• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Sweet Canyon, The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway - Vid/Images

sfarson

Few weeks ago, in between flurries on an Indian Summer day packed a small digital cam and the helmet cam. Recorded a spirited ride up a sweet and lonely canyon, then took a few pics along the Peak-toPeak Scenic Byway. In case interest:

Here's the map of the ride...
ksp2pmap800.jpg

The first stop was an outdoor lunch at the Stone Cup in Lyons. Note the helmet with the industrial velcro on the left jaw side. This is the cam helmet. Can see the edge of the helmet in the upper right of the recording...
k1200sstonecup800.jpg

Here's the onboard video of the 3000ft. ascent of St. Vrain Canyon to the Peak-to-Peak. Late autumnal colors give way to early winter as altitude is attained. Nevertheless, the razor blue sky and the sun dance with the video make this a sweet K ride. The exhaust note is present along with the tune "Under the Milky Way".

The St. Vrain Canyon - Onboard Video Ride

First stop on the Scenic Byway is a pause at the southern end of Rocky Mountain National Park. This is the Wild Basin area with 13,161ft. Copeland Mtn. guarding the southern flanks...
k1200swildbasin800.jpg

Working our way south the granite K bike acknowledges the granite ramparts of Mt. Meeker (13,911ft.) on the right. The middle peak is Chief's Head. Can you see the source for its name?
k1200sallenspark800.jpg

Pausing above Peaceful Valley, homage is given to the Continental Divide with the imposing Sawtooth on the left. I once descended this valley on a cold January day with the hamster between the ears turning the wheel slowly, forgetting there could be ice in the shade. Sheeeeeyikes! as the cheeks left a raised ridge on the seat...
k1200speacefulvalley800.jpg

And the last pause, with the timeless Indian Peaks somehow affirming they will be waiting for you and I after winter's act...
k1200sindianpeaks800.jpg

Gorgeous!

Great pics and awesome video! Thanks for sharing. :thumb

I love that area and hope to ride it again. :usa

Great video, I don't think I could hold my head still that long, you did a great job! Nice choice in bikes, too, by the way! How do you like the slip on? I'm looking for something not as huge as the torpedo the factory stuck on there, but don't really want it louder...........I guess that's a differant thread......

Great pics and video, I realy want to get back out west sometime soon.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and video. It brought back memories from my ride in that area two summers ago in Colorado.

Great video, I don't think I could hold my head still that long, you did a great job! Nice choice in bikes, too, by the way! How do you like the slip on? I'm looking for something not as huge as the torpedo the factory stuck on there, but don't really want it louder...........I guess that's a differant thread......

Great pics and video, I realy want to get back out west sometime soon.

Thanks all. It was a good ride. Something about a late autumn, quiet roads, perhaps a wish time would move slowly and the day not end.

John... That's a full Akropovic exhaust on this bike coupled with the Evoluzione race filters. The air box was dremeled so more air could be inhaled. The thing scoots and it sounds pure race. BMW has placed one of the sweetest inline 4 exhaust notes I've heard with the K12S.

Nice

Hi Steve,

Another great video. LOVED the engine noise at the end of the video! You're the KING!!!!

:clap :bow :clap :bow

Paul

Wow, what a nice video (wish the exhaust note was louder on the soundtrack, though)

Brought back fond memories of my younger days in New Mexico on my K100RS; cruising along I-25 at 90-120mph, passing cars like they were standing still...:german :bolt :blush :eat

No plans on the horizon to return to the old world. Plan on spending time re-visiting the wild west. Might hear from me in your backyard next summer. Here's my "new" ride on the way to Lassen the week before Halloween.

430860393_vEVEu-L.jpg

No plans on the horizon to return to the old world. Plan on spending time re-visiting the wild west. Might hear from me in your backyard next summer. Here's my "new" ride on the way to Lassen the week before Halloween.

430860393_vEVEu-L.jpg

Paul... Make it as far east as CO and we could hook up. Could chat the Alps and explore ghost and semi-ghost towns. Rides of exploration are high on my list in '09. Personally, they tend to be the most memorable of rides. The other day a friend and I took the supertankers deep in the Pike National Forest and were laughing our helmets off at every stop in the mud, snow, and slush.

gsadvstonypass.jpg

Thanks, Steve. Love the video - actually had me leaning in the turns. And beautiful pics, too! :clap :clap :clap

Dan... Good to hear from you! BTW, saw your snowy pic again in the holiday Aerostich catalog just received. Looks like you had a fine day for a ride :laugh

Excellent stuff as always!

The Echo Lake vid was especially gripping for me. I'd done those roads several times in the car with my non-riding best friend who lives in Denver, but this summer I finally got to ride them on the way to Gillette. I recognised several spots along the way and the memories are great. Can't wait to ride up there again sometime.

This was taken along that road:
337413279_3yWeT-M.jpg

Peak to Peak

Awesome, Steve; I loved the pace, and knocking off the slower traffic. Good choice of sound track, too.

I take it enforcement is light this time of year? :D

Back