• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW To Kill the Air Cooled Engine

"Insiders" - looks like a buncha'hooey to me. The article misses the fact that BMW gave up on air-cooled engines back in 1994 when the R1100 engine was first introduced as an OIL-cooled boxer engine.

Everything else (nothing really) in the article is factually correct (not.) :bolt

"Insiders" - looks like a buncha'hooey to me. The article misses the fact that BMW gave up on air-cooled engines back in 1994 when the R1100 engine was first introduced as an OIL-cooled boxer engine.

Everything else (nothing really) in the article is factually correct (not.) :bolt

Well, since we are talking semantics, the current boxer is Air and Oil cooled with air being the predominant cooling medium. Calling it Air Cooled is not incorrect. I would not be surprised if the article has some basis in reality.

Well, since we are talking semantics, the current boxer is Air and Oil cooled with air being the predominant cooling medium. Calling it Air Cooled is not incorrect. I would not be surprised if the article has some basis in reality.

I remember reading a few years ago when the emission requirements for Europe first came out that the air/oil cooled boxer probably wouldn't meet the standards. I don't think BMW would kill the boxer engine all together, so a water cooled version may replace it. That being said, there are some purists who would balk at such a change. Just as the airhead purists rag on the oilhead, etc.

Just speculating here guys.

I actually don't agree. The vestigial fins on the cylinders are for show.. as are the fins on the valve covers. The only ones that might do some cooling are those on the head, and even they are minimalist compared to the airhead engines.

The fact that the authority bikes can, and do, idle for long periods of time without any tendency to overheat just by the addition of some cooling fans on the oil cooler pretty much proves this.. as does the addition on the R1200 engines of a secondary oil pump and oil circuit just for moving the oil through the oil cooler(s)..

Might there be some aircooling going on? Mebbe - but not much more then would be if the cooling medium was water.

I remember reading a few years ago when the emission requirements for Europe first came out that the air/oil cooled boxer probably wouldn't meet the standards.
I remember that also - and it was also speculation and rumors. The fact that BMW introduced the R1200 engine AFTER these regulations took effect means that they DID manage to meet the standards without going to water cooling.

Same story, same rumors, new day. Same validity IMHO - none.

Then every engine is Air Cooled by fins, oil radiator, water radiator.

It does not surprise me.

I wonder if the other magazine in question is http://bmwmcmag.com/magazine/ who has just taken on Sandy?

Semantics aside the Cam Head attempts to address some of the efficient burning and other emissions issues. It may not be able to get BMW across the new testing hurdles in some markets such as the EU that are going to a test model that attempts to better reflect emissions in the real world than the current dyno testing does. Cool temp concerns would be a bigger issue in those tests that the revised head may not be able to deal with.

In the end ÔÇô
The world did not end when the oil head came into play replacing the pure airhead.
Rather a case of ÔÇô The King is dead long live the King ÔÇô I expect the same if this story is based in fact.

:lurk

I expect the next iteration will be some sort of liquid cooled cylinder head first.

When Suzuki introduced the 1985 GSXR750R it was the first modern engine to use Air/oil cooling. If you look at the design om both that and the oilhead boxers, You see large capacity oil coolers and additional oil passages through the engine to get oil to the hot spots (valve seats, back of piston crown, etc.) and maintain temps.

I am not disagreeing as to the effectiveness. I think it is a simple and fairly elegant design. But the water jackets around the cylinders and heads in a "liquid cooled engine" are a whole different beast and with the use of thermostats and electric cooling fans can maintain very precise engine temps.

Apples and oranges.

So-

If we assume for a moment that the liquid-cooled engine is eventually coming, does mean that it'll be...

wait for it..............

The WetHead? :laugh

What about the R100RS Airheads? They had oil coolers too because the airhead design could no longer handle the increased power.

I think the culprit is the environment: The engines must run leaner and leaner (and should, anyway) so more of the cooling effect from the fuel goes away.
Also, the race to squeeze more and more horspower out of the same displacement to keep up with the Asian and south-of-the German border competition does not help either.

Water cooling is technologically easier than oil cooling, also, it saves horsepower to not have to pump heavy oil through the coolers and to places in the engine where it is not needed for lubrication at all. That's what oil should be used for, a lubricant rather than a coolant.

I remember reading a few years ago when the emission requirements for Europe first came out that the air/oil cooled boxer probably wouldn't meet the standards. I don't think BMW would kill the boxer engine all together, so a water cooled version may replace it. That being said, there are some purists who would balk at such a change. Just as the airhead purists rag on the oilhead, etc.

Just speculating here guys.

And not with some little justification I might add.
aaaaaa slash7

More than 35% of the cooling in your car engine comes from heat radiating from the engine compartment, separate from the cooling that comes from the radiator. Hanging the cylinders out in the open breeze probably bumps that up to at least 50% with no air cooling fins or oil radiator at all. The only disadvantage of using oil as a coolant is a lower heat transfer capacity compared to water. This means you have to pump the oil through the system faster than you would water. One significant issue with water vs oil cooling is that water's heat transfer ability is lowered when used with the ethylene glycol coolant. The difference between oil and water cooing is not that great. Boxer engines can probably survive into the future just fine the way they are today.

It's got to be

global heating, that couple of degree warmer global temp will melt every Air-head by 2022. We will be out of oil for oil cooling by 2047 and next is water, which should be gone by 2087.

HOWEVER, Anheuser-Busch InBev N.V. (AB InBev), is working with BMW to develop a beer based product that will cool both man and machine. Thank the barley gods for research.

I thought the "Wet Head" was dead.:rolleyes

(With lip service apologies to some hair spray company from the 70's).

Liquid cooled GS

You know that liquid cooled GS could be a prototype, the first K bike didn't show up overnight.

global heating, that couple of degree warmer global temp will melt every Air-head by 2022. We will be out of oil for oil cooling by 2047 and next is water, which should be gone by 2087.

HOWEVER, Anheuser-Busch InBev N.V. (AB InBev), is working with BMW to develop a beer based product that will cool both man and machine. Thank the barley gods for research.

that rumor is totally false. i mean, c'mon. before AB can work on a beer-cooled machine with BMW, they would have to learn how to brew beer. Now, if you said they were working on a bovine urine based cooling system, that i could believe.

Back