• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The 12th way to die, a forum paradox

I bet this will seperate into two lines of thought...those that dislike technology and those that embrace it...sounds like when the K-bike and the oilheads came to be:stick Most will find if they at least try it before condemning it they will maybe see some of the benefits.

I have bikes with and without bells and whistles. I see it no different than my former 1959 carburated Microbus with nothing to my 2003 Dodge FI Diesel with a radio and a CD player. Times and technlogy have changed.

I have a GPS/XM. Do not use it all the time... listening to the prompts in congested areas sure is safer than map gazing for me. I still use the map on my tank as well when out in the clear. Listening to the music makes me happy...an idle mind is a dangerous place to be for me...too many deep thoughts:brow

I do not make phone calls when rolling in/on any vehicle...big peeve of mine

Radar detector...own one but rarely use it unless I know I am intentionally going to exceed the posted limits...and I still got a ticket the last time I did that and am on double super secret probation:deal I had the heads up HARD display so really not a distraction unless the red LED started flashing and I started looking when I knew better.

Riding is a high risk already, getting lulled into an electronic trance is ...it's how one perceives his/her comfort zone...so I say ride your own ride...just be careful and stay out of my lane and off my tail. Staring at the white lines can also put one in a trance...

I bet the pilots here are chuckling...how about heads up displays for the future of motorcycling:laugh I can see the new gen K1200LT with it now

oh yeah...53 years old and 40 years of two wheelin'

Very well said:clap

A green motorcycle is bad luck

Don't tell Scott Russell, Eddie Lawson, Gary Nixon, Tommy and Roger Lee Hayden, Ricky Carmichael, Bubba Stewart, Jeff Emig, Destry Abbott, Jeff Fredette, Ricky Gadson...

Attachments

• 2775773180_54b7c5d570.jpg
    2775773180_54b7c5d570.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 139
What do you think of these flames???

878CIMG2327.JPG

& Yvonne DuHammel

Don't tell Scott Russell, Eddie Lawson, Gary Nixon, Tommy and Roger Lee Hayden, Ricky Carmichael, Bubba Stewart, Jeff Emig, Destry Abbott, Jeff Fredette, Ricky Gadson...

They must have afixed "fairy bells" to counteract the green jinx.:D

I don't think you all are giving yourselves enough credit. This is a safety-minded group and I think most of the riders here make that extra effort to stay safe. That may mean removing a distraction, like the thermometer or radio, or taking the time to learn to use it as an asset. Those farkles that can't be learned well or prove to be more of a distraction than an aid get removed or turned off. I currently use only a gps but I'm not averse to using another farkle if I think it will enhance the ride and not distract me from it. I'm not worried so much about #12 but I do need to add some color to my mostly black attire. At least the bike is yellow.

Riding next to this bike could distract someone more than a GPS...:nyah Only kidding. I like it.

Love the pictures and the flames!

What I am gleaning from this discussion is rather than rationalizing the use of electronic gizmoes or becoming mindless slaves to them you tech adopters have found ways to intelligently use and manage them safely. While I suspected this would be the response the article spurred me to ask the question. Thanks for the discussion and the pictures.

I have a GPS and a second mount that either has a radar detector or camera, depending on my mood. Add to those my Scala Q2 intercom which is linked to my GPS and phone...I rarely have used the phone when riding, but I do like to see if I'm missing an important call so I can pull over and get back with whomever. My garmin 550 works as a caller ID when paired to my iPhone.

So here goes...I agree with others that I believe that the voice prompts on the GPS are safer than glancing at a map in unfamiliar territory. As far as music, I go back and forth. I enjoy the sound of the engine and the rush of the wind as much as anyone, but I also like a little rock-&-roll to liven things up once-in-a-while. The intercom gets used occaisionally, but I find that I enjoy riding with a pillion rider who knows when to hush and enjoy the ride more than someone who yammers on. My soon-to-be-ex-wife was one of the latter.

In the end, I can and do enjoy my rides with all farkles humming, and at other times with nothing at all except my own thoughts. Since I can have it either way, I do.

We can look at these things as distractions or see them as things that keep us engaged. In my occupation, it is well understood that errors occur more frequently when things are slow as opposed to when things are hopping. It just could be that I'm safer on the bike when my mind is fully engaged. I can't disagree with those here who prefer solitude either though. I guess it's all just a reflection of our own individual personalities and preferences.

After reading that article titled "A Dozen Ways to Die". It kinda reminded me about the "Ten Ways To Die".

Attachments

• 10 WAYS.jpg
    10 WAYS.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 95
Reminds me of some boating discussion I have had, new boater becomes so fixated on GPS, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc he runs into another boater because he forgets to look where he is going. For me the end line is these are devices that provide input. You still need a brain with a good filter to decide what, were, and how much input you want. Some people become fixated on any shiny thing, they should not drive with shiny things.

One of my reasons for riding and enjoyment of riding is to get away from "intrusive" technology. I only carry a phone for outbound calls. And I avoid GPS because I kinda look forward to being "lost." I like the idea that I'm navigating by general compass points. I will find new roads this way. The map is a back up plan. If there is a true destination and a time issue, I'll write directions in advance and place in tank bag window. This comment is no judgment on others, just what works for me. The safety-distraction issue is another matter. Everyone has their own skills, styles and tolerances--but--in general I think the extra devices would be a distraction for many, if not all riders. It would be easy to justify the opposite conclusion if you're already invested in the gadget.
Recent experiment: Two groups were asked to memorize a number. Group One had to memorize a two digit number. Group Two had to memorize a seven digit number. After fifteen minutes, both groups were asked to choose between a snack of fresh fruit, or very rich chocolate cake. Almost everyone in Group One chose fresh fruit, and almost everyone in Group Two chose the cake. The distraction of the memorizing of the extra digits could have been the reason for the poor decision of Group Two. It also took each member of Group Two much longer to make the decision. When riding, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BE INDECISIVE--GOOD, AND TIMELY DECISIONS ARE AS IMPORTANT AS GOOD SKILLS.
Ok, I just hopped off the soap box. I enjoyed the thread.

I feel that a GPS is much less of a distraction than a map, and trying to find roadsigns, ect. One quick glance, and you see where you are supposed to turn, or hear it announced without looking.

Admittadly this only works if you have a destination when you begin your ride.

Also, to me it's nice to just take off riding, and not worrry about where you have been, where you are going. When you are ready to head home punch in home and follow the arrows....

I feel the GPS is a safety plus because I can be driving/riding defensively and not trying to find road a or street signs. It also gives me some warning so I have time get into the proper lane.

I enjoy all of my distractions. I also have a camera with a wrist strap on my arm.

Attachments

• RTE Texas 2010 020.jpg
    RTE Texas 2010 020.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 52
LOL....Dave, I'm sure you realize that you have 3 CompassÔÇÖs?

somehow just struck me funny.

That is the first RS I have seen with flames. But you know what they say. "What ever floats your boat" :wave

Bud, those were on it when I bought it in Colorado. Believe it or not, the guy paid over $800 in material & labor! I considered getting a can of Wallmart rattlecan black before leaving for home, or a satin pink riding suit - was afraid of what might follow me home though. It was looking much better 1 week later.

LOL....Dave, I'm sure you realize that you have 3 CompassÔÇÖs?

somehow just struck me funny.

And I always trust the one on the right.:) A lot of my riding is with the GPS's off. At times they annoy me. I do find the GPS's very handy in large cities in rush hour traffic. They are both programed slightly different.

Does the old saying does a man with to watches know what time it really is come to anyone elses mind?
:stick

Bud, those were on it when I bought it in Colorado. Believe it or not, the guy paid over $800 in material & labor! I considered getting a can of Wallmart rattlecan black before leaving for home, or a satin pink riding suit - was afraid of what might follow me home though. It was looking much better 1 week later.

I couldn't help myself when I saw that and knew you were a boater. Not often I get to use that saying in context.

BTW My favorite boat name is Last Boat III, which I saw on a boat on Lake Michigan.

Back