• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip on Route 66 and more…

whm1226

In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out in the beginning of May and will ride, with two other guys, to Death Valley, Kingman, Grand Canyon, Winslow, Albuquerque and then back to Florida via Little Rock. We are doing as much riding on Old Route 66 as we can do.
Since I have never ridden out west I am looking for some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers, delights, etc.
I know what to watch for in Florida and in the PA area like alligators, greasy old possums and deer but I don't know much about out west.

I am riding a 2004 K1200GT. Tires, Battery, fluids and air filter have just been renewed. Any tips are appreciated.

Last edited:
In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out in the beginning of May and will ride, with two other guys, to Death Valley, Kingston, Grand Canyon, Winslow, Albuquerque and then back to Florida via Little Rock. We are doing as much riding on Old Route 66 as we can do.
Since I have never ridden out west I am looking for some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers, delights, etc.
I know what to watch for in Florida and in the PA area like alligators, greasy old possums and deer but I don't know much about out west.

I am riding a 2004 K1200GT. Tires, Battery, fluids and air filter have just been renewed. Any tips are appreciated.

Water, water, water. Snakes and scorpions when you stop to rest. They move from shade to shade in heat of the day. Just pay attention. Maybe a liter fuel can if you are unsure of your gas stops. Didn't say whether you were experienced long distance rider or not. If this a big daily miles trip, watch for fatigue particularly with high ambient temperatures. A good basic emergency medical kit if you are going to be doing some remote side roads off the beaten path. Plenty of YouTube videos on that. Look for the Preppers' videos, they've done the research, and the best ones focus on weight savings, perfect for packing out the bike.

Best tip already given above. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Water, water, water. Snakes and scorpions when you stop to rest. They move from shade to shade in heat of the day. Just pay attention. Maybe a liter fuel can if you are unsure of your gas stops. Didn't say whether you were experienced long distance rider or not. If this a big daily miles trip, watch for fatigue particularly with high ambient temperatures. A good basic emergency medical kit if you are going to be doing some remote side roads off the beaten path. Plenty of YouTube videos on that. Look for the Preppers' videos, they've done the research, and the best ones focus on weight savings, perfect for packing out the bike.

Best tip already given above. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Thank you for the tips. I do a bit of long distance riding but not regularly. I do pack a first aid kit that is always in my tank bag. I will be sure to include snake and scorpion first aid. Good tip...
I did not think about the extra fuel can. Thanks for that!
Our mileage will be about 300 per day with sightseeing. Once I hit Little Rock I will be slabbing it to just get home.
Extra water and extra fuel... Extra memory card for the camera... Peppers' videos...

Okay. Thanks to all.

I will be sure to include snake and scorpion first aid. Good tip...
I did not think about the extra fuel can. Thanks for that!

When you stop, hang your helmet on the bike, do not place it on the ground. We had been to Texas many times before a local warned us we might find a Scorpion in our helmet if we placed them on the ground.
We have toured in the Southwest quite a bit and have never carried extra fuel. Just be careful and don't try to stretch you tank range. When in doubt, fill early.

When you stop, hang your helmet on the bike, do not place it on the ground. We had been to Texas many times before a local warned us we might find a Scorpion in our helmet if we placed them on the ground.
We have toured in the Southwest quite a bit and have never carried extra fuel. Just be careful and don't try to stretch you tank range. When in doubt, fill early.

Good advise on both items. I will watch out for the Tar Snakes too.

April shouldn't be too hot, but as others have said keep hydrated--it's a drying heat. Keep in mind it can snow in April at higher elevations. Flagstaff gets more snow on April 1 than Christmas.

From Death Valley are you heading south to pick up 66? Kelbaker Road is a nice road through the Mojave National Preserve from Baker, CA to 66 near Amboy, CA.

Arizona from Needles, CA almost to Flagstaff has one of the longest, if not the longest, section of old 66. I'll suggest lunch in Oatman, overnight in Kingman, and lunch in Seligman at the Snowcap Drive In. Between Williams, AZ and the Canyon in Valle, AZ is the Planes of Fame Museum that is worth a stop.

From Flagstaff to the NM border I-40 pretty much obliterated 66. You can get a sense of the old road by taking County Road 505, BIA 15, State Route 264 from Winona (a little east of Flagstaff) through Leupp, Ganado, and Window Rock. Beautiful roads, lightly traveled through the Navajo Nation. Gas is available all along the route. Continue on to US491 and Gallup NM.

Thank you jkersh1. Right now it looks like we head east almost back to Vegas/Boulder City after Death Valley. I'll take a look at your route to get over there to Kingman. I like those less-traveled routes. So do my riding buddies. We get on 66 between Kingman and Seligman. The Snowcap Drive-in sound good.
We are stopping at the Planes of Fame too.
Thanks

Kingman. Kingman. As in the Kingman Trio, Hang Down Your Head, etc.
Tar snakes. Those are the snakes to watch out for. Don't get any of then in your helmet.
Oatman. That can be fun.
There is a mine at Oatman. Go in there, if you can. If it is open. You will find yourself a few hundred feet under ... Route 66.
dc

What everybody says and:

Wildlife at dusk and on through the night!!! Day time is sleep time but almost everything is out and about after dark. And don't let the desert fool you there's a lot of wildlife out there both small and large. :thumb

100 mile stretch of Rt 66

There's a 100 mile stretch of Rt 66 that you should check out, and some caverns along the way, in case you like that sort of activity.

http://gccaverns.com/about/route-66/

From the website: "The Grand Canyon Caverns is in the middle of the longest stretch of the road still in use…100 miles…of beauty and scenery you will not get on the inter-state. With our classic 1960’s ‘filling’ station, café and shop, we are proud to offer a glimpse back to when traveling by car was more of an adventure and half the fun was just getting there."

As others have said, hydration! I also like starting early (i.e. before dawn) and stopping early (2-3 pm).

Santa Fe, on the northern, abandoned leg of Rt 66 is a "must-see"..... From another website: www.route-66.tv/new-mexico-route66.html

"The first alignment of Route 66, opened in 1926, originally passed through the state capital, Santa Fe, perched at an altitude of 7200 ft., then headed back down to Albuquerque, Gallup, before entering Arizona. In 1937, however, this alignment was abandoned, unanimously considered as too dangerous, uneven and taxing for automobiles."

In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out ... some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers ... Any tips are appreciated.

The only "danger" I can see in your plan is that flying part. Do not do it! Stinky airplanes make you sick and sometimes they kill you. Stay off them and ride your bike. That's what that motor and those wheels are for.

Wow... Good stuff here folks.

Rattlesnakes, scorpions, tar snakes, water... water... water. Some great sites and feeding stops...

This is going to be fun. I do have to fly though.

I read up on the tar snakes. They sound like they can be pretty nasty. I will approach with caution. Years and years ago (1980s) I was lucky enough to take the basic rider course in Pittsburgh from the "Stayin' Safe" riders program. They did teach about wet road surface and paint hazards on the road and crossing them diagonally so I will apply that to the Tar Snakes. I used to live in Pittsburgh before moving to Florida.

Tar Snakes

Wow... Good stuff here folks.

I read up on the tar snakes. They sound like they can be pretty nasty. I will approach with caution. Years and years ago (1980s) I was lucky enough to take the basic rider course in Pittsburgh from the "Stayin' Safe" riders program. They did teach about wet road surface and paint hazards on the road and crossing them diagonally so I will apply that to the Tar Snakes. I used to live in Pittsburgh before moving to Florida.

A few years ago I had to clean my shorts after leaning into a curve and coming across a "black tar snake." The front wheel slid about 3-4" when it hit it. I was fortunate to keep the bike and me upright and I immediately slowed down. I pulled over and personally checked some tar snakes out. (It was a non-busy rural road.) Some had sand imbedded in them. Pushing my foot on one definitely made my foot slide. The hotter the day the more slippery they are. Some other riders stopped and we had a roadside discussion. One rider explained when he hit one going around a curve it caused him to dump him and the bike. I now treat them with respect. In all my road reports I add an estimation of how many (percent) tar snakes are covering the road so other riders will beware.

Have a fun and safe trip.

take along

When I road down to Texas, I had a fur cover on the seat. Sweat and vinyl seats makes for an uncomfortable ride. Maybe a small bottle of Monkey Butt. I also have a motorcycle tire plug kit and a Slime cycle compressor. It doesn't have a rasp, just a pointed smooth probe. The plugs are cone shaped and are pushed in with the probe. The plug kit I bought at a Triumph dealer. It also came with c o 2 cylinders, but I bought the compressor to use instead. If you would like I can see what the name is on the plug kit.

When I road down to Texas, I had a fur cover on the seat. Sweat and vinyl seats makes for an uncomfortable ride. Maybe a small bottle of Monkey Butt. I also have a motorcycle tire plug kit and a Slime cycle compressor. It doesn't have a rasp, just a pointed smooth probe. The plugs are cone shaped and are pushed in with the probe. The plug kit I bought at a Triumph dealer. It also came with c o 2 cylinders, but I bought the compressor to use instead. If you would like I can see what the name is on the plug kit.

The name of the plug kit would be good info. I do have a tire patch kit but it is not the "Plug" type. I will try to find that compressor too. I have one but it takes up too much room in the bag. Where do you carry the Slime?
I have a sheep skin pad but I put a Russell Day-Long on the bike and it is now very high. I can't get my feet both flat at a stop. I am on the balls of my feet with just the Russell saddle. I also have an Air Hawk that I can no longer use with this saddle.

Thanks for the info Franko!

There are little compressors out there 12 v; one is $120 but I have the $10 one and like others have said, it works fine, and is very small, just a little larger than a pack of cigarettes.
Get the worm type plugs. The screw driver with a slit in the end pushes it in, and the tire holds it from coming out when you pull out the screw driver.
Actually, you pull it 1/2 out, and cut it off.
That has worked twice for me after the tpm told me there was a tire problem.
dc

Back