• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ISDT Airhead

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
If you have been following the ISDT (International Six Days Trials) for any length of time, this might look interesting. It's a picture of something that Max BMW has dreamed up- and it looks like fun.

4855_64259.jpg

OM

21" wheel up front?
I'm not sure Lew, a little more info-

This is the bike you wish BMW had made. We took a toaster tank slash five, gave it a suspension boost, a bigger front wheel, more bore, a sexy ISDT exhaust, some knobbies and a few other fancy and functional features. You really have to see this bike to believe it. Currently at the CT store, it will be on tour this month to each of our other locations.

There might be more on the Max website.

It's a picture of something that Max BMW has dreamed up-

A similar discussion going on in our parallel universe (aka advrider) revealed that this is a pre-owned bike, and it is for sale.

Just as a price reference, someone noted that the exhaust system was a $3,700 BMW unit (BMW? maybe Siebenrock?) ...
icon_eek.gif

see > http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=4855

scramblerpreview.jpg

Interesting to note; the rear brake arm is in the "stock" orientation. Wonder how long it would last there out in the boonies?

Herbert Schek, 1973 IDST
(note position of rear brake arm)
daltoncinghie.jpg

But then that's probably a moot question. How many off-road miles do you think this bike has ever seen?

4855_64272.jpg

Nice project nevertheless!

This bike seems modeled after the very early enduro bikes BMW built in the 50's and the G/S prototypes of the 70's. I recently watched an awesome 3 part video series produced by NorenFilms to celebrate the 30 year GS anniversary. (OK I am late to this party!) I learned a bunch of stuff I never knew!

As a new to me 81 GS owner I found this stuff absolutely fascinating.

Part One here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAI3Bg-ZmQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Part Two here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3MLt5OlMA&feature=fvwrel

Part Three here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5tAtSyxJ6c&feature=fvwrel

Interesting interpretation...Beautiful bike but not competition oriented

Most BMW 6-day machines and off road airheads in general from both factory and privateer efforts use dirt style foot pegs. The rubber street style become treacherous slippery when wet and muddy. Turning the brake arm up on the final drive entails cutting the cam and welding it on backwards to work upside down. The solid brake rod causes the brakes to engage the drum on full extension hence the cable with an extra long sheathe. That is a L O N G /5 brake arm and yes, it is very vulnerable. Running off road, one must even protect the drain plug on the final drive as it can be knocked right out of the casting by rocks. I noted the G/S oil pan and bash plate. A good idea but there needs to be more protection on the sides too...BMW made a large bash plate for the PD bikes and its got good coverage and fits the same G/S pan. The drive shaft / swing arm is very short for off road duty. Little useable ground clearance but it is robust and with a 4 speed should serve quite well. The ride quality would be just awful. Notes say they increased the suspension...probably the shock length. The foot brake pedal looks vulnerable but I've run my dirt Beemer with one like if for 25 years and never lost it yet. The front fender is pretty but will create a mud pack that will stop the wheel and probably break off the first good spill. On serious ISDT bikes, the cylinders and heads had every other fin ground off to make it easy to clean mud out of the fins for cooling. There are no spill guards either...THOSE are very necessary. That beautiful /5 headlight would be just so much scrap metal and without a lens in front of the incandescent bulb, you may as well have a candle in your hand after dark (it needs a wire guard to keep rocks from breaking the glass). Those /5 and /6 style gas tank caps pop open and the tanks are not mounted strong enough for serious off road work.
So, it's got a real-(neat) looking ISDT exhaust system, knobby tires, a 21 inch front wheel and it looks like it will climb a tree if it could get traction. Way too heavy and far too clean though :)

Back