• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paralever bushing failure

I hope I am not throwing this old this old thread too far astray. But how often are the aftermarket bronze bushings supposed to inspected and or regreased. Mine have been in for three and one half years and twenty thousand miles. I used the Honda Moly as recommended by Tom Cutter.

Thanks,
Mark

Installed mine @ 32,900miles, in 2008.
Had to send the FD to Tom for rebuild @ 39,500mi. Bushings looked nearly new. This was July 2009.
Had to send the tranny to Tom for rebuild @ 50,000mi. Bushings looked excellent. May 2011.

I'm at just over 64,000mi now, and I don't plan on checking them again until I decide to do a spline lube. I check frequently & rear wheel is solid as a rock. I also used the 'drop method' to torque the pin, no loctite on threads. But I do put a drop between the locknut & swingarm. Both pin & locknut are indexed to the swingarm, and neither has ever moved.....

Paul -- Moly in the Trans?

Paul -- 1. What are the advantages of Moly in a BMW Trans? (I have a 1995 R100GS-PD and a 1999 R1100S)
2. What 'Moly' would you recommend in the Trans, and how much?
3. Would you recommend adding Moly at every Trans Oil Change? Every-other change? Because some/much of the Moly remains within the Trans, even when the oil is drained 'hot'.

Thanx, Sgt Colt

Paul -- 1. What are the advantages of Moly in a BMW Trans? (I have a 1995 R100GS-PD and a 1999 R1100S)
2. What 'Moly' would you recommend in the Trans, and how much?
3. Would you recommend adding Moly at every Trans Oil Change? Every-other change? Because some/much of the Moly remains within the Trans, even when the oil is drained 'hot'.

Thanx, Sgt Colt

In 1985 Oak Okleshen recommended I use Dow Corning "Gear Guard" which was/is an industrial gearbox oil additive. I have used a moly additive in every transmission and final drive containing gear oil since. I no longer live in a metro area where I can run down to the bearing supply house and get an additive so I now use the internet. I am currently using GD401 Gear Oil Additive from Guard Dog Moly Lubricants.

Moly in a gear oil additive is finely ground molybdenum disulfide powder in suspenion in gear oil. Depending on the brand it is added 3% to 10% or so by volume - depending on the concentration of the moly in the additive. And you are right- since some moly remains coating things when the oil is drained a lower concentration can be used on repeated oil changes.

For a reasonable discussion of the lubricating properties of moly go her: https://guarddogmoly.com/what-is-moly/

You can find similar inforaamtion from Dow Corning about Molykote and from other suppliers as well.

Back