• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stay Away From Deal's Gap

N

NICKC

Just my $.02. We were there on a Saturday afternoon during the RA Rally at Asheville (Biltmore) (my 4th time since 1994). It was beyond crazy. We saw three wrecks involving 1 fatality. One head-on between 2 bikes, one rear-end with a pickup, and one lost it and flew off the cliff, and this was just during the time we rode up to the summit. We declined to ride back down because the cops and EMT's had traffic held up. If you like a mix of semi's, pickups hauling boats, tourists in cages, Harley's trying to be CBR's, Crotch rockets trying to set land speed records while trying to pass everyone else, then "The Dragon" is for you. Just remember, it bites. Don't be fooled. It is like this every weekend in the Summer. In fact the odds of a vicious wreck are so good, that there are film crews from squid websites at many turns waiting for you to turn into road pizza. Consider yourself warned.
End of rant.:nono

Ride the Gap on Monday through Thursday. Friday, Sat, and Sunday are for the idiots/rookies/squids. Also, fewer LEOs Mon-Thur.

My First Georgia Mountain Rally back in 1996 I stopped at a shop in Ashville on the way down to get a new rear tire and was shown an entire yard full of wrecked bikes, then as I was looking a pickup truck showed up with yet another. These were all wrecks from Deal's Gap, and all were just the ones awaiting the insurance adjusters. When I finally got to Deal's Gap a day later I was literally at the first turn and came upon a guy standing in the middle of the road (he was fine, just shaken), his bike had just rocketed off the side into a deep ditch.

Check out the odd angle of the VERY bent swimgarm:
geo96_deals4.gif

Deal's Gap is one of those "do once" things that is far more hype than reality, and has been for some time. If you have a taste for the twisties, Wolf's Pen Gap is longer, twistier, less crowded and in better shape.

geo96_sign1.gif

If you do go to Deal's Gap, just be mindful that you have about a 100% chance of coming across a wreck or getting a ticket, or both.

Last edited:
Just my $.02. We were there on a Saturday afternoon during the RA Rally at Asheville (Biltmore) (my 4th time since 1994). It was beyond crazy. We saw three wrecks involving 1 fatality. One head-on between 2 bikes, one rear-end with a pickup, and one lost it and flew off the cliff, and this was just during the time we rode up to the summit. We declined to ride back down because the cops and EMT's had traffic held up. If you like a mix of semi's, pickups hauling boats, tourists in cages, Harley's trying to be CBR's, Crotch rockets trying to set land speed records while trying to pass everyone else, then "The Dragon" is for you. Just remember, it bites. Don't be fooled. It is like this every weekend in the Summer. In fact the odds of a vicious wreck are so good, that there are film crews from squid websites at many turns waiting for you to turn into road pizza. Consider yourself warned.
End of rant.:nono

Sort of sounds like independence pass or trail ridge road or beartooth pass on any given weekend.

I was there on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday after the RA Rally and it was fantastic. Not very crowded and we had a great time. I read all the reviews and was a little nervous the first time through but realized it wasn't nearly as bad as the naysayers made it sound.

I think most folks going (especially for the first time) are warned to stay away on the weekends as that would naturally be busy and possibly dangerous.

Ride the Gap on Monday through Thursday. Friday, Sat, and Sunday are for the idiots/rookies/squids. Also, fewer LEOs Mon-Thur.

+1!

I have 'slayed the Dragon' many times..............simply don't do it on a weekend, when the 'locals' take over and spoil things.

Great Ride!

I did 25k miles on the bikes last year and the last thing I want is a road with heavy traffic.

Run the gap EARLY mid week and you can have a ball, then stop for breakfast at the CROT and watch the circus ride in. It is worth doing, if for no other reason than to tell people you did it.

Then take off and ride the thousands of miles of roads in Va, NC, Tn, Ga and WVa, that are just as good, some even more technical with no traffic and no LEO's. I will guarantee you I know a few sections of pavement that make the gap look like a straight road, but if I tell you where, I would have to glue your fingers together so you couldn't post up there location.

Run the gap EARLY mid week and you can have a ball, then stop for breakfast at the CROT and watch the circus ride in. It is worth doing, if for no other reason than to tell people you did it.

Then take off and ride the thousands of miles of roads in Va, NC, Tn, Ga and WVa, that are just as good, some even more technical with no traffic and no LEO's. I will guarantee you I know a few sections of pavement that make the gap look like a straight road, but if I tell you where, I would have to glue your fingers together so you couldn't post up there location.

I agree. If you want to enjoy the Gap, ride it before you ride the good roads. Otherwise, you will be very disappointed (like I was).

+1!

I have 'slayed the Dragon' many times..............simply don't do it on a weekend, when the 'locals' take over and spoil things.

Great Ride!

Actually it's not the" locals" that spoil things . It's the squids from out of town that do that . Go by the store and get a Dragon decal then leave immediately before the LEO's ,under orders of the Guv., writes you a ticket for doing 5 over .

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.

The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Actions that may cause a motorcyclist to be identified as a squid are those that are seen as reckless or excessive, such as gratuitous speeding, or performing wheelies or stoppies in the midst of other traffic.

A rider may also be labeled a squid by favoring clothing such as shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and so-called wifebeater shirts - or no shirt at all - over appropriate motorcycling attire, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.

It is important to note that a lack of safety equipment is not normative of squidly behavior. Many squids wear safety equipment, although this may be purely for aesthetic purposes. Similarly, squids are stereotyped to be young males who ride sport bikes, but the term may be used to insult any motorcyclist's behavior or skill as being immature or unsafe.

Because a squid eschews all or many of the social and legal norms of riding behavior, they are usually looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who may refer to them as "organ donors", "zip-splats", "skin crayons", or "soon-to-be ex-motorcyclists"[1].

The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is often said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, such as "Super Quick Until I Die", although this and other such acronyms are likely backronyms.

Another possible origin for the term is that it may have originally referred to newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the 1960s, who sometimes used inexpensive two-stroke motorcycles for transportation. The term could have referred to these unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" moving through traffic rapidly and leaving a trail of black "ink" (the characteristic dark colored two-stroke exhaust) behind. However Squid was also a more general derogatory term for sailors of this time.

Motorcyclists may also note similarities between how a squid rides and the manner in which a squid swims. Squids may appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near stop, but then accelerate very rapidly. Squid motorcyclists may have difficulty negotiating turns at normal rates of speed due to a lack of riding skill, but tend to ride at high speeds on straight sections of road.

The usage of 'Squid' as a term for the irresponsible rider also draws a correlation to how the sea creatures' lives can swiftly end. Bad motorcycle accidents usually result in the engine being compromised leaving the motor's oil all over the road. This is analogous to ink ejected by a squid while trying to escape a predator. With this usage "Squidding out" is commonly employed. When accompanied by a pool of blood this idea becomes more graphically linked.

Squidward . . .

Isn't one of Sponge Bob Square Pants friends named Squidward? Maybe he's a biker?!

Very entertaining Wezul
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

I have ridden the gap many times and I ride down from Pa just to do so. Always arrive on Sunday night after the maddness and really enjoy the Dragon and the other area roads on Monday and Tuesday. It's challenging and entertaining and worth the trip. Ben and his staff at the store, motel, and campground are always great and have never had problems with LEO's as long as your not acting like an idiot. On my Gs I ride aggressive in third gear almost the whole way through dragging footpegs and I can't think of a better place to challenge yourself to be a better rider within your limits. Never tried the weekend and probably won't, scheduling is the key to the gap.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I have ridden the gap many times and I ride down from Pa just to do so. Always arrive on Sunday night after the maddness and really enjoy the Dragon and the other area roads on Monday and Tuesday. It's challenging and entertaining and worth the trip. Ben and his staff at the store, motel, and campground are always great and have never had problems with LEO's as long as your not acting like an idiot. On my Gs I ride aggressive in third gear almost the whole way through dragging footpegs and I can't think of a better place to challenge yourself to be a better rider within your limits. Never tried the weekend and probably won't, scheduling is the key to the gap.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to go down there in a month or so on my K. I did it in my car once and there was litterally only one other car there. I think I was there at about 4 or 5pm on a Wednesday though :dunno

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to go down there in a month or so on my K. I did it in my car once and there was litterally only one other car there. I think I was there at about 4 or 5pm on a Wednesday though :dunno

I've been through there between Christmas and New Years when there wasn't but about six bikes riding the Dragon -- that and a half-dozen cars (including us) -- we had the place to ourselves for most of the afternoon.

This past week I rode through in the morning before 10:00AM -- Tuesday and Friday -- light traffic both mornings. I had been warned by friends in the area to go during a week-day morning and I'm glad I did.

I figure the LEOs will have a greatly enhanced presence this year around the time of the Rally which will make it a lot less enjoyable. It will probably make other roads better because they will all be there.

Back