• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kontour seats

ANDYVH

Does anyone have experience riding on a Kontour Komfort airflow seat? I always have to use a beadseat over my Corbin to avoid the discomfort of spring/summer/fall hot seat issues.

Please, don't suggest sheepskins, high-performance undies, monkey butt powder, leather seats, whatever. I have tried them all and nothing works even reasonbly close to a beadseat cover. I just don't particularly care for the beadseat, and over time it does create some pressure points. I have not tried an Airhawk or similar devices, maybe they would work for me, but again I'd have to add it on top of my current seat. I'd prefer a seat that actually provides real airflow.

The Kontour seat claims to do what I need, but it aint cheap. However, if it really works I'd go for it. Right now, the dampy-packies end my riding day far sooner than any back, shoulder or knee issues, none of which I have or can live with. I NEED AIRFLOW!!

I rode a Kontour for a short period before I sold my last K12LT. There was a *lot* of cooling airflow through the K12LT seat -- it performs as advertised.

I wrote a magazine article on rebuilding your seat on your motorcycle. The only vendor that responded with a detailed answer to my questionnaire was Ron K. Miller of Kontour Seats. He is the owner and truly believes in the product. And he sure as hell isn't afraid to discuss it. Something some of those other guys could learn from.

As I plodded through the article, the concept of air-flow and the type of material used in the seat made more and more sense to me. I own an '06LT with a Mayer on it now, but I wish I had known then what I know now.

Yeah, it may be a bit more $'s than the other guys, but you are getting a really good product from someone who has done the research... and if you hit any of these BMW "get-togethers", he's usually there... the dapper looking fellow in the straw boater drooling all over his ice-cream cone. :brow

clicky

And he rides a BMW... The pic is Ron putting his LT on a flat bed at EXR's Treasure of Yosemite ride in 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_4457 _800x600_.jpg
    IMG_4457 _800x600_.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2,148
The proposed beauty of the Kontour seat is the unique material used for construction. Unfortunately Ron Miller is unwilling (at least when I asked him) to send a sample of this material. Incredulous to me that he wont so I elected to not use his product.

I could understand that since it was his work to put together the materials, sources, contacts, engineering, testing, etc, to make it a workable product.
Granted, the Kontour seats are expensive, and I too would like to see one before buying. But if all the reports are good, I'm good to go with it. I just wonder how it holds up after 20,000 or 100,000 to 200,00 miles.

Last edited:
Another Opinion

I had a Kontour seat on my last bike a 1150 GS and as ststed it did as advertised. I went to his shop and he showed me all the layers of the seat. The seat was definatly cooler. However in my case it did not completely solve the problem I had and eventually I replaced it with a Russel seat.

If you are satisfied with the comfort of your seat and you find it too warm, then this is the solution. If the comfort is an issue then try something else.

I had a Kontour seat on my last bike a 1150 GS and as ststed it did as advertised. I went to his shop and he showed me all the layers of the seat. The seat was definatly cooler. However in my case it did not completely solve the problem I had and eventually I replaced it with a Russel seat.

If you are satisfied with the comfort of your seat and you find it too warm, then this is the solution. If the comfort is an issue then try something else.

Comfort in what way, what did you not like about it?

Seat Comfort

Kontour did not alter the shape of the seat, they simply stiffened the foam and put on all the special layers that they do for all seats to keep your butt cool. What I needed was a slightly wider seat to releave the pressure on my tail bone. I have spread some since I was 20.

I have attached a photo of what Russel did. The modified the front to provide a better pocket and the rear to provide a little back rest. I am extremely pleased with this seat and the one they ultimately did for my 1150 GS.

Attachments

• DSCN4247.jpg
    DSCN4247.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,059
Kontour did not alter the shape of the seat, they simply stiffened the foam and put on all the special layers that they do for all seats to keep your butt cool. What I needed was a slightly wider seat to releave the pressure on my tail bone. I have spread some since I was 20.

I have attached a photo of what Russel did. The modified the front to provide a better pocket and the rear to provide a little back rest. I am extremely pleased with this seat and the one they ultimately did for my 1150 GS.

That is a beautiful seat. Does it recline?

Very nice seat, I can see why it works for you. No doubt Russell has a good reputation, a lot of very satisfied customers.

Reclining Seat

No recliner mechanisim, BUT, if i slide forward a little it's kind of like a recliner...

Good luck in you quest for a good seat. It's too bad that BMW doesn't make better seats....

Extremely happy with my BMW Comfort Seat both on my R1200RT and my F650GS twin. They are less money and very comfortable all day long. Why could they not have made this standard equipment?

Jack

I wish something like the comfort seat would work for me. But the issue is not the seat shape, support, firmness, etc, etc, etc. I simply need airflow, and so far either a bead-seat cover, or an Airhawk (maybe) or a Kontour Komfort seat look to be the only type that will work for me.

I want to get a Russell but air flow would still be an issue. After checking out the Airhawk on their site it seems that while flow would likely be increased a little, I can see that there would still be a problem.

Any other recommendations to increase flow on a Russell?

Russell Seat - reply

My only thought would be to have Russel make the seat and Kontour make the cover ?

I want to get a Russell but air flow would still be an issue. After checking out the Airhawk on their site it seems that while flow would likely be increased a little, I can see that there would still be a problem.

Any other recommendations to increase flow on a Russell?

I don't care for them myself, but some others swear by the beaded seat when added.

{ The one with the little wooden barrels }

Back