• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ohlins Shocks

are you sure of that? i haven't looked at a 12RT closely (still loving my '01 dinosaur oilhead), but the parts fiche has the front end looking pretty much like an earlier oilhead front end. which means- the shock absorber/spring is the only thing handling any of the tasks of suspension.
is the R12 front end built considerably differently from the R1XXX series bikes?

nah, shocks are so expensive because they are.
price shocks for any bike- they're costly.

Website says it's a Telelever front end on the R12RT. that means the only job of the forks is to connect the front wheel (and sundry associated) to the handlebars to allow you to steer the bike. So, for all intents and purposes- I'm allowing for some minimal interrelationship with other parts here- ALL suspension duty up front is handled by the shock.

I've got about 10K on the Ohlins on the RT. It transformed that bike into a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.

Had them on my R11S. The S came with BMW's performance shocks; the ones that were a bit taller than the standard ones. The shocks were harsh and shot me out of the seat on sharp bumps. Ohlins eliminated that and got the chassis under control.

Had them on the R11RS. Amazing control of the chassis; the bike felt like you were moving in a straight line and the bike was reaching down to the ground.

I've got an Ohlins on my 98 VFR800. It highlights how crappy the front end is and has made me want to inspire RaceTech stuff up there for 9 years. I'll do it eventually because the rear is that good.

The GS is getting due for shocks at 20K. It'll get Ohlins. I've never had a failure. The ability to get a spring on it that allows me to get the static sag set perfectly, even with two of us and our gear, allows for far more precise handling, comfortable ride and greater chassis control. My ten years of using Ohlins shows that Ohlins equipment is reliable.

I thought the forks still controlled compression and rebound damping. No?

No.

ALL the control functions (damping, support via spring) is done with the shock. The fork legs are there to hold the front wheel in place, and really not for much else. There is nothing in them. NADA. Zilch. Some oil so they slide nicely.

No.

ALL the control functions (damping, support via spring) is done with the shock. The fork legs are there to hold the front wheel in place, and really not for much else. There is nothing in them. NADA. Zilch. Some oil so they slide nicely.

Yes, but the weight and amount of oil should affect the dampining...right or wrong :dunno

I'm glad to learn this for two reasons:

1) I don't have to take them apart and change the oil. I hate working on forks. I hate changing fork oil.

2) I didn't learn this AFTER taking the forks apart because it has been on my to do list!

I've got about 10K on the Ohlins on the RT. It transformed that bike into a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.

Had them on my R11S. The S came with BMW's performance shocks; the ones that were a bit taller than the standard ones. The shocks were harsh and shot me out of the seat on sharp bumps. Ohlins eliminated that and got the chassis under control.

Had them on the R11RS. Amazing control of the chassis; the bike felt like you were moving in a straight line and the bike was reaching down to the ground.

I've got an Ohlins on my 98 VFR800. It highlights how crappy the front end is and has made me want to inspire RaceTech stuff up there for 9 years. I'll do it eventually because the rear is that good.

The GS is getting due for shocks at 20K. It'll get Ohlins. I've never had a failure. The ability to get a spring on it that allows me to get the static sag set perfectly, even with two of us and our gear, allows for far more precise handling, comfortable ride and greater chassis control. My ten years of using Ohlins shows that Ohlins equipment is reliable.

There's know doubt that their great shocks and it's an improvement in how the bike handles that's not why I started this thread . Do you do the required maintenance as I mentioned earlier as per Ohlins requirements? Do you feel it's necessary or do you think it's overkill?

There's know doubt that their great shocks and it's an improvement in how the bike handles that's not why I started this thread . Do you do the required maintenance as I mentioned earlier as per Ohlins requirements? Do you feel it's necessary or do you think it's overkill?

you've gotten answers on that in posts #s 3 & 4.

I'd wait until they start leaking, they stop damping or other issues before I had them rebuilt.

I'd wait until they start leaking, they stop damping or other issues before I had them rebuilt.

why would you make that choice Dave?

jsut like stock shocks, high-end units begin to degrade and lose performance long before they begin to leak (if they ever do) or fail in some other manner.

why would you make that choice Dave?

jsut like stock shocks, high-end units begin to degrade and lose performance long before they begin to leak (if they ever do) or fail in some other manner.

I'd notice the lack of damping, I think. That's when the stock shocks get booted; when they stop damping. :dunno

I'd notice the lack of damping, I think. That's when the stock shocks get booted; when they stop damping. :dunno

i think we're saying about the same thing, but calling it by different nomenclature. you call it "stop damping", i call it "performance decresed". i can feel that the damping is not what it was, but it is still happening.
for me, on an Ohlins/Wilbers combo, that seems around 25-30K. Not far off what Ohlins is calling for.

i can feel that the damping is not what it was, but it is still happening.

That's what the clicker adjustment is for. :deal

At about 24K I could feel my damping wasn't the same as when new. What I could do is re-adust the damping it to get it back to what I like. At 30-something K to do the same would have used most of the available remaining adjustment... That time I had the shock re-built.

The rebuild was after about 3 years of use. I can live with that.

I had Ohlins installed on my R12RT at the rally in Tennessee last July (to replace the ESA struts). The Ohlins owner's manual states the recommended service interval (for regular street use) as every 30,000 km (18,600 miles). Now, do I plan to do it at 30,000 kms, probably not (unless I notice a significant decrease in performance)?

Back