• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your hexhead.

Black Hills May 2010

Just got abck from 5 days in SD Black Hills. Beautiful trip!

Attachments

• BlackHillsNatFor.jpg
    BlackHillsNatFor.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Well... here it is!

My second BMW and my first ever "new" bike. Only 300 miles thus far, so still knee-deep in the break-in process, but the riding, handling and fun factor is immeasurable.

4660873820_9f47c78249_b.jpg

My second BMW and my first ever "new" bike. Only 300 miles thus far, so still knee-deep in the break-in process, but the riding, handling and fun factor is immeasurable.

4660873820_9f47c78249_b.jpg

Congrats and nice bike.

Did you tie into the aux power plug for your GPS?

JC

Congrats and nice bike.

Did you tie into the aux power plug for your GPS?

JC
Thanks! The GPS mount has an attached power cable (with an inline fuse) that I connected directly to the battery, routing the wires beneath the tank+side cover panels (which was a total breeze).

Thanks! The GPS mount has an attached power cable (with an inline fuse) that I connected directly to the battery, routing the wires beneath the tank+side cover panels (which was a total breeze).

Thanks for the response.
Take care,
JC

Well, now that I made a fool of myself posting my bike in Oilheads, I guess I'll post it here where it belongs! :banghead

Here's my new ride, a 2010 R1200GS shot out by my house at Red Rocks.

Robert
Las Vegas

new_1200_redrocks_web.jpg

Well, now that I made a fool of myself posting my bike in Oilheads, I guess I'll post it here where it belongs! :banghead

Here's my new ride, a 2010 R1200GS shot out by my house at Red Rocks.

Robert
Las Vegas

new_1200_redrocks_web.jpg
Nice bike, Robert! So, as another new '10GS owner, how do you like it? :)

My '09 RT visiting Lime Rock Park race track in Lime Rock, Connecticut (apologizes for the cell phone quality).

0615001547.jpg

Nice bike, Robert! So, as another new '10GS owner, how do you like it? :)

Thanks Tessler!

What's not to love about it? At 51 my first bike ever was an F800GS bought February 2009; I put about 12000 miles on it including multi-day trips into Death Valley, Big Sur, Utah / Zion and also another 1700 miles on a rented F800GS through the interior of Alaska last August.

The 1200GS was a big step up for me in overall comfort, particularly on the highway. The additional power and mass, aside from design makes it a totally different feel than the F800GS (duh) but in a good way.

The Farkelization is in full swing as I just added the new AltRider bash guard, LED turn signals and Hammerhead shifter. The Jesse bags are downstairs in the garage awaiting a missing part/ installation as are the Hyperlites, GPS and PIAAs. My plan is to convert the PIAAs and OEM headlights to HID next week and add the AltRider crash bars.

My focus is off-road and we haven't been on that date yet :heart. As soon as I get the proper protective bars in it and all the electronics installed we've got some offroad love to do.

Thanks for asking and again thanks for your kind words.

Robert

08 gsa

Picked up in February. Cold ride back from St. Louis. Honz at Gateway BMW is great!

900430175_LC33x-L.jpg

(me and bike are in the middle background)

Finally thawed out by taking it on the White Rim Trail a couple of weeks ago. Methinks its too big a bike for that road! :ha Six dirt naps later...........

trying to wear out 3rd BMW

After 38 years of hard labor and much lusting after a big beemer, took delivery of an 09 Silver RT last April. Wife and I tested an R, GS and RT. The RT was IT.

Following Dad's footsteps - '72 R75/5, white Windjammer, tan Enduro bags.

Waited 2 months for special order with cruse & traction control, computer, hot grips. Now at 20k+ miles, it's fed a diet of high test gas and synthetic oil and radial tire$ (4th $et). As a daily driver do-it-all bike, it can't get much better than this. :thumb

Ken -- nice RT. 4 sets of tires? what kind of tires are you using?

Thanks Ray,
OE Bridgestone BT020, past wear bars at 8k.
2nd Avon Storm to wear bars at 5k (front wore & handled funny).
3rd Dunlop RS; rear holed from bone fragment at 3500, front to wear bars at 5k. Lots of road kill round here!
4th Michelin PR2 still on at 2k and doing VERY well.
Next might be BS BT-023 or Avon Storm 2 depending on price.
All static balanced and kept at PSI by the manual. Both Metzler and Avon has on their web site identical higher recommended pressures which I am currently trying on the PR2's. ? :scratch

+1 on the PR2s

Ken --

I think you will like the PR2s. This will sound unbelievable, and I nearly could not believe it when I checked back, but I just got 23K out of a set of PR2s, and they are not down to the wear bars. They still have life, but I changed them because I was leaving May 3rd on a 50CC Jax to San Diego, and I knew the whole trip, including wandering thru CA and NV and CO before heading home, would be over 7000 miles.

The previous set of PR2s I got about 14K, and should have left them on for another 3 or 4K, but that was just before the trip to the MOA and RA rallies last year, so I thought I should put new ones on. I was probably wrong.

And there is yet another set of PRs (not PR2s) in the garage with only about 8K on them. I will re-mount at least two of these sets and use them up one day!

I should probably add that I am not much of a peg-scraper, and we don't have mountains in Florida, so not many real "twisties." But a lot of my riding the last year and a half has been in mountain country, especially out west.

Last edited:
Back