• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Quirky BMW "Features"

Anyname

I was riding my R80 today and got to thinking about why BMW would choose to single out the high beam indicator for labeling in German ("Fernlicht"). The other indicators appear equally or even more worthy of bi-lingual labeling but they are English only. Are German market high beam indicators bilingually labeled in English?

There are doubtless many other BMW mysteries, what are your favorites?

Can not really answer that for ya as my 1150 GSA is all in engrish. Now if you can tell me why my German German Shepherd is by lingual that would really help out. :)

Can not really answer that for ya as my 1150 GSA is all in engrish. Now if you can tell me why my German German Shepherd is by lingual that would really help out. :)

Well, I hope it is bilingual not by lingual! If it is by lingual you are going to have to see me.

Mine is bilingual because it Schutzhund trained. ;):D:D

I have never heard of a good reason they didn't put the engine head on the RIGHT side and the shaft on the left when they designed the first K bikes.

I have never heard of a good reason they didn't put the engine head on the RIGHT side and the shaft on the left when they designed the first K bikes.

Since the shafts were on the right side before, that is how the K bikes would be. They were not going to change.

Back in the mid-fifties when "forign cars" were just beginning to show up here, I remember Dad showing an almost new Volkswagen bug (which had been brought back from Germany by a soldier) to an elderly lady. On the ignition switch was the word Fahart. She became so offended that she walked away and would not say another word to him!

What was the last year you could start any BMW motorcycle with your own bike's "key?" Even with the right kind of nail?

To the right. The lock is on the left and is not reachable with bars turned left.

Scott

I think of this as a quirk. Most general literature says "turn a bike's bars
left to get more stability;" it increases the lean angle. The K75 is known
for being a leaner and turning the bars left just increases that. The
forklock is a clear indication that turning to the right is the proper action.
mXa

On my '94 RT the momentary switch to flash the high beam headlight was labeled in German. I've forgotten the German word but the English translation was "light horn." I guessed it was in German since that's not common usage in English.

Back