• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway after the leaves have fallen

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
If you have only seen the Parkway in the summer, you saw mostly trees, leaves,grass and the road. We took our last ride of the year for the third week in a row today and saw much of what you didn't see. We saw the rocks, cliffs and deep valleys made by ancient glaciers and other actions of nature over millions of years. We say the farms and small communities hidden by the trees and undergrowth. We saw and dodged buzzards eating several deer killed by deer. We saw a coyote run across the road in front of us. I had to almost stop to avoid a flock of wild turkeys in the middle of the road, I almost stopped to avoid a large black dog eating roadkill with its back to me. I saw the real Mayberry store beside the Parkway just past Mayberry creek.

It took us all day (just before 8 until just before 5) to ride 267 miles through mountain roads and eat two meals. The temperature ran from 36 to just over 70 with most of the day in the high 50s. After we had a wonderful breakfast at Shatley Springs ( http://www.shatleysprings.com/ ), we got on the Parkway near Sparta, NC and rode it to Meadows of Dan, Va. where we got on the Crooked Road (Rt58) and rode to Stuart, Va. for lunch at Stuart Family Restaurant ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuart-Family-Restaurant/297564737008160 ). Two great meals on a nice day on 267 miles of smooth winding mountain roads without a lot of traffic. What more can you ask.

I was down there last week. Road over 300 miles on it. One stretch I went 153 miles and only had to pass 5 cars. What N amazing ride that was. And man I ran into that same dog i swear!!!!

Hi Ken. :wave

Yes, it is a very beautiful and distinctly different ride once the leaves are down. Fantastic views and vistas. Wish I was closer.

Leaves

No leaves allows you to see around 90% of the turns that you normally would not the be able to. it's like its not even the same road. It also enables you to see oncoming traffic earlier, of which there is very little on the Blue Ridge Parkway, after the leaf peak. Less on weekdays. I'm preaching to the choir and know it.

I lived within 4 miles of the Parkway (on the Northern end) for a number of years and have ridden there my whole life. It was different almost every time you got on it. A true Natioal Treasure that belongs to all of us.
Wonderful, and thanks for the reminder!

Quick rant not related to leaves but the enjoyment of the Blue Ridge Parkway:

I don't hardly use the Parkway any more because of the "incident with the Boo Boo Twins" who bother the public, though I cross it all the time on the many great roads that do cross it. Boo Boo (uniformed by the Government) is still very young and doesn't have the simple knowledge of who really owns land the Department of the Interior manages. They act like it is theirs and you may just use it. There have been many instances over a long period of time but it has gotten worse.
Recently they stopped a friend for no turn signal in a turn, for which he gave a hand signal because his 1948 model didn't have signal lights, and then said his rear brake light was not working to which he replied "I didn't use the brakes".
Welcome to the Hand Basket.
Now back to the leaves.

No leaves allows you to see around 90% of the turns that you normally would not the be able to. it's like its not even the same road. It also enables you to see oncoming traffic earlier, of which there is very little on the Blue Ridge Parkway, after the leaf peak. Less on weekdays. I'm preaching to the choir and know it.

I lived within 4 miles of the Parkway (on the Northern end) for a number of years and have ridden there my whole life. It was different almost every time you got on it. A true Natioal Treasure that belongs to all of us.
Wonderful, and thanks for the reminder!

Quick rant not related to leaves but the enjoyment of the Blue Ridge Parkway:

I don't hardly use the Parkway any more because of the "incident with the Boo Boo Twins" who bother the public, though I cross it all the time on the many great roads that do cross it. Boo Boo (uniformed by the Government) is still very young and doesn't have the simple knowledge of who really owns land the Department of the Interior manages. They act like it is theirs and you may just use it. There have been many instances over a long period of time but it has gotten worse.
Recently they stopped a friend for no turn signal in a turn, for which he gave a hand signal because his 1948 model didn't have signal lights, and then said his rear brake light was not working to which he replied "I didn't use the brakes".
Welcome to the Hand Basket.
Now back to the leaves.
That is what amazed me last week too. Almost 300 or so miles I saw deer, turkey, dogs, hawks, squirlls, fog, ran, cold temps and a handful of cars but zero Leo. Zero, zip, ziltch. Amazing.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

One year early spring before the leaves were on, we ran the entire Parkway and Skyline Drive. That was our best trip on the Parkway because we could see so much and there was no haze in the valleys.
No services were open, but that was not a big deal. What we really liked was no Park Officers patrolling the Parkway.

Back