• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tarnished Reflector on R75/5

jbf

Hi all,

Was replacing the rubber gasket and spring clips on my headlamp today (as well as cleaning the glass) and I noticed that my reflector is starting to tarnish. Is there any-way to clean the reflector? It appears to be a metal reflector, rather than the plastic version that Hucky sells.

If its not cleanable, what would be the proper way to restore this? ie, having the chrome/mirror finish replated?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I don't know a way to clean the layer of reflector material. The layer is very thin, and any abrasive (even a relatively mild one, such as rubbing compound) will quickly rub right through it.

I think you have to replace it, either with a good used one or with a more modern one, such as on the R65.

Reflector

Correct on the thin layer going away quickly! If you choose to get a modern, H-4 reflector for an R65, then you also need to get the lens as well. The /5 lens works with the incandescent bulb, but not well with the halogen bulb.

Snowbum mentions using some alcohol mixed with a small amount of detergent and in some water, and using appropriate lint-free cloth, and then flushing with clear water. Not sure this will help with "tarnished" but should help with "dirty".

Not sure about this one, but on other items I sometimes try a little toothpaste first as it is very mildly abrasive. Try in spot where it won't damage anything good.

Correct on the thin layer going away quickly! If you choose to get a modern, H-4 reflector for an R65, then you also need to get the lens as well. The /5 lens works with the incandescent bulb, but not well with the halogen bulb.

I already have an h4 kid/bulb/lens. (Says h4 on the lens).

I'm not sure if it's from a /5 or if it's from an r65. Is there an easy way to tell?

No, that is not the correct reflector. It is described as having an 8" diameter (/6 and later)

The /5 reflector is 160mm diameter.

63 12 1 351 652 is the correct p/n for the /5 reflector.

p.s. I'd use Simichrome, if it doesn't work, nothing will.

product.jpg

No, that is not the correct reflector. It is described as having an 8" diameter (/6 and later)

The /5 reflector is 160mm diameter.

63 12 1 351 652 is the correct p/n for the /5 reflector.

Looking at photos of that reflector, it doesnt match the look of mine at all. I have the h4 kit already installed (the headlight lens says H4 on it and the reflector looks mostly identicle to the one above minus lamp shroud that protrudes).

I guess Ill have to keep looking then.

I second and third the advice about being very careful cleaning the "reflective" layer. It comes off really easily. Whatever you decide to try, go easy and stop after the first few seconds just to make sure you aren't cleaning by removing.

Barron

I second and third the advice about being very careful cleaning the "reflective" layer. It comes off really easily. Whatever you decide to try, go easy and stop after the first few seconds just to make sure you aren't cleaning by removing.

Barron

I think i am just going to have to find a newer one.

Anyone know if the ones from hucky are (if bought separately) Bosch versions? His price is pretty expensive. Like 220 dollars.

I can't say for sure, you had better call him first.

FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ... if you order that part, and it does not fit properly, HE WILL NOT ACCEPT A RETURN. It's considered, by Hans, to be an "electrical part" and will not be "returned".

I bought the "cheap" H4 conversion kit, not knowing it had a plastic reflector. I requested a return and was denied based on his "no return of electrical parts" policy. I even suggested that I purchase another H4 bulb that he could sell with the "returned" reflector. No deal.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

That part number is listed for a 75/5. Look at diagram 63_0341, item 3. Something else to consider is to buy the original /5 reflector, 63 12 1 351 652 for about half the price, then buy an H4 bulb with the base that fits the /5 reflector from Bob's for $6. Since you already have an H4 lens, it should work. I'm just putting mine together, so I haven't had a chance to ride it at night. Other opinions or experience?

Back