• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spark Plug numbering

hottech

HOTTECH
My Haynes manual states that the boxer takes a NGK DCPR8EKC but when I ordered a set I was sent a pair of NGK DCPR8E. What does the KC stand for ?

made in Kansas City... nah! see chart below, two-electrode and "special construction".

1150RT CENTER
NGK BKR7EKC-N (part # 2095) [I believe the 1100's use one step different]
Thread size = 14 millimeter; 5/8" (16 mm) hex (ISO type);
Resistor; (heat range); Reach = 19 mm (3/4");
two ground electrodes, low angle, special side

1150RT LOWER
NGK DCPR6E (part # 3481)
Thread size = 12 millimeter; 5/8" (16 mm) hex;
Projected insulator; Resistor; (heat range);
Reach = 19 mm (3/4")

Iridiums
Primary = BKR7-EIX NGK # 2667
Secondary = DCPR6-EIX NGK # 8196

Attachments

• NGK Sparkplug Numbers.jpg
    NGK Sparkplug Numbers.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 122
made in Kansas City... nah! see chart below, two-electrode and "special construction".

1150RT CENTER
NGK BKR7EKC-N (part # 2095) [I believe the 1100's use one step different]

Nah! The 1100's use Autolite 3923! Or AP 3923 if you want fancy. :laugh

Seriously though, I was surprised at how well these cheap and widely available single electrode plugs work in the R259 engines. Two bucks a plug and they work better than the $12 Bosch OEM plugs. Go figure!

Yes, the AP3923 worked great in my 1100, but Hottech was asking about NGK plugs, so that's what I responded to. His profile also shows him on an 1150, and the plugs are different.

Hottech's profile indicates he has an '04 R1150R ...

Realoem says plugs for this bike are

NGK BKR7EKC for the main plugs (14mm)
and
Bosch YR6LDE for the secondary plugs (12mm)

The posted chart indicates "K" denotes dual electrode and I'd think that if the K is missing the plug isn't dual electrode.

Not for a nanosecond would I follow a Haynes manual specification. Rather start with the BMW specification, which is what realoem provides.

Back