• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In Search of Cool

ALIENHITCHHIKER

In Search of Cool on the BRPW

Did an overnighter at the beginning of the week; starting from my home in Asheville.
- distance from Asheville to Gray, TN, as the crow flies (ATCF) = 64 miles.

The plan: visit my ol' friend John & help him get his Honda fired up; scoot around a bit together; then head to Willville Motorcycle Campground in Virginia. The weather girl says it's going to be a hot one - up into the 90's with typical Carolina humidity.

Here she is - packed up & ready to roll

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Off to John's

It's great - the morning air is cool, the road is open, this feels good.

John lives on Anthony Creek near Globe, NC. Great roads with a spectacular stretch along John's River.

The most challenging bit though is the last quarter mile. Who says an RT can't go where the GSs run?

Attachments

• john's driveway.jpg
    john's driveway.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 148
John's place

John has an incredible place nestled along the creek at the base of a mountain.

No matter the temperature in Asheville - it's always cool at John's.

Distance from John's to Gray, TN ATCF = 49 miles.

Attachments

• john's pad.jpg
    john's pad.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 146
John's little Shadow has been suffering from a finicky ignition switch. This bike is a survivor - it's been cross country, it's lived in the woods, it's slid on its side down the pavement, and it has been raced up and down some gnarly mountain roads.

A good dose of WD40 seems to remedy the problem and off we go.

Once we're out of the woods and down into the valley, it's like, oh man when did it get so hot? My little thermometer shows 97 as we head into the town of Lenoir for some chili burgers.

Here's a pic of John (he says, "screw ATGATT, it's HOT").

Attachments

• john.jpg
    john.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
On the BRPW

I can't stand the heat :sick

We head for the high ground. John has an evening commitment so we part ways and I hit the BRPW and point my nose north.

Ahh...this is cool! 90s in the valleys, high 70's at altitude.

Attachments

• on the BRPW.jpg
    on the BRPW.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 137
Willville

My first visit to Willville motorcycle Campground - nice, and the beer buried deep in my side back is still cold - well, let's say it was cool

:beer

www.willvillebikecamp.com

Distance from Willville to Gray, ATCF = 116 miles

Attachments

• willville.jpg
    willville.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 137
Change of Plan

OK, so I've got this meticulously worked out back road route for my return trip. All kinds of twisties through Virginia and into Tennessee, coming back into NC over Roan Mountain.

But you know what? It takes me through some valleys and it's gonna be HOT down there.

No! I won't do it. So I get back on the BRPW. This is cool.

Attachments

• cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Doughton Park

A stop at Bluffs Lodge at Doughton Park, on the BRPW. Distance from here to Gray, TN ATCF = 75 miles.

It's cool here, about 78 degrees - oh yeah! And they serve some mean barbeque sandwiched between two cornmeal pancakes. You have to try it.

You could call this pic, taken in front of the Bluffs, 'beauty among the beasts'. Or you could choose to call it 'geek among the beauties'. Just depends.

I bet I saw 100 Harleys (and HD look alikes) on the BRPW. I saw five other BMWS. The HDs get a wave, but the Beemers get a :rocker

Attachments

• beauty.jpg
    beauty.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 129
Boone, NC

Detour on the BRPW takes me into Boone, NC.

I'm hungry so it's down to Black Cat Burrito in the ASU village.

It's not cool in Boone, but it is cool in Black Cat. Incredible burritos too!

Distance from Black Cat to Gray,TN ATCF = 46 miles.

Attachments

• black cat.jpg
    black cat.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 128
Lost my Cool

The BRPW is closed between Ashevillle and Mount Mitchell, so at NC 80 I leave the high road and drop down to I-40. The temperature climbs from 80 to 95 degrees as I descend. This ain't cool. Not so bad though at speed on I-40 and before I know it I'm climbing Old Fort Mountain and am back in Asheville.

The sun is setting and it's beginning to get...

cool!

I put her away in the garage and call it a day.

Attachments

• home again.jpg
    home again.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Nice!

Looking forward to riding the area again next year during Rally Time!

Thanks for sharing, Steve!

Very nice - Two friends of mine here at work and myself took a "mental health" day last week. We left Raleigh and three hours later were on the BRP. Shortly thereafter, we started riding the side roads up and down the moutains - you, know the roads with all of the twisties. The weather was perfect and mountain air wonderful.

Thanks for helping to bring back such wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing the pictures as well.

Great stuff- wish I was there!

One thing though: tell John not to use WD40 in the switch, or anyplace where it might get on electrical contacts or any kind of lock. It is mildly corrosive and can leave residues as well as attract dirt. Try Break-Free CLP in the lock and a good contact-cleaner in the switch. :thumb

Back