• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Around Israel

jewels

Living The Dream
Just (NOV) returned from a 2week 1500Mile ride around Israel....WOW.

First of all, people are GREAT drivers there, no cell or text while driving. Everyone uses there signals...honest. The roads are great and the hills and desert curves are super. Mix that up with all there is to see ...it was a life changing experience.

find pictures on www.Israelmotorcycletours.com under photo's 2010
No we were not on Beemers, but the V-STROM is a decent bike.
Recommend this trip to anyone.:thumb

nice tour.... enjoyed the pics.

did you get to take those 'stroms trail riding at all?

ian

nice tour.... enjoyed the pics.

did you get to take those 'stroms trail riding at all?

ian

Hello Ian,
Yes we did some trail riding in the Negev. As I was riding 2 up, it was not as active as it could have been, Having ABS on these bikes was a real plus on the loose stuff.
95% of what we did was on pavement or semi paved surfaces.
As you can see I ride Airheads most of the time, the Stroms were up to everything we threw at it, a real broad RPM band.
Marty

Jewels: sounds wonderful! I've been to Israel four times (5th visit coming this summer) but never by bike. Any comments about the organizer of the tour, Hannigan? How big was the group? What kind of mileage did you do each day?

Nice!

Was there in 2001 (bus tour) saw one bike the entire two week time we were there. Tel Aviv had lots of scooters, glad to see bike touring is an option now.

Jewels: sounds wonderful! I've been to Israel four times (5th visit coming this summer) but never by bike. Any comments about the organizer of the tour, Hannigan? How big was the group? What kind of mileage did you do each day?
Hello Michael,
Dave, Ruth Ann Hannigan and his son Andrew run the this trip. They are very familiar with what you should see and where to stay. We had a 11 passanger van with an Israeli Tour Guide who caught up to us at each stop and at the evenings stay (very convienent).
There were 9 people on the trip and 7 bikes (They keep 12 V-Strom's in Israel all the time for these Tours). It was planned well and went smoothly. We spent 2 days in Jerusalem with out bikes and then picked up the bikes outside Tel-Aviv and went straight to Eliat. Usually put about 150 to 200 miles a day. Remember we were seeing and touring lots of different places along the way ( uaually stopping for 1-2 hours atleast twice a day). Start time was 7:30 AM and we usually got to our overnight stay at around 5:30-6:30. It was a full schedule and as I said before a LIFE CHANGING experience.
Only word of caution..the Hannigan's are a little Religious about Israel (Born again Christian's) but it was not a problem nor were they obsessive about it.
Any other question just ask.
Reagrds,
Marty

Renting a motorcycle

Just got back from Israel on Jan 15th. Tried to rent a motorcycle without success. I had a great time none-the-less and rented a car for the drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat. The desert there is truly magnificent; real "Lawrence of Arabia" stuff.

Took route 12 back to Tel Aviv from Eilat, which eventually joins up with Route 40 (main N-S route through Israel) . Route 12 parallels Egypt (Sinai) and the border is usually less than 100 yards from the road; barbed wire, razor ribbon, land mines, etc... Getting stopped by a heavily-armed and very attractive female Israeli Defense Force (IDF) soldier and questioned was oddly stimulating; had trouble concentrating for the next 60 minutes. ;)

Also, the southern desert of Israel, the Negev(means dry in Hebrew or Arabic), is a large firing range and war games site. For miles there are signs in Hebrew, Arabic, and English stating, "Firing area, entrance forbidden," outlined in a skull and crossbones. See below:

I found this out on a pitch-black night as I was driving south to Eilat, and a tank (or howitzer) fired a tracer shell across the desert not 25 yards from my car as I was driving south. It took two days to get the odor out of the car.

I had a great time; definitely if the chance ever arises to visit Israel, do it.

Attachments

• P1000112.JPG
    P1000112.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 84
Riding in Israel

I'm heading back to Israel this July. Mostly business, but this time I thought maybe i'd take a few days and tool around on a bike if I could. Not really interested in (nor do I have time for) an organized tour, but couldn't find any sign of a rental outfit. Got in touch with the one BMW dealer (outside TA) who said as far as he knew, the biggest thing you can rent anywhere in the country is 150cc, no full-sized bikes. I asked if he'd consider a 72 hour test ride on one of their bikes, guess he didn't get the joke b/c he replied that usually they only allow an hour or two, but don't even have any testers these days.

I'm going to ask some colleagues over there to do some more research, and if I learn anything useful I'll post here, but looks like tour or nothing.

I'm heading back to Israel this July. Mostly business, but this time I thought maybe i'd take a few days and tool around on a bike if I could. Not really interested in (nor do I have time for) an organized tour, but couldn't find any sign of a rental outfit. Got in touch with the one BMW dealer (outside TA) who said as far as he knew, the biggest thing you can rent anywhere in the country is 150cc, no full-sized bikes. I asked if he'd consider a 72 hour test ride on one of their bikes, guess he didn't get the joke b/c he replied that usually they only allow an hour or two, but don't even have any testers these days.

I'm going to ask some colleagues over there to do some more research, and if I learn anything useful I'll post here, but looks like tour or nothing.

I would suggest you talk to Andrew Hannigan at www.israelmotorcycletours.com.

His father was a BMW dealer ages ago and they currently have a triving Sidecar-Trike business.

They are very nice people and I know even though they own the Suzuki 650's we used, that they have alot of contacts in that area. Maybe they would be able to direct you to someone over there.

It dosen't have to be a BMW, does it? The V-STROM was an excellent bike for touring Israel. I do know that there is an abundance of red tape for the necessary Insurance needed.

Good luck...if you get thur it..it is all WORTH it. Israel is an awsome ride and the drivers are superb.:bikes

the drivers are superb.:bikes

thanks for the suggestion, i'll check with them and see what i can learn. it certainly doesn't need to be a bmw, i just stumbled across the dealership and figured they might be able to help. [update -- right up front on their website it says "....as there are no motorcycle rental facilities in israel...." which doesn't bode well for my prospects. but i'll find out]

i am surprised by your comment about israelis' driving, though. statistically certainly not the case and both native and expat colleagues there, from all parts of the country, comment on it pretty often. then again, after boston and rome, two of the scariest places i've ridden thru, maybe it's not so bad. with all the scooters on the roads, israelis are at least more accustomed to 2 wheeled traffic than lots of other places.

Last edited:
i am surprised by your comment about israelis' driving, though. statistically certainly not the case and both native and expat colleagues there, from all parts of the country, comment on it pretty often. then again, after boston and rome, two of the scariest places i've ridden thru, maybe it's not so bad. with all the scooters on the roads, israelis are at least more accustomed to 2 wheeled traffic than lots of other places.[/QUOTE]

We did approx. 2K miles in 2 weeks, never saw anyone on a cell or texting (and I looked) Never had anyone take a turn without a turn signal. If you are in a round about (there are many) you ALWAYS get the right away. Dosen't sound like any place in America does it? Yes, they are used to 2 wheeled motorists and they ARE aware of the protection issue. In the mountains they always pulled over on the shoulder for us to let us pass (shoulder is hard pavement and at the same level almost as road, since they don't have much crown to the roads.lack of rain is one reason I am told) and made a center lane for us...including oncoming traffic. There was NO road rage. GO FIGURE...it was like a dream.

Those that complain must have never ridden in the USA or for that matter Turkey, Italy, or Mexico..LOL:nod

Back