• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Remove Ignition switch RT?

How do you get the ignition switch out of the RT fairing? Does that little plastic piece just spin off?

There should be a black anodized aluminum ring with to small holes in it for a pin wrench. Unsrew it and it will come out from behind the dashboard.

There should be a black anodized aluminum ring with to small holes in it for a pin wrench. Unsrew it and it will come out from behind the dashboard.

That's how I thought that worked, but that rascal is too tight for 2 small phillips screwdrivers.

Any other makeshift tool you can use?

A pair of snap ring pliers is what some of the old manuals suggest, and what I have used since 1977. The type that can be converted from internal to external, in an appropriate size seems to work best.

A pair of snap ring pliers is what some of the old manuals suggest, and what I have used since 1977. The type that can be converted from internal to external, in an appropriate size seems to work best.

I tried one of those earlier, not much luck.

Maybe some Kroil and a second try tomorrow.

Thanx!

I'd put some lube (perhaps a silicone-based one) on the outside of the ring, and give it some time to dribble into the threads that hold the ring in place. Then, needle-nose pliers, held perpendicular to the ring with the tips in the holes, and carefully rotated. Keep some downward force (pushing the tips in the holes) on the pliers as you rotate them.

I'd put some lube (perhaps a silicone-based one) on the outside of the ring, and give it some time to dribble into the threads that hold the ring in place. Then, needle-nose pliers, held perpendicular to the ring with the tips in the holes, and carefully rotated. Keep some downward force (pushing the tips in the holes) on the pliers as you rotate them.

Thanx as well. Got it soaking right now.

Back