• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's List of Winter Tech Tips - even though we are heading into Spring!

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
BMW Motorrad Winter Tech Tips (just received this week in my e-mail)

1. Fill your gas tank with fresh premium fuel that contains no ethanol. Premium contains no ethanol, or so says the sign on the pump.

2. Change your oil. A bike should not be stored with old, well used oil, its acidity levels will be elevated and could harm your engine internals. Run your bike after the oil change for a minute or so to get the fresh oil circulating.

3. Wash your motorcycle before storing. A coat of wax on the painted parts is a good idea. Always inspect your bike as you wash it. This is a great time to look for damaged, loose or missing parts. If your bike is being stored in a damp environment, consider using some light oil on any chrome parts, just make sure you remove it prior to starting the bike in the spring.

4. Lube your chain (if applicable) after you have washed and dried your bike.

5. Find a safe, secure spot to store your bike. If your bike has a centre stand, it is best to put it on this stand in order to get as much weight off the wheels and suspension as possible.

6. Put the battery on charge and fully charge it. If applicable, check the electrolyte level and top it up to the correct level with distilled water. The battery should then be stored in a warm, dry place. Never store your battery directly on a concrete floor, this could damage or permantely kill the battery. You can use a 2X4 to keep it up off the concrete. The battery should be charged every 4 to 6 weeks while in storage. [Note: Some MF (maintenance free) batteries require a special charger. There are some very good chargers that can be left connected to the battery for the whole storage period. Perfect if you want to connect and forget it until spring.]

7. Cover your bike with a breathable cover to help protect it and keep it clean. Be careful using a non-breathable cover (plastic tarp etc.) which could cause condensation and corrosion.

8. Depending on where your bike is being stored, if vermin are a concern, take the time to tape up the intake opening and exhaust outlet and put some moth balls under the cover, this will help keep the critters away. (I have also been told that dryer sheets also keep vermin away, but have never tried them.) Make sure you remove them before starting in the spring.

9. Finally, remember that thieves donÔÇÖt go away in the winter. Keep your bike locked up at all times and out of view if possible.

Well Germany is in a different time zone. :scratch As for the ethanol issue I thought the premium available in my area does contain ethanol but maybe not.

BMW Motorrad Winter Tech Tips (just received this week in my e-mail)

...snipl

Never store your battery directly on a concrete floor, this could damage or permantely kill the battery. You can use a 2X4 to keep it up off the concrete.

...snip

Why is this? :scratch

Battery cases are made of non conductive material. What are the physics involved? I would think the best reason not to store on the floor is to prevent tripping over it.

I just had to know

I just had to find the answer. Google to the rescue.

At one time the advice about not storing batteries on a concrete floor was true - but no longer.

For the whole story click here.

How do I get my bike home from the dealer after the oil change if I'm not supposed to store the bike with "used" oil? I don't have a trailer.

How do I get my bike home from the dealer after the oil change if I'm not supposed to store the bike with "used" oil? I don't have a trailer.

Hi, RX35285,
Were it me, I would do my own oil changes. That said, I can't see a problem if you ride it home from the dealer, then store it for the winter. Of course, you could also move - to a place where you don't have to store the bike for the winter. :brow I just rode 55 miles for a hamburger, then rode home and changed the oil and filter along with the gearbox and final drive oils. In a few days I'll do the brake fluid, fork oil, remove and blow out (or replace, depending) the air filter, grease the cable ends, check the clutch adjustment, check the valve clearances and check, maybe change, the spark plugs. The fuel filter and coolant are both ok. The bike should then be ready for the rest of the year.

Back