• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride to Reddish Knob on the border of Va/WVa

R

rocketman

Took a nice 10 hour 400 mile ride This past Friday to Reddish Knob Va, second highest peak in Northern Va and then explored some other back roads in WV and Va. Since the weather was going to be turning Really Hot again figured best get in a good long ride on the new Honda while the weather was still cool and humid free.

A great ride, cool temps and no humidity, very little traffic and oddly not many bikes out there that I saw, but then I was on some pretty back country roads that big cruisers and the like would probably not much care for all the better for me!

Starting out, one of my favorite views as I head toward WV along Arden Rd just before coming to 28.

IMG_0052_0_1_tonemapped-mod.jpg

A view of the mountains as I approach in Rt .211, its rare that the view of them is this clear from this distance, usually they are a blueish-grey and indistinct in the heat of the day.

IMG_0055_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

Heading up the mountain to Reddish Knob at bit before the road gets really narrow

IMG_0060%20edit.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

The damn pothole that got me a few months ago on the airhead, see told ya all it was BIG!
IMG_0056%20edit.jpg

Now the road gets really narrow as it becomes Forest Service Road 85, but still paved.
IMG_0067-edit.jpg

A view from the top with the moon (just barely visiable in mid-center) hanging over the mountains Fantastic views today with the cool weather and little to no moisture in the air
IMG_0066_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

A few more views
P7030178_7_6_5_4_tonemapped.jpg

P7030197_8_4_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

And a link to the pano I took which was the main goal of getting up here today while the weather was cool and clear. You don't often get this sort clearity during the summer months in the mountains here.

http://roadrunes.com/photo/main.php?g2_view=panorama.Panorama&g2_itemId=62429

After taking my photos on the top of the knob I headed back down to 275 and back up to 33 where I headed west over the Shenandoah Mountain to find Rt. 3 north to Milam.
IMG_0074%20edit.jpg

Along the way I found a nice pond that just begged to be photographed.

IMG_0078%20edit.jpg

IMG_0079%20edit.jpg

The road along side of the pond, Nice pavement, they have been repaving WV Rt. 3 And Rt. 7 and its now much improved since a years ago.
IMG_0089%20edit.jpg

Some small wildflowers growing near by,
IMG_0085%20edit.jpg

One final view of the pond and then on up 7 to 55 east to find state route 23/10 south..
IMG_0091%20edit.jpg

Further along RT 7 a nice farm view
IMG_0095%20edit.jpg

When I got into Moorefield where 7 intersects 55 I headed east along the Old Route 55 to Baker and then on to Wardensville where I saw this nice old house, love the detail around the cornice
IMG_0098%20edit.jpg

In Wardensville I picked up 23/10 south that goes back into the Geo Wash. National forest and takes you over another mountain to become Rt. 675 Wolfgap Rd as you cross back into Va. It starts out two lane marked but quickly turns into a nice one and half lane unmarked road through dense forest..

IMG_0101%20edit.jpg

By now it was getting on into the afternoon so when I got to 623, Back Rd I headed north once more to 55 and then on to 66 until I got tired of the slab and took 17 south to Arlie and Rt. 605 and home.

10 hours and 400 miles, one gas stop and one for a quick drink and most of the rest just riding, ecpt for the stops for photos. When I stopped for gas after 176 miles I took only 2.4 gallons, that IT sure is some thrifty machine! Oddly enough I had thought IÔÇÖd be finding some new roads with my planned trip route, but it turns out IÔÇÖve been down Routes 3, 7 and 23/10 and 623 before as I began to recognize some of the views along the way! Not that it made any of them any less fun. Passed Perry Wildlife Zoo on Wolf Gap Road and thought of stopping in but having read up on it they seem to treat their animals pretty poorly and were even closed down once, so they ainÔÇÖt getting my money!

RM

Good stuff Jeff. That pothole is more like a gap in the road.

All right you two; Stop tempting everyone with these stories!! Darn it, I have four years until I can retire, and plan on buying something down that way... If you keep enticing everyone with these great stories, there won't be ANYTHING left to buy that a poor man can afford!! Can't help it though, there is more really great riding in this part of the country then anywhere else that I can think of... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

All right you two; Stop tempting everyone with these stories!! Darn it, I have four years until I can retire, and plan on buying something down that way... If you keep enticing everyone with these great stories, there won't be ANYTHING left to buy that a poor man can afford!! Can't help it though, there is more really great riding in this part of the country then anywhere else that I can think of... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

its already getting a lot pricer in them parts...

so look for more reports and further increase in missery!

P.S. I just spent 11 hours and did 400 miles thru WV Va and MD panhandle this pas Sunday....went to find Rocket Center (really!) but they wouldn't let me in! ME the Rocket Man was denied entrance to the Rocket Center! dangnabbit!

RM

Wrong end of both states for me. I prefer the far western end where the curves are many and the prices are cheap. I've lived in both ends (and the middle) of Virginia and I can live better for half the money west of Roanoke than I could in Eastern and Northern Va. Of course you have to be retired because the limited jobs are not high paying.

Back