• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1100RT Panel Switch Problem

B

bharvey60

The previous owner of my 98 1100RT installed PIAA driving lights. He used a BMW three-way rocker switch which was intended for heated grips and fit in the original panel cutout. On the high setting the lights work fine. On the low setting the resistance is causing the wires to overheat to the point of burning off the insulation. My local dealer quoted me a mind-numbing $75 to order a two-way switch (just the part, not installation). While I'd strongly prefer to have a switch that fits into the original cutout, I can't get my head around paying this much for a switch.

Any ideas on how to modify the three-way switch to eliminate the resistance? Anybody know where to find a used two-way switch or other type that fits in the original panel cutout? I realize I could just leave the switch in the high setting; but I'm concerned it will will be switched to low by accident at some point.

Thanks.

The PO mounted the PIAA switch on mine next to the throttle with velcro. It's just on or off and works great.

JustPics010_zps02a7661e.jpg

On the low setting the resistance is causing the wires to overheat to the point of burning off the insulation

Why would you want to use a low setting for the Piaa's ?
If the lights have been wired properly, in that a solenoid is being actuated to power the lights from the switch you are describing, then, you don't need a three position switch. Just an on/off switch would do. This way your powering up the lights through the switched soleniod that would provide the 12 volts to the lights

My PIAAs 1100s have the same switch as in the R1100RT above. Other than for servicing when I turn them off, I keep them on high all the time. No low and high beam for me, just high.

Paul......I am unfamiliar with Piaa 1100 's.....am I to understand that they have a high and low beam ?

Paul......I am unfamiliar with Piaa 1100 's.....am I to understand that they have a high and low beam ?

Not as far as I know. I mistakenly thought that the original poster must have used the heated grip rocker panel to adjust the power going to the PIAAs, and hence creating a low and high beam. :banghead

The PO of my bike wired the PIAAS into the turn signal cancellation switch. There is a relay ? under my seat at the fuse box that works all that. I hated it at first, because you have to hold the cancellation switch for 1.5 to 3 seconds then release. I kept missing the time frame trying to turn it on.:banghead Then I discovered the green LED 'indicator' light that he hadnt mounted. I mounted this little (and I mean little, as in one single LED) bulb in the dash. It flashes after 1.5 seconds, telling me to release the button, thus turning on or off the lights. Then stays lit to remind me that the PIAAS are on. I like it now! Same as alot of others have on their bikes.

Back