• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Schuberth C3 helmets

Fwiw I was just playing with a Sena SMH10 on my K1600 and it works flawlessly (latest BMW flash V4 applied) with exception of the thumb wheel on the bike controlling volume. Only real disappointment was I couldn't pair it to the bike as helmet 2 so for 2-up I think only good option is a pair of c3's and BMW communicators.

I'm very happy with my c3 but wanted lower cost option for the wife as I have no clue if she's going to do more than 1-2 short day rides a year.

Schuberth says the helmet is quiet enough to dispense with earplugs only when the faceshield is in the down and clicked-locked position. When it's anything other than clicked shut, the noise increases - as should be expected.
I guess I'll find out firsthand. I thought to look on Ebay, and there were two up for auction. One "used" but working great - no cord (not a big deal) and missing the velcro to hold the speakers in (also not a big deal), and one that the same BMW dealer was using as a demo with all the stuff.

I won the used one auction for about 1/2 of new price, and am waiting now for it to be delivered. If I can't use it with earplugs it will end up on the Fleamarket.. :)
One thing I'd like to reiterate about the C3: Airflow across the inside of the shield is amazing. The venting combined with the Pinlock insert makes foggy faceshields a not-so-fond memory. The key to keeping the faceshield fog-free is to keep it clean. A faceshield/Pinlock insert covered with road grime and rain/spray residue provides a healthy environment for fog. Those moisture droplets like to stick to anything, and dirt molecules are perfect attachment points for moisture molecules.
I was riding today in 97-100F temps (for a long time it was 98.6F) and was surprised how comfortable the helmet was in the city position even with the temps that high. It was not a chore to ride with it on.

And I did find my 1st shield open position is good to about 60MPH until a truck blows past going the other way, when it shuts by itself. That was good when I was stuck in traffic. BTW - Roadcrafter is the way to go in temps that exceed body temperature.. it protects you from heating up from hot air hitting you, and allows for controlled evaporation of sweat, cooling me off. Not the first time I've ridden with one in these temps.. but the most comfortable time. A semi-naked bike is a good thing.
Whenever my visor gets a bit of fog on the edges, I know it's time for a Plexus bath for both sides of the integrated sun visor and both sides of the faceshield/Pinlock insert. It is my experience as a Seattle-area rounder that Plexus seems to have some sort of hydrophobic qualities that helps deter the formation of fog - almost like Rain-X.
Schuberth warns about using any sort of coating on the inside of the anti-fog insert.. so I wonder what the long term effect of Plexus will be on the coating. I know the C2 shield coatings didn't like any sort of coating on them, they needed very gentle cleaning with hand soap and a rinse with clear water to clean them up and make them work as they should.
A bit of advice about the Pinlock insert: It too needs to be kept clean, on both sides. It also needs to be positioned tightly against the faceshield in order to provide the "Thermopane" effect. The white pins that hold the Pinlock in place are off-center, and can be rotated to press the insert tightly against the faceshield.
Having it correctly tight also seals moisture out of the cavity between the insert and the inside of the shield, preventing those surfaces from fogging up.

Last edited:
FWIW - I don't see it as an "issue" at all. The helmet's primary design function is to protect you. It doesn't protect you as well with the windscreen open, so Schuberth designed it to close - not to stay open. I think if you like wind in your face (with the accompanying bugs/rain/sand/etc) - you bought the wrong helmet.

Don -- The issue I have with that design feature is that in some conditions (hot and humid like we had last summer) even with all the vents open and the flap in the summer position, it got miserably hot inside. I didn't want to raise the chinbar as some do, but ended up holding the visor open pretty much from Iowa to Ohio as it would slam shut at 25mph. I'd be happy if it would stay open just a centimeter till 45 or so.

I love the fit and quality of the helmet, but when it really gets sticky I reach for the Arai with the visor that stays open at 60mph.

Don -- The issue I have with that design feature is that in some conditions (hot and humid like we had last summer) even with all the vents open and the flap in the summer position, it got miserably hot inside. I didn't want to raise the chinbar as some do, but ended up holding the visor open pretty much from Iowa to Ohio as it would slam shut at 25mph. I'd be happy if it would stay open just a centimeter till 45 or so.

Mine does stay open very easily until about 45-50. Perhaps your pinlocks / cams are worn a bit. I agree, in this kind of weather, even though the flow is super, one can never have enough.

I love the fit and quality of the helmet, but when it really gets sticky I reach for the Arai with the visor that stays open at 60mph.

I can't remember if it was here or on ADVRider (C-3 thread in Vendors Forum) that someone used a felt furniture pad in the swivel mechanism to add tension to the detent area and keep the visor open. I'm too lazy right now to search for it.......

Found it, last page of this thread, post 382.

Last edited:
I can't remember if it was here or on ADVRider (C-3 thread in Vendors Forum) that someone used a felt furniture pad in the swivel mechanism to add tension to the detent area and keep the visor open. I'm too lazy right now to search for it.......

Found it, last page of this thread, post 382.

Yes. I remember that thread too. If I remember, it worked very well for the guy. That came out when the helmets were just being released for sale or shortly thereafter.

Next question, hydration

How are you dealing with a drinking tube? :banghead
It's not like I have a Jay Leno chin, but there is no easy way to get the camelbak tube up from the bottom. In through the visor is tough too. I have the 90deg. bite valve, maybe I need to try a straight one?

It's not like I have a Jay Leno chin, but there is no easy way to get the camelbak tube up from the bottom. In through the visor is tough too. I have the 90deg. bite valve, maybe I need to try a straight one?
I raise the sunshield about 1/2", then guide the bite valve over the top of the chinbar with my forefinger pushing it down toward my lips. A minor pita, but I don't really think about it.

I raise the sunshield about 1/2", then guide the bite valve over the top of the chinbar with my forefinger pushing it down toward my lips. A minor pita, but I don't really think about it.

That's what I figured, I'll just have to learn the new technique.
Now what was that about old dogs????!!!!

I've been using the felt furniture pads for a year now, one inch size fits between visor and cam for raising and lowering visor will stay in any position at speeds up to ninety, haven't tried it faster.
Helps with ventilation greatly
PS only use water to clean visor, most other cleaners will cause it to cloud

I've been using the felt furniture pads for a year now, one inch size fits between visor and cam for raising and lowering visor will stay in any position at speeds up to ninety, haven't tried it faster.
Helps with ventilation greatly
PS only use water to clean visor, most other cleaners will cause it to cloud

Thank you! I'll visit my hardware store tomorrow.

That's what I figured, I'll just have to learn the new technique.
Now what was that about old dogs????!!!!

OK, so I sat in the living room with my helmet on and the camelbak at hand. The 90 deg. bite valve was not very manageable through the shield.
I neglected to mention I have an Autocom boom mic in there too....
I opened the helmet and inserted the tube between the cheek pad and the flap/roll on the chin guard. I have removed the secondary velcroed in wind flap as it made no difference on my bike, but was in the way of closing the helmet.
Closed the helmet and it stayed in place just fine to the right of my mouth. Adjusted the bite valve orientation in the tube so I just have to swivel the tube 1/4 turn to hit my mouth.
I think this is my solution. Bike is apart right now as I'm waiting for delivery of an HID low beam to replace my burned out H7. I'll road test it soon.

Schuberth C3

I recently upgraded several pieces of riding gear including helmets. I went from a Shoei Z-II to the Schuberth C3.

I am amazed at the improvement in air flow and how quiet the helmet is. I did have some pressure on my forehead for the first several hours of use, but that has now gone away. I'm sure most of you have seen the statistics on safety and white or bright helmets which is something to think about when shopping.

IMHO the best gear is worth the money, you enjoy it more, it lasts longer, is more comfortable, creates less stress/fatigue and generally makes life more pleasant. Come to think of it, those are many of the qualities we look for in a paramour.

Since I'm ordering a C3 online can someone tell me what color dark Anthracite is or perhaps post a picture of the helmet. I'm a bit color blind but I wanted the helmet to match the 2010 Thunder Gray R1200RT if possible.
It's already ordered by out of stock. I might be able to change my order to another in stock helmet so your advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
tsp
My blog http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

PS: Since they had to order the helmet anyway I changed my order to the black "The World".

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Thunder Grey RT AND a dark anthracite C3. Close but not a match. Can't post a picture just now (nowhere near the hemet)

I'm jumping in this thread now as I have interest in the C3 helmet. My current helmet is a Concept & it's a great fit & hate to part with it but like me, it's aging. Now have XXL Concept & head measures 22 5/8" which is a L on the C3 chart. Based on that chart my present helmet should be far too large but isn't. I've never been a hard to fit head with bike, FB or military aviation helmets. After doing several searches like WebBike World and other magazine tests/reviews I'm still concerned on fit. I'm not even remotely close to a dealer & am aware of return privileges some offer but also like to play the used marketplace too. Any further comments on the Shoei Neotec, HJC R-Pha Max & Vega Altura are welcome. FWIW, I like the Concept far better than some older reviews I dug up online. Like some others I wear it open visor at times with safety glasses for wind in the face effect & yes it'll slam on you. The so called "city" visor position doesn't work well either as it is constantly snapping closed. It can be handy to defog the visor when it cooperates. I've even considered carrying a piece of U shaped rubber to keep it propped part way in certain weather/temps.

Solution to "the mark of Schuberth"

My problems continued following my last post and so I sent an e-mail to customer service at Schuberth and they told me that one of the things that they are recommending is that you replace the liner in your C-3 with the same size S-2 liner.
They sent me an S-2 liner and it goes into the C-3 very easily and the swap was done in a matter of minutes. It simply snaps in place in the same places as the C-3. It fits very well and is much more comfortable than the original liner. They told me that there is a difference in the head shape between the C-3 and S-2 models and that for some people this is the only solution. It worked for me and they were very good about sending me a replacement S-2 liner at no charge. I have had this helmet for about a year and a half, I was most impressed with Schuberth's customer service. The helmet fits perfectly now and is quite comfortable. I hope this is helpful.

Back