• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Pretty Wife" wants to ride!

Congrats "Pretty Wife" on the successful completion of the course.

Now get these things in order:

1. Your own BMW MOA membership!!!!!

2. Good gear including helmet, boots, jacket, pants and gloves that fit a womans (very special) body. :thumb

3. That "first bike" that you can learn on w/o worrying about the fact that it may go down. Buy a good cheap one, learn on it and sell it to another beginning rider and don't lose any money. Win, win.

And, why hasn't your husband posted a picture of you riding?????????? :stick

We need more women in the MOA and we are getting there, one new rider at a time.
All gr8 advice. Re the photo of "pretty wife" on her bike... all in good time. No bike, no photo. Patience, please.

I’ll be in Shanghai on a business trip. So, the search will iether turn up something before the weekend, or we'll wait until I return.

We’re looking at several small used bikes: GS500, Buell Blast, DR350/400, etc. She is taller than me, but the R1200GS is still quite a little intimidating.

Thanks for the tips!:thumb
Len

Congrats Bonnie. As I tell my recent graduates, you are now certified to practice, practice, practice!!! Look forward to hearing more tales of how you are progressing. Let us know what bike you find. It is great having one more female rider on the road with us.

The Buell Blast!

Up-date:

We've looked around and finally settled on a Buell Blast as her "learner" bike. She likes the look of the bike, and when I can post some photos, you'll see why. It's not a typical looking Blast.

We are set on a used BMW F650 GS or ST single eventually, but dropping a Beemer is not a pleasant thought, much better to learn hard lessons on a bike that's a bit more expendable. Then graduate to a nicer ride after confidence is built and skill sets are in place. And, again thank you all for the kind recommendations as to first bikes.:thumb

She has been looking at this site and reading your encouraging remarks, hearty welcomes, and advice. She paid little attention to BMWMOA, except for reading articles in the ON, especially those involving female rider/writers. So, just a thought, maybe there is a key learning in this for the BOD?:dunno

IÔÇÖm off to China on a business trip, and hope to close on a 2001 Blast upon my return. IÔÇÖll try to post pictures of ÔÇ£pretty wifeÔÇØ and her ride, post haste.

Thanks again BMWMOA sisters & family,

Len

Len,

My wife did the same last summer except the MSF instructor was not so good. Seem like a fallout of 50% of al his students is the norm. Shen then a private school and actually learned how to ride.

www.lrn2ryd.com They are in the nw burbs of Chicago. Highly recomended.

Anyway, She got a nice used f650gs. lowered model even though she is 5'10" flat feet on ground = more control. She only gotabout 500 miles on last fall before weather went south. But she was real eager to get started this spring.

Congrats to your wife!

Well, I owe you all an up date. Things are at a standstill on Bonnies bike. We had the money saved to pay cash for a nice Buell Blast. Then my bike, the R1200 GS was hit by a pick up truck in a gas station parking lot. The guy split, but I had his info and when the cops they said his license plate was expired! Report filed, wait for estimate, etc. long story short the check from his insurance company arrives while Im in China.

Bonnie and I loaded the bike onto my truck and she take me to the airport for my flight out bound and then delivers the GS to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. The tires also need attention and the oil/filter could use a change, so before I leace for China I tell the tech via phone to make it happen.

She was to go to BMW of Atlanta to pick up my bike, pay the bill, and then swing by the airport to pick me up after my in bound flight. I arrive at the truck, no bike. As it turns out

While installing the rear tire it was discovered (luckily) that the hub was cracked in several places and needed replacement. Ouch! This was discussed w/ the powers that be and a new rear final drive was recommended. My understanding is that the simple hub replacement on the existing drive can cause alignment issues and itÔÇÖs best to start all over w/ the whole unit.:lurk

The FD costs ~ $1900 + labor and weÔÇÖve decided that the tires, oil change, etc for the GS are more important than her new bike. WeÔÇÖd have to borrow money to purchase the Blast, and the cost of repairs empties our new bike account.

Sadly, we are a one-bike couple. The first bike for Bonnie will have to wait until we can build a purchasing fund. IÔÇÖd be a real jerk if IÔÇÖd have insisted on my bike first, then hers, but sheÔÇÖs the one who arranged for the FD fix while I was in the air to the USA.

I hope we can soon get this girl on her own bike, sheÔÇÖs an absolute peach.:thumb

Len

She got her first bike

We found a way to re-direct some funds, and last night we picked up a 2001 Buell Blast. SheÔÇÖs so excited, she has her first bike. ItÔÇÖs perfect for bombing around in our neighborhood and practicing her parking lot maneuvers. SheÔÇÖll be up to speed in on time.:type

She, quite happy w/ this little ÔÇ£putterÔÇØ and sheÔÇÖs very happy w/ me for making it happen in spite of our recent unexpected FD repair/expense on my bike.

Len
ps ÔÇô IÔÇÖll post her picture w/ the bike when I figure out how!

Len,
I was initially bummed for your wife (and you for having to deal with those bike problems) after reading about your bike problems, but I'm glad to see you found a way to make things work. And, yes pictures are a must.

We found a way to re-direct some funds, and last night we picked up a 2001 Buell Blast. SheÔÇÖs so excited, she has her first bike. ItÔÇÖs perfect for bombing around in our neighborhood and practicing her parking lot maneuvers. SheÔÇÖll be up to speed in on time.:type

She, quite happy w/ this little ÔÇ£putterÔÇØ and sheÔÇÖs very happy w/ me for making it happen in spite of our recent unexpected FD repair/expense on my bike.

Len
ps ÔÇô IÔÇÖll post her picture w/ the bike when I figure out how!

Awesome!! Send pics when you can and have her join in the fun on the forums here. Lots of great info. and people to share and learn from.

Kelly

You all have been so kind and helpful, the least I can do is attach a photo.

This was late at night after a 6.5 hour drive to fetch the little bugger from Griffin, GA. So, we're a little haggared, but happy!

She's been riding the thing all over the neighborhood. Always returns w/ a grin on her face.

Len
ps- the decals had to go, the lady knows what she likes.

Attachments

• IMGP0057.jpg
    IMGP0057.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
You all have been so kind and helpful, the least I can do is attach a photo.

This was late at night after a 6.5 hour drive to fetch the little bugger from Griffin, GA. So, we're a little haggared, but happy!

She's been riding the thing all over the neighborhood. Always returns w/ a grin on her face.

Len
ps- the decals had to go, the lady knows what she likes.

Looks like a happy camper to me! :thumb

Wow.

Sounds like y'all have been on quite a roller coaster the past few days. I'm so glad for you both that you were able to work this out and get that lady on her own bike! :clap

I love the color! Thanks for the update.

Congrats to both for working through all the ups and downs. Ride safe and keep that beautiful grin going:thumb

Off to a great start!

With that first lesson under her belt, she won't be as intimidated at her first MSF class.

And a new rider is born! Welcome with open arms to our sisterhood, "pretty wife"!

Voni
sMiling

:thumb on the MSF. If you want to maintain marital bliss, do not attempt to teach your bride to ride.

:thumb on the MSF. If you want to maintain marital bliss, do not attempt to teach your bride to ride.

We've ridden about 100 miles together; mostly back roads w/ light traffic. Sunday afternoon upon returning from a 40 mile ride she said, "Thank you for all the coaching you've been doing during, I really appreciate your patience w/ me."

Every now and then IÔÇÖll say something stupid and/or callous, but I can immediately tell that IÔÇÖve screwed up. A sincere apology can go a long way.

I just need to remember that IÔÇÖve been at this riding thing since I was 14 years old! SheÔÇÖs so new to this. I need to keep things in perspective, as IÔÇÖve forgotten how many little mechanical skills and motor memories IÔÇÖve acquired and committed to my riding experience. She's a fresh sheet of paper, a new canvas. It's all a brand new experience for her riding and controlling her own bike.

I am amazed at her progress, thus far, and at her enthusiasm for the sport. I think sheÔÇÖs a natural. I sometimes wish I could whisper into her helmet during a long sweeper, ÔÇ£keep your head up and look through that turn.ÔÇØ ItÔÇÖs a little scary watching your beloved pushing the limits and honing her riding skills.

I have to say, it's great to see her leaning through a curve and holding her line, she's amazing. I'm very proud of her. I am a little frightened that I'll witness her crashing or hurting herself, God forbid. After all, she'd be riding behind me If I hadn't encouraged her to begin riding on her own.

God grant me the serenity

Len

We've ridden about 100 miles together; mostly back roads w/ light traffic. Sunday afternoon upon returning from a 40 mile ride she said, "Thank you for all the coaching you've been doing during, I really appreciate your patience w/ me."

Every now and then IÔÇÖll say something stupid and/or callous, but I can immediately tell that IÔÇÖve screwed up. A sincere apology can go a long way.

I just need to remember that IÔÇÖve been at this riding thing since I was 14 years old! SheÔÇÖs so new to this. I need to keep things in perspective, as IÔÇÖve forgotten how many little mechanical skills and motor memories IÔÇÖve acquired and committed to my riding experience. She's a fresh sheet of paper, a new canvas. It's all a brand new experience for her riding and controlling her own bike.

I am amazed at her progress, thus far, and at her enthusiasm for the sport. I think sheÔÇÖs a natural. I sometimes wish I could whisper into her helmet during a long sweeper, ÔÇ£keep your head up and look through that turn.ÔÇØ ItÔÇÖs a little scary watching your beloved pushing the limits and honing her riding skills.

I have to say, it's great to see her leaning through a curve and holding her line, she's amazing. I'm very proud of her. I am a little frightened that I'll witness her crashing or hurting herself, God forbid. After all, she'd be riding behind me If I hadn't encouraged her to begin riding on her own.

God grant me the serenity

Len

Hi Len,

When I first started riding, my hubby and I would go to the school parking lot and practice all of the things I learned in the MSF class. I still do that on my own every chance I get. The more she can practice the basics from her class, the better the muscle memory will get. Maybe that will calm your fears a little.

Kelly

Len,
My husband and I have been riding together for 11 years now and he still has to remind himself that I am no longer just learning to ride:). It is that protective male instinct towards someone you love. The more she rides, the better she will get and the less you will worry. Good job of keeping yourself in check though. Good luck to you both as you continue on your journey of acquiring many, many miles together.

Other riders!

All -

I think I could write a book on the emotional journey, thus far. Just last night we were riding on some really nice back roads, some tight corners, mostly sweepers and generally having a ball. We went into town to gas up and decided to do some in town riding; stoplights, 4-way stops, the usual in-town stuff.

At the station I ask her how it was going so far. She said that she enjoyed the rural riding and felt confident w/ our pace through the corners.

She later admitted that this in-town riding was very challenging for her, and much more intense than riding on the open road where she could prepare for upcoming curves, etc. There is always a lot going on in town, and she is still new to shifting, clutch, and brake function and a little jerky at times.

As we were leaving the gas station a HD rider spotted us. I suppose he was curious, or just wanted to follow some fellow motorcyclists, but what he did next caught my attention. He trailed us through a left turn at the next traffic light, them I notice he move up on Bonnie very quickly and pushed the nose of his bike up as if he were going to pull up alongside her. I was leading and in the right-hand third of my lane.

So, I slowed and waved her to go on by me, while I shadowed or blocked his progress to her right. He was riding an open pipe machine and came thundering up on my rear. I effectively blocked his attempts at harassing her, and it seemed the presence of my imposing GS may have cautioned him to back off! Bonnie signaled for a left turn into a side street along our discussed path and I followed. The HD rider gassed it and blasted past us as we turned.

Later, she asked me what he (the HD rider) was trying to do. I told her, I think he was just curious and recognized that you were a female rider. She then asked why he tried to pull alongside of me? I said I did not understand this move, but that’s when I motioned for her to go around me and interjected myself between them. She was grateful for my actions, as the HD rider’s moves were frightening her.

I believe the whole thing was harmless, but I am now more aware of other riders skill and comfort level when I'm riding around or near other riders. It’s best to keep a good clear distance between myself and unfamiliar riders. You never know what they may do or how anxious they are because of your presence or movements.

I'm also aware that some male riders are more concerned w/ their own desires and urges, and fail to consider the possible consequences of their actions.

Len

Last edited:
She later admitted that this in-town riding was very challenging for her, and much more intense than riding on the open road where she could prepare for upcoming curves, etc.

The most difficult environment for Annie to ride in during her first riding days was an intercity freeway. Six lanes of speeding aggressive drivers is not an environment for a rider still building confidence; probably not a good idea for any rider.

Back