• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RS Side Stand Foot Enlarger Plate

DKWrider
I am looking for a side stand foot enlarger plate for my 2002 R1150RS. The only one that I can find that specifically says it fits it is a Wunderlich one (part number 8500024) that states that it also fits the R1150R and Rockster

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1150RS/8500024.html

I have found other manufacturers such as Ilium Works and Hornig that have ones that they say fit the R1150R and the footprint looks nearly identifcal to the Wunderlich. The Wunderlich apparently is rubber based and costs about $10 more than the others, but the others are aluminum. Has anyone fit the Wunderlich and is it worth the extra $? Has anyone put anything other than a Wunderlich on their 2002?

Thanks!

When I saw my R1100RT sink in the asphalt, yet another crappy BMW sidestand.

I don't know what it is about "R" bike sidestands but they've been crappy from the 70's. I've had my fair share sink in asphalt, come out after a few hours and see them laying on their side, bushing worn out or even the stand bend. Never had those issues with "K's". It's like the "K" bike engineers won't tell the "R" bike engineers there is a better way. I bet they go to the same lunchroom and point and giggle at each other.

I got a little upset when my sidestand plate, aluminum, that I bought from a reputable supplier disappeared on a ride. I wasn't digging the clamping idea and the vibration issue but, tried it anyway.

This time, made a real bushing that can take grease, cut the crappy leg off and made one out of spring steel, added 1/2" and welded a 2" inch loop to the foot. So far, I'm rather impressed with myself. I wouldn't suggest you do this because some days I'm absolutely brilliant and other days I can't remember where the front of my boxer's is supposed to go. I still need to decide what day it was when I did it.

I feel you, I hear you and there must be a better way to keep your bike from disappearing into the tar. Let's see what the "better mousetrap" folks can add.

I bought the one from Hornig in bright aluminum and was happy.... until the day it fell off...... in my garage- lucky me! The tiny washers used by most of the manufacturers are pretty but deform and let the foot escape, usually on a ride. Since I still had mine I replaced them with lock washers, the ones with a spring effect. So far no problem and it works great! Larger washers would have made it impossible to loose.

Cheap alternative

I'm too cheap to pay $45 for a foot plate, so I carry a crushed soft drink can in my left jacket pocket. When I get to a parking spot that warrants a little extra surface area under the foot, I just drop the can on the ground and scoot it under the kickstand with my left foot. One day I'll probably tie a piece of string to it so I can just as easily pick it up and slip it back in my jacket pocket.

I have one of these on my 1150RS. It works well and hasn't fallen off. Then again I did follow the instructions and used loctite. It's not made of rubber, but there is a foam pad under the stands foot. Its build well and I have had it for years. I believe it's slightly larger then the Hornig version.

Attachments

• Wunderlich1.jpg
    Wunderlich1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Wunderlich2.jpg
    Wunderlich2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 97
If you have a spare hockey puck, a few self tapping screws and a dremel or a router you can make yer own. :D

It's blasphemous to use a hockey puck for anything other than hockey, or insulators for the feet on your air compressor, or spacers on the springs on your quad, or guides on your snowblower drift cutters.................never mind.

Not a bad idea.

It's blasphemous to use a hockey puck for anything other than hockey, or insulators for the feet on your air compressor, or spacers on the springs on your quad, or guides on your snowblower drift cutters.................never mind.

Not a bad idea.

:laugh:laugh:laugh
I figured you might have an issue! I have even seen them on local Texas bikes...and a horseshoe on a cruiser as well.

Not a bad idea.

Oooops. I shoulda said a USED hockey puck! And I mean one with chunks missing, hard as stone and at least five years old. :D

Never, ever violate a perfectly good usable hockey puck! The hockey gods will gitcha! :bow

A previous owner of my R1100RS welded a plate onto the side stand to enlarge the base. Unfortunately, it was the first thing to touch down in a turn and nearly put me on my side one day when it took pressure off the front tire mid turn over a hump. I have since ground down the offending side of the plate so the centerstand and side stand kiss the pavement at the same time. I mention this because the bolt on foot looks even larger than the weld on piece on my bike. I'll add photos later.

Later is now
IMAGE_23.jpg

IMAGE_24.jpg

IMAGE_25.jpg

IMAGE_26.jpg

IMAGE_27.jpg

If the R1150RS side stand doesn't tuck in better than mine, I'd be careful with enlarging the foot.

I can't remember where the front of my boxer's is supposed to go.
The front of your boxer should always be pointed down a winding road or trail. Glad I could help.

Last edited:
Back