• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Tender '06 R1200GS

Battery Tender works fine on BMW batteries and the new Shorai LIPE battery. I know both from experience.

But if you have a B T older than 2007 (which is the year I got mine) Deltran will trade you up for a lower fee than new.

I believe the gel charger is supposed to charge float at 13.4 volts and the agm battery at 13.6 volts. I think there is more variation in other areas like quality control on the battery manufacturing as to whether it matters one whit or not.
As to the special charger for the acc jack, i have used a BT thru that port successfully. I have always turned the key on and then off and the port stayed on until the charger went to float and beyond. Although i have seen variable behavior with that port with different model years. Sometimes it seemed that you did not have to cycle the ign key.

Battery Tender

From the battery tender website on gel batteries: " The recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. "

Probably why they sell the gel version with the lower charge voltage.

If the regular charger "works fine" why would they do that?

Battery Tender

From battery stuff.com: "If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain"

Are they all making this up?

I don't care what you guys use, I'm just verifying what I remember when I ordered mine.

i wonder which threads tend to be longer

battery ones or oil ones. oh yeah, winter storage ones.

also, it occurs to me that if you use a battery charger all the time you might have a battery that won't hold a charge very well and you might not know it.

no problem...just sayin'

Last edited:
from the battery tender website on gel batteries: " the recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. "

probably why they sell the gel version with the lower charge voltage.

If the regular charger "works fine" why would they do that?

more money

Back