• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009-10 Electra Glides

Fortes fortuna iuvat
Has anyone here ridden an '09 or '10 FLH with the new frame design & suspension tweaks? If so I'd be interested in your thoughts as this may be my next 2-up touring ride.

Thanks.

2009 Street Glide

Over Thanksgiving we rented a 2009 Street Glide and rode it two-up over the Thanksgiving weekend from St. Augustine to Cocoa Beach, FL and lots of stuff in between. There was no tour pack so we made use of the long and narrow side cases and found we had plenty of room for a weekend's worth of packing.

I've ridden a few different HDs over the last 5 years and this one was the best of the bunch. It had the 96 CI EFI motor with the 6 speed that makes plenty of power for two-up riding. The brakes were great -- but I was riding a non-ABS version so I can't speak to the advantages of ABS. With the stock mufflers you can easily start up for those early morning rides without bothering the neighbors.

We didn't get much riding in the twisties over the weekend but I'd say what cornering we did was an improvement over my previous HD rides -- while Street Glide had better cornering clearance than my '06 softail, I still managed to scrap the footboards a few times because the Street Glide has the lowered suspension. The Street Glide's ground clearance and lean angles don't match the Road King or the Electras according to the specs. Despite the limited cornering clearance, I really enjoyed riding this bike and so did my wife.

Straight line tracking is just what you'd expect from the big HD bikes -- we encountered lots of cross winds over the weekend and the bike was rock steady.

The Street Glide saddle is a low slung sport version that puts you in the slouched position which wouldn't be comfortable for long days. The rubber-mounted motor does vibrate (HD shake) a lot at idle while waiting for the lights to change. It had a radio but at speed it was more annoying than enjoyable.

With Street Glide's touring chassis, motor and transmission I'd only have to add a touring seat and a tour pack (or luggage rack) to make the bike comfortable for two-up touring -- but I'd still prefer to have the taller suspension and better corning clearance of the Road King or Electras.

If you haven't had a chance to ride one I'd suggest finding a Demo Days or rental opportunity. I can't wait to ride one again and I'd love to take one cross country.

.... and we got lots of looks from the other HD riders because we were riding ATGATT.

Thanks TexanRT.

I had never ridden a FLH before but did take a '10 Street Glide out on a demo ride. Unfortunately I didn't get on the EG. I like the look on the SG, except for the 2-into-1 exhaust. Just seemed to me that there is too much empty space on the left side compared to the '09's.

I was also concerned about the "slammed" rear suspension (I believe it is about 1" lower than the EG). The demo route didn't have any tight corners or broken pavement so I couldn't determine how easily it would drag hard parts when leaned over or how easily it would bottom out on a pot hole.

I think I would also miss not having the tour pack on longer hauls thus the reason for the EG.

I'll pretty much ditto what TexanRT said.

I have a 09 Electra Glide Standard (HD discontinued it for 2010) because I didn't want the TourPak. I use a dry bag just like on my BMW's. For riding two up the TourPak with its backrest would be benificial. The EG Classic which comes with the TourPak is probably the best value now and is the same cost as the Street Glide. The Street Glide has less suspension and comes w/o TourPak, passing lamps, fender light, crash bars, and probably a few other things. ABS is an $800 factory option, and with the throttle by wire cruise can be dealer installed if it doesn't come on it.

I'm amazed how easy and well this bike handles, and yet how rock stable it is. Cornering clearance is good, the floorboards touch first and hinge up. The seat-handlebar-floorboard relation on the Standard is perfect for me. (In fact it's my only motorcycle I have with the stock seat) Overall it handles as well as my 1800 Gold Wing did which is a nice complement. I did add HD's Touring mufflers (49 state street legal), opened up the air box with K&N's intake kit, and re-mapped the ECM to make it run the way it should. It doesn't have the GL1800's power but I never feel it's lacking. The Brembo brakes work well. The fuel injection is spot on.

The number of accessories Harley offers is amazing. I added a rear docking kit which accepts a "click-on" back rest and rear rack. (this can be added to the TourPak models making the TourPak quick removable too) These pieces mount solid yet individually snap on and off in seconds. (In the photo my Drybag is on the rack). I also have the fairing mount for a Zumo. I let the dealer install the heated grips.

Compared to a BMW, removing the rear wheel is a PIA. The good news is the tires hold up pretty well. I replaced mine at 9,800 and could have gotten another 1-1.5K. For comparison I get about 7K on my BMW.

This is to a Road Glide road test, by a non-Harley tester which may provide useful... http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/harley-davidson-road-glide-custom/

IMG_0755.jpg

Last edited:
Voni had an Electraglide once - Oh wait! - that was an Electrolux. Never mind.

Last edited:
percentages

98% of all harleys made are still on the road, the other 2% made it home:dance:usa

So much for being politically correct here :thumb

It was funny ... and the joke was obvious even to me.

I just wonder why we so often see BMW forums taking about HD?

Converts to our cause ?

Actually, since I teach Riders Edge classes for HD and get to ride the machines, I have to say that the frames and suspensions are much, much improved from those even five years ago. Only real gripe I have about most of the HD line is that they don't have much clearance for the kind of lean angles I am comfortable with, and I scrape things a lot. The engine heat in south Louisiana gets a bit much too, but they are nice bikes nonetheless. Just not my kind of ride other than the V-Rod.

The bikes, set up with the tour packs are very good for what they are intended, and a lot of people make long trips without any problem. Rent one and check it out. The Rentals desk in any HD Facility will set you up and take good care of you.

Last edited:
Almost all harley dealers rent. Most will agree to apply part or all the rental to the bike purchase if you ask in advance. If not then ask to apply to gear sales, that have a higher profit margin. HD makes very good gear.

So rent one for a day or weekend, much less expensive than discovering you made a mistake.

At Idle roll the throttle forward, this cuts off the back cylinder and reduces heat. Really interesting feature.

They make a really good bike. To me my Beemer is always urging me to go faster, ever faster and farther always farther. That is a good thing, except when you get caught.

The harley only says farther, faster it can go, but it is not it's thing.

If this is acceptable to you, then you should be very happy. Unless you build up the engine a lot they are quite reliable. Intake, better exhaust, remap, all good.

There are some good sounding pipes that are not real loud. Harleys sound much better with pipes anyway.

Harley after market is wonderful, they have 7 speeds now, they have 6 speed with reverse, they make better shocks, and forks, and they even have ABS

I would like to have both BMW and HD depending on mood.

Rod

Last edited:
Voni had an Electraglide once - Oh wait! - that was an Electrolux. Never mind.

Model bashing doesn"t do any good. I see that you apologized later on, but the cat was out of the bag so to speak. Up until then it was a reasonable conversation.

Model bashing should be banned period and this site's moderators should take it to heart & ban the practise outright. Anybody & everybody gets one warning and then your history. There are other sites where you can get into bashing if that's your game. This site shouldn't be one of them.

No censorship please

Perhaps model bashing does get old for some folks...As long as comments are directed at objects and not people, I do not want our opinions or participation banned on this forum.:thumb

Model bashing should be banned period and this site's moderators should take it to heart & ban the practise outright. Anybody & everybody gets one warning and then your history. There are other sites where you can get into bashing if that's your game. This site shouldn't be one of them.

I just see it more as making light fun.

You ought to try hanging out on the Long Distance riders lists or forums. Barely a day goes by that somebody doesn't take a shot at BMW final drives because the failures in the Iron Butt Rally are legion. Some of them accuse us (BMW riders) of "drinking the Koolaid", a thinly veiled reference to Jim Jones, Jonestown, and the mass suicides of faithful followers by cyanide laced Koolaid.

We of course just continuously point out things like more BMWs have won that rally than any other brand, and that the BMW dominance over the years is stronger in the latter years than the earlier years, and make thoughtful comments like, "maybe an FJR will win the IBR, someday, maybe".

And I generally sign my posts over there as Koolaid Paul.

But almost all of the Iron Butt Rally veterans are truly nice people, have proven themselves with more than self-praise, respect each other, and know how to take interbrand joshing with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Maybe we need to do like politicians these days: Rename the issue.

"Competition Joshing".

Politically correct enough for everybody ? :whistle

Pass the salt please....

:lurk

I hear what you are saying Paul but that doesn't mean that we should entertain the practise.

Opinions are like a--holes. Everybody has one but that doesn't mean that we on this site have to engage in the basing practise.

It's so easy to bash in the electronic world where folks will say just about anything about everything. They would never speak that that way in person for the obvious reasons.

I'm just saying that maybe we should set a higher standard. Let the others do what they wish. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Back