• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recomendation for exhaust

Depends on what you need. Did your stock one fail, check the flea market. Do you just want more sound and do not care about performance, have a muffler shop bend up an S bend, weld on a stainless steel glasspack. Want a tiny bit more power, then spend the big bucks.

Rod

Need some ideas for after market exhaust on the 02RT1150, thanks folks.

First question has to be "Why?".
Second question is how much dough you want to spend.

If the answer is more power you won't be able to feel any by simply changing the exhaust. Most after market exhaust systems make more noise not more power.

Exhaust

You're in the wrong forum......the Harley forum is over there>>>>

LOL.....just kidding.....hope someone can help. I like the description I once heard, a "BMW sounds a lot like a kitchen blender";)

A buddy has a Remus and likes it.

Good luck,

Laser

I went with the Laser +Powerchip on my '04 RT and am satisfied with it. Not sure about power increase since there never seemed to be much of it to begin with, but I like to think it's a little peppier. It's definitely lost the "sewing machine" exhaust note. My brother has the Remus on his '02 and for some odd reason we've never gotten the bikes side by side for a comparison (although we live < 10 miles apart!).

Duff

For virtually any modern FI motor the exhaust is the last thing to change when trying to improve operation- rarely is a change needed for street use.
If you just want more/different sound have at it- seems like a lot of $ for minor utility..

I've been looking at GPR from Italy, nice range and very affordable...heard only good things about them and there are a bunch of videos of "mounted to Beemers" on youtube. The GPR DEEPTONE knocks 30 pounds off my R1100R, eliminates the CAT and adds a nice thumper sound that should make me more noticeable to other drivers... Not Harley loud, just louder than stock.

MAXBMW fische lists the weight of the origional cat exhaust at 23.5 lbs. So I take it the new one is -6.5 lbs. i'd have to see that. If you like the new exhaust and your wallet is a bit heavy it will lighten that too. Go for it!

MAXBMW fische lists the weight of the origional cat exhaust at 23.5 lbs. So I take it the new one is -6.5 lbs. i'd have to see that. If you like the new exhaust and your wallet is a bit heavy it will lighten that too. Go for it!

I'm going by another R1100R owner who weighed his stock system at 36lbs(muffler, collector,down pipes and catalytic converter with hoses), the GPR deeptone eliminates all these parts and weighs in at 6lbs.

Trying to shed some weight, and maybe a lil and i stress a lil more noise. GPR deeptone, anyone have a link. o an, my stock one has the rusty bugs bad. it was raised up in michigan.

Two Bros

I went with the Two Brothers Cat Eliminator on my R11RTP along with a Power Commander III. I did tone it down a bit with the Power Tip, sometimes. Other times, I took it out for full throatiness. Had it all dyno tuned afterwards by someone who really knows how. I liked it, a lot. Just gave the bike to my son-in-law. He also likes it.

I have heard of taking the cat converter off, cutting a hole in it's top, removing the guts and welding it back up.
Sounds like an inexpensive way to do it. EPA wouldn't approve, though.

I think the gpr sounds great, i to have thought about carfully cutting open the cat and gutting it out. are they welded inside big time, i gutted one out on a crusier model, a febel attempt at best because of the way it was welded at every nook an cranny.

First question has to be "Why?".
Second question is how much dough you want to spend.

For me, the stock system is too quiet; I'm not looking for more power. From observing other BMWs, most owners leave the stock system on. This is a totally subjective thing, and on my other fun machine, I left the stock system on; it sounds just right. But on my boxers, I've installed aftermarket systems.

As for cost, riding is a hobby, and if I wasn't spending $1,500 on a Remus, I might be spending that amount on a brass locomotive, if I was a model railroader, or on a first day cover, if I was a philatelist.

I like Remus because they make OEM stuff for BMW, and have a big R & D department. Oh, and they sound just right. :D

Last edited:
For me, the stock system is too quiet; I'm not looking for more power. From observing other BMWs, most owners leave the stock system on. This is a totally subjective thing, and on my other fun machine, I left the stock system on; it sounds just right. But on my boxers, I've installed aftermarket systems.

As for cost, riding is a hobby, and if I wasn't spending $1,500 on a Remus, I might be spending that amount on a brass locomotive, if I was a model railroader, or on a first day cover, if I was a philatelist.

I like Remus because they make OEM stuff for BMW, and have a big R & D department. Oh, and they sound just right. :D

I played around with a SuperTrapp muffler on my '00 1100RT. This eliminated the cat and O2 sensor so the bike ran open loop only and subsequently very rich. Mileage suffered a bit and at first the sound of the big twin was fun especially around town. Then the summer rally season got underway and it was all long rides. I adjusted the number of cones to muffle it as low as possible but honestly after a long day in the saddle the noise was too much and actually bothered me. My riding buddies found it loud (and smelly) from behind.

I put the stock pipe back on and have not looked back. It could do with a richer tone perhaps but I think I prefer the quiet. Later on I got involved with Roger04RT in beta testing his AF-XiED on the 1100 and as a result I've now installed an Innovate LC-1 on my bike to enjoy the benefits of this great O2 sensor shifting device. I guess having a bike that sounds great is one thing but having one that runs great is really the ticket in my case. I don't see after market pipes doing anything on that front so I reckon I don't need them.

That said they do look and sound cool! :thumb

I had SuperTrapps on my R100RS, and the noise from them started bothering me after a time. Had I kept the bike, I would have adjusted the numbers of discs to quieten it down. The Remus systems on my next two Boxers give a nice snarl at 3,500 rpm and over, and aren't tiring at cruise. You can hear them while accelerating, they resonate off cliff faces, and there is a nice symphony while running the twisties in the Kootenays.

Does anyone make an s pipe so as to hook any kind of can on it, iam not worried about open loop because i use the dobec 1031 fuel management system. open loop closed loop whatever it is, thanks folks. and yes i like to hear my boxer motors, the stock system is jes to quiet. (the 1031 eliminates the 02 censor)

Back