• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 F650GS twin rattling noise

Ron Morris

2009 F650GS
Hi everyone,

I was curious if this noise I am hearing is normal or something that should make me nervous. I moved from a R1200RT to this bike, so am really unfamiliar with the noises these bikes make. What happens is, when I am go slow say in first or second gear and there is no load, neutral throttle, there is a rattle that comes from what sounds like the clutch or tranny. Accelerating or decelerating, there is no noise. When it is making this metallic rattle, if I pull the clutch in, the noise goes away. The bike only has 14K miles on so I am hoping that this noise is just one of those normal noises that BMWs make and nothing worse, but wanted to see if some of you that own these bikes experience the same thing. Thanks in advance!

Ron

The clutch on the F-twins is fairly noisy. In neutral with the bike idling listen to the bike. It will sound like something is wrong. Pull the clutch lever in and the rattling noise will go away. Perfectly normal.

If you go and listen to a dry clutch Ducati at idle you will be thankful that your bike doesn't make that kind of noise. The clutch noise that is, I wish my bike had that wonderful exhaust note of a Duc

The clutch on the F-twins is fairly noisy. In neutral with the bike idling listen to the bike. It will sound like something is wrong. Pull the clutch lever in and the rattling noise will go away. Perfectly normal.

If you go and listen to a dry clutch Ducati at idle you will be thankful that your bike doesn't make that kind of noise. The clutch noise that is, I wish my bike had that wonderful exhaust note of a Duc

Thanks for the reply Tom and I was hoping that was all it was. We were riding around Barber Motorsports last month during the RA rally and it was almost embarrassing when I would come through slowly in 2nd gear and all this rattling was going on. So I spent a lot of time coasting with the clutch in. I have heard, although never experienced myself, the Ducati clutch rattle. I am riding up to St. Paul this month for the MOA rally and wanted to make sure that I wasn't about to be stranded in NoWhere Iowa. One of the guys I am meeting up there has a Ducati, so I guess I will hear first hand the clutch rattle and the distinctive exhaust note of his bike. Thanks again for the reply and for allaying my fears.

Ron

Not all Ducati's have a dry clutch. My 900 Monster, with a dry clutch, sounded much louder than my 2007 F800S. If yours is so noisy that you are embarrassed, I would think that something else is wrong. I would have someone else listen to it that owns an older F800.

Wayne

Hi everyone,

I was curious if this noise I am hearing is normal or something that should make me nervous. I moved from a R1200RT to this bike, so am really unfamiliar with the noises these bikes make. What happens is, when I am go slow say in first or second gear and there is no load, neutral throttle, there is a rattle that comes from what sounds like the clutch or tranny. Accelerating or decelerating, there is no noise. When it is making this metallic rattle, if I pull the clutch in, the noise goes away. The bike only has 14K miles on so I am hoping that this noise is just one of those normal noises that BMWs make and nothing worse, but wanted to see if some of you that own these bikes experience the same thing. Thanks in advance!

Ron

Hello,

I have the same bike with low suspension. I discovered a similiar sound several hours after I had bought it used and was riding home. Soon after, I found it to be "chain slap" which is a known issue on the low-suspension models. Then I had a better ride home ;-). Around 2000-2500 RPM in 1st or 2nd, light throttle, the chain slaps against the nylon guide on top of the swing arm.

Not all Ducati's have a dry clutch. My 900 Monster, with a dry clutch, sounded much louder than my 2007 F800S. If yours is so noisy that you are embarrassed, I would think that something else is wrong. I would have someone else listen to it that owns an older F800.

Wayne
I don't know if it is to the point of being embarrassing or not. It may be just coming from my R1200RT that was so quiet that I am not used to this bike and I think everyone else can hear it too. Sounds like others have similar stories. Thanks for the reply.

Ron

Hello,

I have the same bike with low suspension. I discovered a similiar sound several hours after I had bought it used and was riding home. Soon after, I found it to be "chain slap" which is a known issue on the low-suspension models. Then I had a better ride home ;-). Around 2000-2500 RPM in 1st or 2nd, light throttle, the chain slaps against the nylon guide on top of the swing arm.

I never gave chain slap a thought. Thanks for the idea and I will check it out. This isn't a lowered bike, although I doubt that makes a difference with chain slap. Thanks again.

Ron

I know what you mean coming from a R bike, I sold my R1200R (2012) to buy this bike (2014-F700GS). The R bikes do vibrate less and are quieter, but if you can hear yours making that much noise, something else is wrong.

I know what you mean coming from a R bike, I sold my R1200R (2012) to buy this bike (2014-F700GS). The R bikes do vibrate less and are quieter, but if you can hear yours making that much noise, something else is wrong.

I know what you mean, this bike isn't the RT, but it is so much lighter and that is the reason I went to it. I'll probably take this into the dealer and let them listen to it and see what they think. I'm going to be riding it to St. Paul and I really don't want any problems on the road. Yesterday I was riding it and the I really think the noise is from the tranny or the clutch. Thanks for the reply and I will see what they say.

Ron

Sounds like chain lash. My wife is currently getting adjusted to her '10 F650GS and has been riding around in a parking lot. When she's riding slow , with neutral throttle, the chain is slapping away. Have someone watch you ride in a parking lot and see if the chain is slapping the nylon guide on top.

Joel

Sounds like chain lash. My wife is currently getting adjusted to her '10 F650GS and has been riding around in a parking lot. When she's riding slow , with neutral throttle, the chain is slapping away. Have someone watch you ride in a parking lot and see if the chain is slapping the nylon guide on top.

Joel

I think you are correct Joel. We are leaving for St. Paul and in anticipation of that ride, I changed tires, adjusted the chain and aligned the wheels. When that was completed, there is no more noise, so I do believe that it was chain lash. I adjusted the chain to 30mm at the tightest part of the chain. Thanks everyone that replied, this forum is great!

Ron

Thanks Wayne and thanks to everyone for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I hope to see some of you at St. Paul. Ride safe!

Ron

Hi Ron, I just noticed you are from just south of my location in DeSoto MO. I'm leaving Friday morning for a leisurely ride to the rally, with a scheduled volunteer stint on Tuesday setting up..... I just wanted to mention that some chain slap is to be expected, especially if in lower gear (not first) and lugging the engine a bit. Just make sure that you don't over tighten the chain, as that can be worse for longevity than having it a little loose.
Have a great ride to Minnesota, and if you wish to tag up with another Missouri boy at the rally, keep a lookout for a camping area signed Jackass Hollow.
Walt E.

Hi Ron, I just noticed you are from just south of my location in DeSoto MO. I'm leaving Friday morning for a leisurely ride to the rally, with a scheduled volunteer stint on Tuesday setting up..... I just wanted to mention that some chain slap is to be expected, especially if in lower gear (not first) and lugging the engine a bit. Just make sure that you don't over tighten the chain, as that can be worse for longevity than having it a little loose.
Have a great ride to Minnesota, and if you wish to tag up with another Missouri boy at the rally, keep a lookout for a camping area signed Jackass Hollow.
Walt E.

Hi Walt,

I hope you have a great ride to St. Paul, sounds like you have a good plan on getting there. We are leaving next Tuesday and will get there Wednesday morning or afternoon. The guy I am riding up with works, so that is the reason for leaving so late. I am retired, so time for me isn't as important. After we get there, we are staying at a friends house that lives in St. Paul, but we will be looking for Jackass Hollow when we are there.

That is exactly the conditions I was getting the noise, not so much lugging it as just a coasting condition. I am a big believer in having the chain a little on the loose side compared to the tight side. Too hard on bearings, chains and sprockets. So I adjusted the tightest spot to 30mm and left it at that. I went for an extended ride the other day and it was still at that adjustment and I didn't hear the noise. I will see what how it does on the way to St. Paul.

Take care and hope to see you there!!

Ron

Back