• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lane splitting

that isn't "lane splitting"... that's just pure stupid. Not to mention more than a little discourteous, and a lot dangerous ... to everyone.

I agree. You live in California. So tell me you don't see that kind of activity all the time. I support a lane sharing that is well defined (like filtering to the front of a red light), and splitting when the traffic is congested, say 30 mph and lower for example. This would allow the original intention of the practice, which was cooling an air cooled engine that would overheat at a snails pace, to hold true. RT owners wouldn't be installing fans or overheating.

Lew, I had a 73/5 as my first bike.

I agree. You live in California. So tell me you don't see that kind of activity all the time. I support a lane sharing that is well defined (like filtering to the front of a red light), and splitting when the traffic is congested, say 30 mph and lower for example. This would allow the original intention of the practice, which was cooling an air cooled engine that would overheat at a snails pace, to hold true. RT owners wouldn't be installing fans or overheating.

Lew, I had a 73/5 as my first bike.

i seriously doubt that allowing for cooling of the occassional 60's/70's era VW bug or the even more rare air cooled motorcycle was the intention behind the law allowing lane splitting. Rather, i would surmise that the original intent was to increase rider safety and reduction of overall traffic congestion.
The law is written to address overall traffic speed (below 35mph, iirc), as well as m/c passing speed (no more than 10-15 mph greater than traffic speed, again iirc). Just like other traffic laws are ignored or "adjusted" by drivers & riders, this one gets ignored/adjusted as well- but that does not make it a bad law.

i seriously doubt that allowing for cooling of the occassional 60's/70's era VW bug or the even more rare air cooled motorcycle was the intention behind the law allowing lane splitting. Rather, i would surmise that the original intent was to increase rider safety and reduction of overall traffic congestion.
The law is written to address overall traffic speed (below 35mph, iirc), as well as m/c passing speed (no more than 10-15 mph greater than traffic speed, again iirc). Just like other traffic laws are ignored or "adjusted" by drivers & riders, this one gets ignored/adjusted as well- but that does not make it a bad law.

As mentioned above, there is no law about lane splitting or sharing in California. The California Vehicle Code simply doesn't explicitly outlaw the practice. The police have many laws they can choose to enforce if they don't like what they see. The various "rules" you read are just one officer's idea, often filtered through the usual Internet noise.

The guy zooming through fast moving traffic is probably breaking the speed limit, making illegal lane changes and various other regular laws. Probably at some point he will have a conversation at the side of the road with a CHP motor officer, but the odds are not high it will be when you see him doing it.

CA.Law;

It states that 2 vehicles cannot share the same lane,same time. Its that simple. It(the law) goes much un noticed here and given much leeway to bikers. Most motorists in the West are biker friendly, with a few knotheads, so beware always. Knotheads ride bikes too:). I travel the USA extensively and always try to avoid this lane split phenom when away from my home state, as too many drivers from around the USA take offense at the practice. IF I see other local bikers doing it in mass, I do it out of state. I rode the shoulder one day in Colorado at a construction site, 1 mile deep in stopped, creeping traffic:(. An ugly affair for a biker indeed. BOY, did I get the cold shoulder from the construction/female sign holder stopping traffic!!! SHE would not let me go, when she decided to let traffic flow again, holding the sign right AT my front wheel of my bike. She stared at me, giving me the you're guilty and I'm the enforcer look...We had words and threats thrown about(words) and she submitted, but what a sight, ugly. Remember Colorado, years ago. Randy

She stared at me, giving me the you're guilty and I'm the enforcer look...

She was probably a hall monitor in grade school as well. .. . between jobs cleaning erasers for the teacher. :brow

There are times to split lanes, and times not to. As far as "filtering" to the front of a line of cars at a stop light ... I don't like it when I'm in my truck, so I don't do it. I can't say why ... patience is patience. Splitting a lane to get through traffic at 30mph doesn't show a whole lot of patience either.
31.gif

I've always heard it started for air cooled engines, and that's what my CHP buddies tell me. But I can't say for certain, obviously. It sure helps with my RT though.

She was probably a hall monitor in grade school as well. .. . between jobs cleaning erasers for the teacher. :brow

There are times to split lanes, and times not to. As far as "filtering" to the front of a line of cars at a stop light ... I don't like it when I'm in my truck, so I don't do it. I can't say why ... patience is patience. Splitting a lane to get through traffic at 30mph doesn't show a whole lot of patience either.
31.gif

So when is it OK to you if not in traffic or filtering to the front at a light? When else would you do it?

Doing it at a light full of cars is the greatest advantage. No one is moving (less likely to cause a problem) and when the light turns green, you are gone. You don't hold anyone up at all. I do it in NC all the time. I may get a ticket, but hell, there's lots of things I can get a ticket for, so no big deal. And, only a Motorcycle cop can get you, a car can't filter.

Last edited:
The AMA has a section on State Laws:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/legisltn/laws.asp

For California, it says:
Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

For comparison, for Florida it says:

Lane Splitting 316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Dunno what the law says in CT. I do it occasionally, when traffic is bad. Usually dirvers are cool about it, although in NY I once had some jerk in a pickup open his door to try to stop a friend and myself. We just rode around it continued on our way.

In Custer State Park, SD, that same friend and I were trying to keep moving through stopped traffic to get away from a herd of buffalo (we felt pretty vulnerable) and some idiot in an RV tried to edge over and stop us. Words were exchanged and we moved on ... to another herd where I was chased down the road by a cow. And acquired a road name.

I just paid a ticket that I got for doing it in Mass. I see it going on all the time, but my luck ran out.

The problem I had with it, growing up in california, was when you were traveling in a car at say 55mph in some traffic (say speed limit is 65) and some jackalope zooms between you at 80 mph just flying up the road. That's dangerous and crazy, but still no reason to make proper use of it illegal.

The "jackalopes" give lane splitting a bad rap. When performed properly, it's not anymore dangerous than riding down the freeway in the center lane at the limit (which is not recommended). I only split when traffic is at a crawl and there is no space allowing cars to change lanes. In CA, most cars move over and give you berth (at least in the SF bay area). As soon as traffic speeds up above, say 25, I stay home in my lane. I also find lane splitting in commute traffic easier than other times of the day. It's like they appreciate more bikes, which leaves room for more cars and less congestion.

Vanch, I grew up in Sacramento. I don't see where we disagree. I lane split as you do, and I still do it (illegally I guess) in NC. "Jackalopes" was the G rated word I used to describe NOT those who lane split, but those who shoot up between cars at high speeds when traffic is also moving at high speeds. If you're doing 55 in a 65, and a guy lane splits at 65, that's crazy. And you well know, living where you do, that many cruise down the free way at 80+mph splitting lanes when traffic is at a crawl. That, again, is crazy.

I meant to be derogatory towards those riders, not all lane splitters, of which I am one.

The problem I had with it, growing up in california, was when you were traveling in a car at say 55mph in some traffic (say speed limit is 65) and some jackalope zooms between you at 80 mph just flying up the road. That's dangerous and crazy, but still no reason to make proper use of it illegal.

I think I have PTSD just from watching this video....:hide

Vanch, I grew up in Sacramento. I don't see where we disagree. I lane split as you do, and I still do it (illegally I guess) in NC. "Jackalopes" was the G rated word I used to describe NOT those who lane split, but those who shoot up between cars at high speeds when traffic is also moving at high speeds. If you're doing 55 in a 65, and a guy lane splits at 65, that's crazy. And you well know, living where you do, that many cruise down the free way at 80+mph splitting lanes when traffic is at a crawl. That, again, is crazy.

I meant to be derogatory towards those riders, not all lane splitters, of which I am one.

I'm with you. Those idiots (jackalopes) splitting lanes going at 80 are the ones that give lane splitting a bad rap.

Back