• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need some boots that add an inch or two to my height

kengoodwin

I just upgraded from an F800st to a new 2013 R1200GS. Even with the low suspension and low seat height, my feet still don't touch the ground all the way. I'm not on my tippy toes, I can get both balls of my feet on the ground. But would like a little more foot to touch the ground. Was thinking maybe some boots have thicker soles than others. Just an inch or inch and a half would make a big difference. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what type or brand of boot might offer the vertically challenged a little more height?
Thank you.

I just upgraded from an F800st to a new 2013 R1200GS. Even with the low suspension and low seat height, my feet still don't touch the ground all the way. I'm not on my tippy toes, I can get both balls of my feet on the ground. But would like a little more foot to touch the ground. Was thinking maybe some boots have thicker soles than others. Just an inch or inch and a half would make a big difference. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what type or brand of boot might offer the vertically challenged a little more height?
Thank you.
Welcome to the forum! We have had some issues with the search function- so I can't bring up one of the old threads on this subject. From memory, members were having a cobbler add some sole to their riding boots and not really buying a new pair. Chances are someone will chime in with some more specific information. Good luck.
Gary

And be aware that modifying your boots will affect how your foot hits the shifter and the brake.

Bob's comment above is quite true. I have the Sidi On-Road GoreTex boots that have a thicker-than-most outsole (1" heel, 1/2" forefoot) which might get you where you need to go, but the soles are a Vibram hiking boot imitation and they took some wearing and getting used-to to work the shift lever. As the boots loosened-up and the edges wore off the lug sole things got better and I really like these boots but would prefer a less aggressive sole. And a less aggressive price ($350) Check 'em out at Revzilla.com

pete

Thanks

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I also considered adding a removable boot lift and seeing how that works too. Found some at www.liftheightinsoles.com That way, if they don't feel right, I can just pull them out, and there's no permanent modifications to the boots. The Tornado boots look pretty thick too, I may just try a pair.
Thanks to all!

I wear regular Timberland Work Boots and have for the last 30 years or so. They work great, are comfortable all day long, and keep your feet dry in any weather.

Unless you're riding at the track give them a try I think you will like them. Another plus is the softer vibram sole always gives solid footing when you put your foot down. I've tried the motorcycle specific boots in the past and I think these are much better for daily riding.

And be aware that modifying your boots will affect how your foot hits the shifter and the brake.

I once had about an inch and more added to my boots, and the above post is correct. I had quite a bit of difficulty shifting with a thick sole. Finally went back to the shoe repair shop and had the boots reduced to about 1/2" or so to the original sole. If you are only putting the left foot down, then you might work on getting comfortable using the ball of the left foot and then work on flat footing the bike with only the left foot. Believe me, you really don't want 1" to 2" added to the boots. Been there, done that and it only created shifting problems.

Gotta say this. I'm 5'-6" tall, about 30" inseam, and ride a 94RS with a custom seat equal to the std height seat. I can easily get my left foot flat to the ground at stops and both balls of my feet down at stops. One thing that made me much more comfortable with this is rider training, like a MSF ERC or MSF ARC, Lee Parks Total Control or some other rider development training. Especially training that includes some aspects of motor-cop style training.

So consider additional rider training as another method to offset not being able to flat-foot a bike at a stop or to move a bike around using foot power.

Last edited:
Whites Boots. The Smoke Jumper model is a lace-up style. The Engineer boots are a pull-on. These are some of the best handcrafted made-in-the-U.S.A. boots around. They have very thick soles and will have you walking tall in no time.
Another brand is Wesco boots.

Gotta say this. I'm 5'-6" tall, about 30" inseam, and ride a 94RS with a custom seat equal to the std height seat. I can easily get my left foot flat to the ground at stops and both balls of my feet down at stops. One thing that made me much more comfortable with this is rider training, like a MSF ERC or MSF ARC, Lee Parks Total Control or some other rider development training. Especially training that includes some aspects of motor-cop style training.

So consider additional rider training as another method to offset not being to flat-foot a bike at a stop or to move a bike around using foot power.

What Andy says!! 1+

When I first went shopping for a bike I stopped at the local Harley shop. At just shy of 5'6", I asked the salesman if there was any rule of thumb for sizing bikes based on rider's height. He said, "If you can throw your leg over it, you can ride it!" He may have been exaggerating somewhat, but I ended up with an R1100RS with a stock seat. I can't flatfoot it on both sides, but it makes no difference. Ride it, practice it, work it, conquer it!!

Whites Boots. The Smoke Jumper model is a lace-up style. The Engineer boots are a pull-on. These are some of the best handcrafted made-in-the-U.S.A. boots around. They have very thick soles and will have you walking tall in no time.
Another brand is Wesco boots.

I wear Whites when I'm in the field. They are the best damned boots I've ever owned, and the most expensive. They also weigh a tad short of three pounds apiece! I have large calves and had to have mine custom cut, but that only added another $25 to the cost. Finally tally; $575.

4AZACE

I wish I could wear them while riding, but the soles are so thick I can't wear them while riding; I keep knocking the float bowls off the carbs.

What I'd like to have are a pair of Chippewa Rallys...

chippewa-rally.jpg

but they won't fit over my calves.... :banghead

What Andy says!! 1+

When I first went shopping for a bike I stopped at the local Harley shop. At just shy of 5'6", I asked the salesman if there was any rule of thumb for sizing bikes based on rider's height. He said, "If you can throw your leg over it, you can ride it!" He may have been exaggerating somewhat, but I ended up with an R1100RS with a stock seat. I can't flatfoot it on both sides, but it makes no difference. Ride it, practice it, work it, conquer it!!

If this were Facebook, I would "like" this! Yes, I think practice and getting used to the bike is the best thing!

I once had about an inch and more added to my boots, and the above post is correct. I had quite a bit of difficulty shifting with a thick sole. Finally went back to the shoe repair shop and had the boots reduced to about 1/2" or so to the original sole. If you are only putting the left foot down, then you might work on getting comfortable using the ball of the left foot and then work on flat footing the bike with only the left foot. Believe me, you really don't want 1" to 2" added to the boots. Been there, done that and it only created shifting problems.

Yes, I do usually stop putting only the left foot down. I have done that the entire time I've been riding. I like to have my right foot on the rear brake at lights or stop signs. I guess really just practicing and getting used to the new bike is really the best thing to do, although I did order a new pair of taller boots with a slightly thicker sole. I'll see how they feel and take it from there. Thanks!

I get to ride all the new BMWs when working at Nicks BMW as thier lead demo rider. The F800 is an easy flat foot bike for me with regular BMW style riding boots on. When I ride the R1200GS it certainly is taller, but I can still get my left foot flat to the ground at stops. Both feet is on the ball of my boots. Most often when i ride though, I can make complete stops with both feet on the pegs, and take off before I need to put any foot down. Again, that comes with training, practice and confidence.

A G450X, or a R1200GS Adventure, THOSE are tall bikes, for which I take more care in planning my stops, searching just where/when/how my foot will go down so I can still get one foot flat to ground. But both feet down is getting close to the toes of my boots. But the emphasis really is in the searching/planning of where/when/how you plan your stop to mitigate any "reach" issues. When I move tall bikes around, same for heavy bikes, I'm off the bike and I rest the bike against my right hip to help stabilize the bike AND me.

Back