• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Tank Bag

B

bkwags

I am in the market for a tank bag that will fit my 2005 RT. Went to the Beemer shop and dropped my jaw when I saw a $350 price tag on the bag. I only take an occasional trip, like once or twice a year so I am bit reluctant to fork over that kind of struedel. I will admit they have a pretty trip set up.

Does anyone have a used one they are willing to part with or advice on an aftermarket brand worth considering. The bike has 45,000 miles and still looks new. I don't want to scratch the paint on the tank.

Maybe $350 is not so much after all???:scratch

I looked for an alternate tank bag a few years back. After a couple of weeks of comparing options, I just decided to fork over the money for a bag which was already specifically designed to work with and for the RT.

I've had a couple of years to get over the dollar shock and looking back, I believe I made the right choice. (I too only take an occasional trip - once or twice per year.)

If you can find a used one for less, don't hesitate to grab it.

It's a very well designed and made item. If you really want sticker shock just come and price your items in Canada and do not forget to add the tax (HST-federal and provincial sales tax combined).

Touratech streetline flat tank bag

I purchased the Touratech Flat tank bag last year and have been very happy with it. It is a quality piece with a great RT specific attachment design. It easily pivots back for fueling and fits the tank contour perfectly. It isn't the largest bag but it works well for my needs. Plenty of room for wallet, cell phone, camera, extra gloves, maps, ear plugs and other items you need easy access to. It quickly detaches from the bike with a handy carry handle. When away from the bike it easily fits into the top case to be secured.The best part is the price is competitive for the quality you get. I have had a few riders inquire about the tank bag when on the road. They liked how it fits and looks on the bike. It fits the width of the tank rails perfectly. I took a small microfiber towel and fold it to fit between the rails. This prevents any paint contact and proves to be handy when cleaning the windshield at fuel stops. No tank scratches since I bought the bag.

http://www.streetline-usa.com/Store/552/PN-655-1020/FLAT-tank-bag-for-BMW-R1200RT

It's worth a look.

I'm pretty sure I paid about $299 for mine and it is WAY overpriced. But, it works flawlessly. It's now my "man purse" and I use it on every trip. It will also fit into one of the side cases so on a short trip around town I lock it in there if needed.

When the time comes that the bag is no longer usable, I'll re-use the base and glue on an aftermarket bag to the base. It is so easy and convenient.

I've seen them at Beemer Boneyard and Ebay also, so look there. Again, it is way overpriced but dang, I just love mine and am glad I went with it these last 4.5 years.

Went non OEM

I just wanted a small... very small tank bag. The BMW snaps on and off in an awesome way but 1) it is too big for me and 2) cost too much. Reason #1 was the main reason I went with the Touratech Flat. It fits just right on the tank rails and still comes off the bike in seconds. It's very well made and looks right on the bike. I am putting a cable port on it soon because there is where I have my iPod and charger for my phone. Right now I am passing the cables thru the zipper opening.

tsp
2010 R1200RT

I purchased my RT used and the BMW tank bag was included. Way to big and cumbersome for me. I removed the bag from the plate and mounted a Cortech Super Mini on the plate. Works great for the basic essentials and still retains the easy removal and installation of the bag.

Even on my long trips my Touratech bag is all I need. I didn't want (nor need) the bulk of the BMW bag. Another interesting looking option is customtankbags.com.

BMW RT tank bag

I researched the heck out of RT tank bag options and ended up buying an as-new BMW bag via an online forum for around $125. Used it on a 3500 mile 2-up trip recently and was very happy with it. Very convenient one-handed removal/mounting from the rail (even fully loaded), 2 expansion zippers for huge capacity when needed, nice setup. Zipped down to smallest size, its very unobtrusive. Even fully expanded, it does not block my line of sight to instruments. Turning handlebars lock to lock, it doesn't touch any handlebar controls thereby inadvertently activating a turn signal, etc. Find a good used one (preferably without yellowed map compartment) and be happy!

I added the R1200RT Tank Bag to the original purchase price of my new 2009 R1200RT. I love the tank bag, it works perfectly, holds a lot of stuff and I really like that the map case top is really close to my face when I'm riding. I'm probably one of the last hold outs on adding a GPS, so I love having the map so close to my eyes.
I balked at the price originally too, but with the way the system is set up for it and the quality of the bag, it's worth it. I hope not to be replacing it any time soon. Good luck with your choice, but as you can see, I'm an original equipment guy on this one. Don

I am in the market for a tank bag that will fit my 2005 RT. Went to the Beemer shop and dropped my jaw when I saw a $350 price tag on the bag. I only take an occasional trip, like once or twice a year so I am bit reluctant to fork over that kind of struedel. I will admit they have a pretty trip set up.

Does anyone have a used one they are willing to part with or advice on an aftermarket brand worth considering. The bike has 45,000 miles and still looks new. I don't want to scratch the paint on the tank.

I went with this, and would replace it in a heartbeat.

Good Luck. :thumb

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2342/451/

I have the large Wunderlich bag and love it. Easy on, easy off. Plus when i go hiking to a hot spring or walking around town it makes a nice back pack.

I have an RKA 8.5 liter that I've used on my 92 R100, then on my 02 LT, then moved it to an 09 Vstrom. Works like a champ and nary a problem. Now I have a 2010 RT and the straps will actually touch the painted parts so it's a no go. I am going to purchase a Big Mak bag. MADE IN THE USA just like the RKA. :usa

Thanks everyone

Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice. Especially on the flea market. I found one and have come to terms with the seller for a good price. This web site has helped me a few times already and I have only been a member for 10 months. Great site, great folks, really glad I got my beemer and joined.

Thanks again!!!

Ya might as well...

... get the factory tank bank, you'll be glad you did. You know it's going to fit and work well for the life of your bike, or at least as long as you own it before trading up.
Or trading over. I am passing on my 1300 GT for the 1200 RT. I rode an 1100 RT for 4 years and an 1150 RT for 6. Went with the GT to try something different and put 50,000 klix on her in a little over a year, 16,000 of which were in July.
With one hell of an aching right shoulder (It couldn't be arthritis, could it?, or creeping old age? Nawww! it's the ergonomics of the bike), I have decided to go back to the RT. It is simply the most comfortable and most capable bike on the market today for the long distance touring type guy like me.

So, back to the topic, I'm getting it brand new with the top box and tank bag.
What the hell, it's only money. There's more where it came from. A few overtime shifts will take care of everything.

"Betty IV" makes her debut on Monday the 16th.

-K.

I wanted the BMW tankbag,but the price was way too much.I looked at different types for several months,but could not find exactly what I wanted.Then I remembered that my son-in law had a BMW before he went over to the dark side (Harley Street Glide) Gave him a call and he had a BMW tank bag still in the box never used.He said he had no use for it and did I want it.I have had it for 2 years now and love it,The price was not bad either..

I used the RKA 8.5 but didn't like the trouble when filling up with petrol. So, I switched to the BMW model. Great for its easy on/off but I wish the size was smaller and the inside something more than a cavernous hole.

So, I still search...

Are you still looking for a R1200 RT tank bag? I have one that needs to find a home

Back