• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Oregon Rally Train

Going to Salem on the rally train definitely brings the possibility of being able to make the rally much more doable for me. I'm wondering if enough people from the New England area want to take the train that there would be enough of us to organize a truck for the bikes.

Louise

I believe the Yankee Beemers are putting something together. Two years ago a bunch of us here in RI shipped our bikes to Portland, using Keyboard Moving Co. We flew out early and rode around the area before attending the rally, then rode back. This year it is the RA Rally in Ashville, NC for me. Good luck.

2013 Rally Bike Transport

There are 6 of us from Charleston SC. Does anyone know of a way that we can ship the bikes via rail road round trip? I can see that there is a rail trip to haul the people but not the bikes. Money and time are the two challenges for us. We can fly relatively cheap and we aren't upset if the bikes have to shipped well in advance. What we need is to ship our bikes inexpensively to Salem and home. Rail shipments are often 1/2 or 1/3 the price of pavement.

If someone can figure another way we are willing. We would like to be at $750.00 per bike round trip. We can guarantee a minimum of 6 bikes possibly 10.

We are open to suggestions!! Thanks in advance!!

There is also Federal Motorcycle Transport (funtransport.com) and motorcycleshippers.com.

I was going to contact them to find out if there was a discount for a full truck say from Chicago and to find out the timing to and from.

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in shipping from Chicago to Salem (or vacinity), but would ride back.

There are 6 of us from Charleston SC. Does anyone know of a way that we can ship the bikes via rail road round trip? I can see that there is a rail trip to haul the people but not the bikes. Money and time are the two challenges for us. We can fly relatively cheap and we aren't upset if the bikes have to shipped well in advance. What we need is to ship our bikes inexpensively to Salem and home. Rail shipments are often 1/2 or 1/3 the price of pavement.

If someone can figure another way we are willing. We would like to be at $750.00 per bike round trip. We can guarantee a minimum of 6 bikes possibly 10.

We are open to suggestions!! Thanks in advance!!

For the price have you considered fly or train out and renting motorcycles? It's not as nice as having your own ride but it gets you to the rally and you can enjoy some riding while you're there.

I'm booking today...

I'm booking the train today.

Going to be on the Monday 15 July train out of Chicago to Portland. Going to ride back.

This train arrives in Portland at 10:10 am on Wednesday 17 July.

Anyone else in?

:ear

For the price have you considered fly or train out and renting motorcycles? It's not as nice as having your own ride but it gets you to the rally and you can enjoy some riding while you're there.

Rentals are generally around $200 per day after you add their mandatory insurance, etc. Not much savings there.

I'm booking the train today.

Going to be on the Monday 15 July train out of Chicago to Portland. Going to ride back.

This train arrives in Portland at 10:10 am on Wednesday 17 July.

Anyone else in?

:ear

How is your bike getting out there?

I'm either going to ship or rent. Probably ship.

Through Uship, I found a great guy to haul my GSA back to Chicago after the Sedalia rally earlier this year. I just traded emails with him today asking if he'd be interested in taking a few out to Portland/Salem. He's going to do the math on cost. He said he can take 6 to 8 comfortably.

While at the counter booking my one-way train trip, I ended up booking a round trip just in case I wanted to train back instead of riding. Train tickets are like air fares, the cost goes up closer to departure date, and I booked a superliner roomette as well, which would probably be gone by rally time had I wanted to book the return.

The Rally Train stops in Cleveland, OH also

I looked at the Amtrak schedule and sent an email to the Rally Chairs but haven't seen any info about this. The Rally Train makes a stop in Cleveland on it's way to Chicago. It is very early in the morning but none the less it is another way for people to get on the train. It departs Cleveland at 2:59AM on Sunday July 14th. It is an ungodly hour unless you like to stay out for last call at a night spot then head to the train station.:drink

Just want to put more info out there.

Stops between DC & Chicago; between Chicago & Portland

I looked at the Amtrak schedule and sent an email to the Rally Chairs but haven't seen any info about this. The Rally Train makes a stop in Cleveland on it's way to Chicago. It is very early in the morning but none the less it is another way for people to get on the train. It departs Cleveland at 2:59AM on Sunday July 14th. It is an ungodly hour unless you like to stay out for last call at a night spot then head to the train station.:drink

Just want to put more info out there.

We are researching to confirm the stops between DC and Chicago and then between Chicago and Portland. Once we are certain of them, we will post a website at which potential riders can read. Thanks for taking note.

Back