• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1st Time Caller - bought 04 R1150R last night

ncj01

First time poster, joined forum this morning, woo-woo, $94 for a year, may have clicked in wrong place. Oh well.

Bought a 04 R1150R last night, not first bike by a long shot, but first BMW.
(other/current bike is a Honda ST1100).

It's clean, 31k, silver, shield, backrest, not much else to say.

I can immediately tell:
1. I need more leg room, i'm cramped at 6-1 w/34" inseam
2. need lower pegs? Suggestions?
3. Need taller seat? Suggestions?
4. Need bar spacer/risers? Suggestions (this is probably the easy one, random/generic likely easily available)

I note there is a power-port on the left side of the bike about 8" above the peg - but it's not cigarette-lighter style, it's smaller.. Special plug for heated vest???

Is there a short list of the "must do" mods, accessories, or tips on this bike?
Last year of the 1150R I believe, right?

1st ride impression: a bit cramped, and massive compression braking, kinda abrupt between shifts.

Thnx!
Nathan

What is $94.-/year??? Don't tell me the MOA membership fee went up while I blinked???

BMWs have an unique power outlet plug. It is commonly available. Even in an adaptor variety.

Also, there is no other bike brand on the market for which you can buy as many ergonomic adjusters, i.e.: peg relocation kits, handlebar raisers etc , than for a BMW

Yes, $94/ for 12 months.
There were several options that were all 1-yr, i clicked on the bottom one, i think i may have accidentally bought roadside emergency service as well or something...?

Thnx for info, I'm not new to bikes and riding, but am new to BMW, so I need to figure all this stuff out - powerport adaptors, where to buy accessories, etc...

What is $94.-/year??? Don't tell me the MOA membership fee went up while I blinked???

BMWs have an unique power outlet plug. It is commonly available. Even in an adaptor variety.

Also, there is no other bike brand on the market for which you can buy as many ergonomic adjusters, i.e.: peg relocation kits, handlebar raisers etc , than for a BMW

For the plug outlet, Google search 'Powerlet' and you will find all you need. I too am of long legs, and use seat beads on my seat. They tend to keep the seat foam from compressing and essentially make the seat bout 1 to 2 inches taller, plus no 'monkey butt'! Does that model of bike have adjustable seat height?

I also have a set of bar risers for an R1100RT that I would sell cheap. Don't know if they fit your bike. Send me a private message.

Welcome to the insanity.

A word to the wise...don't ask about oil, don't ask about tires or tire pressure, that is unless you have time to read 50 responses for each topic!:laugh

Let me throw 1 more Q on you - Electronic Cruise Control - is it available aftermarket or as add-on?

thnx!

a great boxer!

First time poster, joined forum this morning, woo-woo, $94 for a year, may have clicked in wrong place. Oh well.

Bought a 04 R1150R last night, not first bike by a long shot, but first BMW.
(other/current bike is a Honda ST1100).

It's clean, 31k, silver, shield, backrest, not much else to say.

I can immediately tell:
1. I need more leg room, i'm cramped at 6-1 w/34" inseam
2. need lower pegs? Suggestions?

Here you go: http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1150R.htm
They make great stuff!!

3. Need taller seat? Suggestions?

Two suggestions although the first one may not be in keeping with the character of the bike it is IMHO the best seat in the market place:
1) http://www.day-long.com/gallery_BMW.html Russell Day Long - Quite simply nothing better - Custom to your specs if so desired

or

2) http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Seats-BMW/ Sargent Seats and perhaps a bit more in character with the bike - Call to discuss customization if available

Both of the above are excellent seats!

4. Need bar spacer/risers? Suggestions (this is probably the easy one, random/generic likely easily available)

Check with Suburban Machinery possibly via telephone as I didn't see your bike specifically. Maybe I missed it?

I note there is a power-port on the left side of the bike about 8" above the peg - but it's not cigarette-lighter style, it's smaller.. Special plug for heated vest???

Two purposes: Heated vest - I strongly recommend Gerbings - other purpose is to plug a genuine BMW battery tender in - great if bike sits frequently!

https://www.facebook.com/gerbingsheatedclothing

Is there a short list of the "must do" mods, accessories, or tips on this bike?
Last year of the 1150R I believe, right?

Install a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3's and if the dollars are available an Ohlins suspension front & rear!!

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road-3

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/moto-products

1st ride impression: a bit cramped, and massive compression braking, kinda abrupt between shifts.

I am 6' 1" as well and it is a bit cramped on my R1100R. I'm 59 years old and can however easily put in 700 + plus miles on demand. I'll put in the longest miles at the beginning of the day and by late afternoon I stop and walk a rest area approx every 150 miles. The gearbox leaves something to be desired but they seem to never break. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin Full Synthetic in the engine and change every 2.5k miles. Yes, overkill. I do the gearbox and the final every 5k miles; also overkill; still experimenting here. Last change used 85/140 and the gearbox has never run smoother. They don't seem to discuss this weight so maybe beware. Other than a fuel pump failure at 83 and change I think you can't kill this thing.

Oh yeah, I'm old. Just installed a Cee Bailey windshield +5". Waited for years to do this. Love fairings, hate windshields. Installation and subsequent 2k mile trip a month and a half ago confirmed my thinking. Yes, I am an idiot for riding with zero windshield for so many years. I now love the shield!

As far as cruise controls go, my Throttlemeister works pretty darn good and is ALOT cheaper that a full fledged cruise unit. I can lock it on and the bike will hold a steady speed indefinately, so long as its not up and down hills. On the interstates I find that the 'hills' are so long and gradual, I just make a small adjustment in throttle as I go up and another as I go down the hills. If I'm running 75mph, I may not even worry about it, just slows to about 70 uphill and speeds up to about 80mph going down.

I was not a believer of this product, but my bike came with it and now I wouldnt be with out one.

Ride it for a while. Perhaps it's different from what you are used to not wrong. Krauts have been fine tuning this thing since the '30's, give them a chance. I'm your size and ride a stock '02. On a fifteen hundred mile 4 day ride I wouldn't have changed anything but seat padding. And face it, hour after hour in sitting in exactly the same position is going to get uncomfortable no matter what you sit on.

I use a Throttlemeister although I would prefer a cheap thumb-toggled clamp if it would fit. don't know if one would.

I have a tall windshield for cold weather and a short one for warm. Electric-adjust of course, which I use a lot.

Thanks all.

I use a throttlemeister on my honda, it works well, but does take near-constant adjustment, although it does give the right hand a rest.

I just heard that a Rockster seat is the way to go on the 1150R if you want a bit more height...

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase. My first Beemer was a silver R1150R, it was one sweet machine. Looks like you're getting some good feedback here, my R came with the stock sport windscreen, I added a tall Cee Baileys screen for improved wind protection, and a custom Sargent seat for a better ride. Oh, and a set of Hella FF50s for conspicuity and more light at night.

Have you checked out www.R1150R.net ? Great source of info and a good bunch of folks over there!

Cheers!

Ride it for a while. Perhaps it's different from what you are used to not wrong. Krauts have been fine tuning this thing since the '30's, give them a chance. I'm your size and ride a stock '02. On a fifteen hundred mile 4 day ride I wouldn't have changed anything but seat padding. And face it, hour after hour in sitting in exactly the same position is going to get uncomfortable no matter what you sit on.

I use a Throttlemeister although I would prefer a cheap thumb-toggled clamp if it would fit. don't know if one would.

I have a tall windshield for cold weather and a short one for warm. Electric-adjust of course, which I use a lot.

"Ride it awhile" was going to be my suggestion as well. I purchased an R1100RS last fall. I'm 6'2", 34+ inch inseam. My knees don't like to bend like they used to, so my first thoughts were that I absolutely HAD to do something about the distance between pegs and seat. After riding it awhile, I'm not so sure. Same with the windshield. My first thoughts were that I HAD to get something bigger and taller. Now, still need to do some experimenting. I may still do something about the knee bend to the pegs as well as the windscreen, but at least after putting several hundred, or even a couple thousand miles on it, I'll have a much better idea of what's necessary and how I want to proceed.

Funny you mention the Rockster. When sitting on them, I always thought the Rockster felt more comfortable than the standard R1150R. It's the naked BMW that I'd get, if I even found an orange one for sale close to home.

For the record, my RS came with a Throttlemeister. I haven't really used it much, since I have not taken any trips on the bike; it's just been my commuter up to this point.

Back