• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Ordered Some Parts

Ordered some parts for the build today, some handlebars from Mikes XS, some rear view mirror and adapters from the Motorcycle Superstore and a chrome headlight ring from Max. Just scraping the surface in regards to what we need to order, but just getting a few easy things out of the way. Hope everyone has a great Easter.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 0000-CRG-Hindsight-Lane-Split-Bar-End-Mirror---.jpg
    0000-CRG-Hindsight-Lane-Split-Bar-End-Mirror---.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 634
Boxer Cafe Parts Ready

The custom parts that Boxer Cafe www.boxercafe.com has made for us are ready, still a couple of parts left but this is some of it. Thanks for following!

Sincerely,
Shane

Parts include: Starter Cover, Battery Relocation Kit (under seat), Cafe Tail, Slash 5 Cafe Fender. They are still working on the aluminum battery hold down strap and the new design for the seat pan.

Attachments

• My Boxer Cafe Custom Parts.jpg
    My Boxer Cafe Custom Parts.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 584
Shane, are those Boxer Cafe stock parts? What is custom about them? I have not seen the starter cover before. The other 2 look like what is on the web site, that's why I ask. Are you going with a rear fender or eliminating it?

Thanks!

John.

Parts

Shane, are those Boxer Cafe stock parts? What is custom about them? I have not seen the starter cover before. The other 2 look like what is on the web site, that's why I ask. Are you going with a rear fender or eliminating it?

Thanks!

John.

They did some extra work on the fender and the battery relocation setup, but their plan is that it is going to be part of their normal offerings, we are just the first customer to get them, the word custom was loosely used I guess, sorry about that.

Thanks,
Shane

They did some extra work on the fender and the battery relocation setup, but their plan is that it is going to be part of their normal offerings, we are just the first customer to get them, the word custom was loosely used I guess, sorry about that.

Thanks,
Shane

Hey, no problem, your bike is going to be custom for sure! I just didn't want to miss out on the details if you had them change up something or whatnot. I'm curious to see how that gen cover looks!

Key

We are going with a new more modern ignition and Josh is going to RetroFit a key into the Beetle Type Key Fob. I did not even know this was the design until Josh showed me, one of the advantages of never seeing a R75 in person before, I have all these surprises ahead of me. Thanks for following,
Shane

Attachments

• Retrofit Beetle Type Key.jpg
    Retrofit Beetle Type Key.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 525
Hand Controls

Josh did a little work this weekend on the bike, did some polishing and sanding of the hand controls.

Attachments

• 05-02-01_2 Controls Post Sanding.jpg
    05-02-01_2 Controls Post Sanding.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 492
The Bird's Nest also referred to as Light Housing

We are going to go with all new wiring harness throughout the bike, Josh referred to this as a Bird's Nest and I think that comment is very fitting, thanks for following,

Shane

Attachments

• 05-02-11_3 Headlight Housing with Wiring.jpg
    05-02-11_3 Headlight Housing with Wiring.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 494
I wish the film wasn't to "artsy". It might be just me, but she didn't look too comfortable on the bike, almost as if she had just barely learned to ride in order to make the film. I've heard of people starting their bikes that way...I do it standing beside the bike, though.

I wish the film wasn't to "artsy". It might be just me, but she didn't look too comfortable on the bike, almost as if she had just barely learned to ride in order to make the film. I've heard of people starting their bikes that way...I do it standing beside the bike, though.

I agree with everything you said and would add:

The real problem with the film is that it's a perfect example of bad film making. Theres no evidence of the film having been planned or story boarded. All they did was shoot a lot of unfocused, random stuff and intersperse it with shots of someone's girlfriend riding a BMW. and to think... The film maker probably earned a BFA for that! :sick

Nice bike though...

Inspiration for my Exhaust

I really wanted to do something a little different with the exhaust on my bike. I wanted to get away from the Pea Shooter type exhaust of the 70's. The below photograph is what I used for inspiration. We are going to get an exhaust for an R35 and incorporate it into our Cafe Racer. I just like the meaner look of the exhaust, nothing finalized yet, but wanted to share my inspiration for a different type exhaust, still a BMW product which is also cool. It is my bike's way of paying homage to all the BMW bikes that came before.

Sourced a new one here:
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/store/product_info.php?products_id=3230

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Shane's Exhaust Idea.jpg
    Shane's Exhaust Idea.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 400
Boxer Cafe

:thumb Good morning, Boxer Cafe has started to now advertise some of the pieces that they made for our bike, pretty cool. Craig Schmidt the owner is awesome and a enthusiastic to say the least, thanks Craig for all the hard work. He has always been a fan of Josh's work and we are so glad that they agreed to provide these parts for our build.

http://www.boxercafe.com/fendersCafeCustom.htm

Thanks,
Shane

Film

I agree with everything you said and would add:

The real problem with the film is that it's a perfect example of bad film making. Theres no evidence of the film having been planned or story boarded. All they did was shoot a lot of unfocused, random stuff and intersperse it with shots of someone's girlfriend riding a BMW. and to think... The film maker probably earned a BFA for that! :sick

Nice bike though...

Yeah I agree with you guys, but I tend to look past it all when I see a girl on a BMW, ha ha. I have to share the below photograph, it is absolutely my favorite picture of a girl on a BMW! Anyone know here identity that would be cool!

Thanks for following my build,
Shane

Attachments

• Unknown Female Racer.jpg
    Unknown Female Racer.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 438
Correction on Mother of Motorcycles

My wonderful builder Josh pointed out to me that Anka-Eve Goldmann may have to take the top spot that I assigned to Ms. Webber previously as the Mother of All Things BMW, Anka is an amazing woman and her legacy with motorcycles and specifically BMW motorcycles is second to none.

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2009/02/anka-eve-goldmann.html

I am learning much about the history that surrounds these bikes and that is the part that I enjoy most about this process.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Anke-Eve Goldman.jpg
    Anke-Eve Goldman.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 425
Back