• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Putting the T's in Twisties

522173946_JjtjX-M.jpg

And Route 28's high speed twisties were the perfect way to decompress from the traffic on the Dragon.

28 is a great road. :thumb

Here's another suggestion if you have time and want to add some miles to the ride. Continue on 28 between Lauda and Franklin -- the twisties continue for miles. After reaching Franklin, take 64 down to Highlands and then continue on 64 east to either 215 or 276 then back up to Waynesville. It's a is a nice run that takes you up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway. The route from Lauda to Waynesville via 28/64/215 is about 120 miles. It's about the same distance if you take 28/64/276 to Waynesville. If you want to lunch at the Pisgah Inn Restaurant at the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway -- it's just a short ride east (towards Asheville) from the Blue Ridge Parkway / 276 junction. I leave Monday to ride them all over again.

I 40 in Knoxville

Good news for the folks that want the quickest route to the Dragon! I 40 through Knoxville is reopening in June, so that will make it a lot faster to continue through Knoxville, take the Alcoa (airport) exit (129 south).

Can these be done ( DS route ) 2up.
Dave

yes... the roads are pretty tame.

but ask yourself about your skill level, the Parson's Branch road out of the Smokey Mountain Park is not your average graded gravel road.

if you're the least bit uncomfortable being 2-up on something other than gravel, i'd avoid this one.

and also >>> please check to be sure the road is open, as right now it is closed for repairs but scheduled to be open by rally time. <<<

have a good time!

ian

Good news for the folks that want the quickest route to the Dragon! I 40 through Knoxville is reopening in June, so that will make it a lot faster to continue through Knoxville, take the Alcoa (airport) exit (129 south).

ok, cool. that was questionable at the time the article was written.

this would be a much faster route.

thanks for the heads up.

this section of 28 is on the 1,001 Twisties route. :thumb

Missed it on the map, sorry. I just had the pleasure of riding this section again a couple of weeks ago -- another great run with just a bit of local traffic and a few bikes during the weekday.

One of the favored and recommended roads I heard lots about during our trip was NC 209 on your 1,001 twisties route. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to try that road next time because I didn't get around to it. For some of the area riders I spoke with during our trip, 209 is one of the local favorites.

Blue Ridge 1150GS ride Blue Ridge 1150GS Ride Video I put up a new YouTube Video of m

I put up a new YouTube Video of my son and me on a 1150GS and KLR 650 ride through the mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee. For those going to the Rally in Johnson City, take a look at the dirt roads and twisties pavement of this area. The Dragon, Smoky Mountains, Max Patch, and the Blue Ridge Parkway are all represented. These maps are great, by the way. Thanks.

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsxnu...e=channel_page

Enjoy the video. We had a great time making it.

I put up a new YouTube Video of my son and me on a 1150GS and KLR 650 ride through the mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee. For those going to the Rally in Johnson City, take a look at the dirt roads and twisties pavement of this area. The Dragon, Smoky Mountains, Max Patch, and the Blue Ridge Parkway are all represented. These maps are great, by the way. Thanks Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsxnu...e=channel_page

Enjoy the video. We had a great time making it.

That was great -- nice video work -- thanks for sharing. We covered lots of the same (paved) roads during our trip last week and I agree with you -- the riders that live in the area are very fortunate indeed. :thumb

How do I access the coordinates?

Hi. I need some help accessing the coordinates on my Garmin Nuvi 350. I plugged the GPS into the computer and copied and pasted the Garmin specific files to the Nuvi folder. How do I access them on the GPS? I've poked all around it and can't figure it out. Thanks.

Hi. I need some help accessing the coordinates on my Garmin Nuvi 350. I plugged the GPS into the computer and copied and pasted the Garmin specific files to the Nuvi folder. How do I access them on the GPS? I've poked all around it and can't figure it out. Thanks.

hmmmm... i am a nuvi n00bie.

the way i do this is open the files in mapsource, hook the GPS to the computer and turn it on, and then use icon in the toolbar with an arrow pointing toward the GPS to copy the file to the GPS.

there may be different ways to do this, but that's how i do it with my 276C

ian

and oh... after dinking around the hills near the rally over the weekend, do i EVER have a nice dual-sport ride for you all... stay tuned.

No BMW Friends

I certainly hope they're welcome. Otherwise I could be in trouble since I'm riding my VStrom instead of my K1200RS--just so I can ride Ian's roads!

San Antonio Mike

I have a Mac and a Nuvi 750, so at least for me, RoadTrip has an "Import" function on the "File" menu at the top. I then navigate to the GPX or GDB file and pull it in. That's it! All waypoints and route is loaded. Very easy, quick.

A big thanks for the routes Ian! we did the Virginia Super T's Saturday morning and had a blast...it did take us down a 4 mile stretch of loose stuff that I loved but Helen was chatting about in my radio right after we crossed this bridge...:laugh:laugh:laugh She told me she was NOT on her GS! Maybe my GPS routed us down that...Indian Paint road near Claypool on Hwy 19. Anyways...great routing:thumb

Attachments

• 09 MOA rally (31).jpg
    09 MOA rally (31).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 86
A big thanks for the routes Ian! we did the Virginia Super T's Saturday morning and had a blast...it did take us down a 4 mile stretch of loose stuff that I loved but Helen was chatting about in my radio right after we crossed this bridge...:laugh:laugh:laugh She told me she was NOT on her GS! Maybe my GPS routed us down that...Indian Paint road near Claypool on Hwy 19. Anyways...great routing:thumb

you know what they say.... always an adventure! :thumb

an R is a GS with shorter shocks, dontchaknow?

glad you enjoyed it, steve and helen

I found out quickly that you don't depend on your GPS in the Virginia mountains. It will lead you to roads a billy goat can't travel. It sometimes takes you to roads that were closed many years ago. If I didn't already know the roads, I would buy a map.

you know what they say.... always an adventure! :thumb

an R is a GS with shorter shocks, dontchaknow?

glad you enjoyed it, steve and helen

We def enjoyed it...she has taken my R12RT down some looser stuff in TX so I wasn't worried...I also used the Adventure line after we got back to the main drag...she had to laugh at that point...she said thanks as well!

I found out quickly that you don't depend on your GPS in the Virginia mountains. It will lead you to roads a billy goat can't travel. It sometimes takes you to roads that were closed many years ago. If I didn't already know the roads, I would buy a map.

I had a decent marked up map that I kept glancing at the whole ride...I have had GPS's just black out before so not tied to them totally...I saw this veer off as we got to it and said what the heck... looks doable! It was really pretty back in there even as we passed Gomer and his two hounds on his D5 Caterpillar cleaning the rain damage up! Missed a photo op due to the upcoming downhill lefty.
We have some of those closed roads in Central TX as well when a quarry operation buys the ROW from the county and no one updates the maps...leads to some intersting u-turns for sure.

We def enjoyed it...she has taken my R12RT down some looser stuff in TX so I wasn't worried...I also used the Adventure line after we got back to the main drag...she had to laugh at that point...she said thanks as well!

ok, i went back and checked the route... looks like you took a little detour onto 19 and your GPS was trying to get you back on track.

personally, i love setting the GPS on "shortest distance" and seeing what happens! :ha

how about VA16??? (i think ken had that on his rides, too... super sweet road, one of the best in the country)

ok, i went back and checked the route... looks like you took a little detour onto 19 and your GPS was trying to get you back on track.

personally, i love setting the GPS on "shortest distance" and seeing what happens! :ha

how about VA16??? (i think ken had that on his rides, too... super sweet road, one of the best in the country)

I agree that VA16 is up there on my list....Helen wanted to flip around and "do it again":laugh
Was one more stretch some sportbikes use a lot towards end of the route before you got back onto the main drags...maybe 421? Had one knarly hidden right handed switchback near the start that you really had to crank the bars and throttle to make it around. The sportbike guys gave Helen a big:thumb when she came up behind them at the turnoff after the run. we weren't that far off their pace!

I have set the shortest distance option and laugh at some of the "shortcuts" at times...when alone I try them out

Was one more stretch some sportbikes use a lot towards end of the route before you got back onto the main drags...maybe 421?

yes, the northern section of the Snake was the end of one of the supertwisties routes. it is, indeed, a real workout.

believe it or not, the southern part is even twistier!

Back