• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not too bad for a wiring no0b '94 K1100RS

Shoganai

The goals -
1. Move all accessory the fuses to one location.
2. Reduce or eliminate all in-line fuses.
3. Location must not require removing anything to access or visualize.
4. For best circuit protection, locate nearest to the battery.

Sub-goals -
1. Move cruise control
2. Move & replace over-ride fan switch
3. Identify & number all circuits

First gut it and mock up the wiring, labeling as I went.

(note Rossi the cat; it's my belief that cats have a special gene that allows them to locate the MOST valuable property in any room and then proceed to occupy it)

pic%2012-XL.jpg

The plan on paper.

pic%206-XL.jpg

The resources.

pic%2018-XL.jpg

pic%2017-XL.jpg

pic%209-XL.jpg

First - ground everything.

Inside the copper, the entire wire cluster is soldered as one unit and that it soldered to the inside of the copper after crimping it.

pic%2014-XL.jpg

Next create a common hot bus bar.

pic%201-XL.jpg

pic%202-XL.jpg

pic%203-XL.jpg

pic%204-XL.jpg

pic%205-XL.jpg

Mounting location.

pic%208-XL.jpg

Test wiring new fan switch using an LED in place of the fan.

pic%2011-XL.jpg

Pull all the hots to the new location.

pic%2015-XL.jpg

And bundle them.

pic%2010-XL.jpg

Install new fan switch and relocate CC.

To put the CC there I had to cut ALL those tiny wires, cut a hole in the dash, pull they thru and solder them all back together. (yes, the system still works)

pic%2013-XL.jpg

Completed system.

fuse%20block.jpg

Glow fuses will be installed later this week, grease will be applied to connectors and the wires need a little cleaning up. I spaced the system off the coil pack by 1cm. I still need the make fuse block labels.

Three inline fuses remain; 1 for J&M, 1 for CC & 1-30 amp from the battery to the fuse blocks.

I didn't blow any fuses in the fuse blocks and only one when jump charging from the truck but that happens when one reverses the polarity of the jumping cables.

Ride it like you stole it!
After you wrench it like you broke it.
- Shogs
Culpeper, VA

FUEL: The ONLY time you have too much is when you're on fire.

Very nice work!

Talk a little about the cruise control: what'd you start with, how long it's been in place, how challenging the install was, etc.

Here's the write up on K11OG. You'll have to page down a-ways.
It's mixed in with other on-going work and not by any means a detailed how-to.

It was the MOST complex farkle to install but WORTH it over and over again.
It may well be the best thing I ever installed on the bike.

Been in place and working flawlessly since Nov. 2013

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5777&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1223/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-3592/overview/

You're welcome. Oh I am not fearless, if fact I'd rather handle live rattle snakes (and have) than herd electrons. They scare the bejeezes out of me.

Thanks for the links, Shoganai. It is daunting to do that. You are apparently without fear!

Thanks. Funny, she doesn't like bacon...butter and milk OTH...oh heck yeah.
She's just seriously attached to me and has to be everywhere I am. She even waits for me to get out of the shower.

The bacon in the fifth picture down looks delicious. Is that what keeps the cat around?

Nice project :thumb I noticed the Radio Shack DMM (digital multi-meter), For anyone looking for a nice, handy, easy to use DMM- that's it. It's catalog #22-813.
OM

I wouldn't necessarily call someone with 5 boxes of wires, parts, and heatshrink a Noob...

Nice work!

Lol!

Never confuse Autistic OCD coupled with hording/must-have-one-of-everything-just-in-case with expertise.

They look alike until you watch someone trying to understand why the "open" circuit won't let's the electrons through just like an open door.

Really, was the level of understanding I went into this project with.

Thank you none the less.

I wouldn't necessarily call someone with 5 boxes of wires, parts, and heatshrink a Noob...

Nice work!

Back