• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 k75 fuel filter

DENKAR55

I recently bought a K75. It resides in Germany.

I wanted to change the fuel filter. I just recently ordered a workshop book for it.

My question is......

Is the changing of the filter involve removing the tank or ?

Dennis

2012 R1200RT
1995 K75

You can remove the gas cap assembly and just reach in.
It helps if the gas level is low.

No. No need to remove tank.

Remove 4 screws that hold the fuel filler cap and neck to the tank.

Cover top of tank with a couple layers of towels to prevent getting any drips of fuel on the paint.

Loosen hose clamp on the short hose on the end opposite the filter. A LONG screw driver really helps (one hand in tank holding clamp and screwdriver tip. The other hand outside the tank turning the screw diver).

Lift filter and hoses out of tank.

Remove long hose from filter.

Transfer short hose to new filter. Make sure arrow on filter points toward short hose.

Reinstall.

It helps to put a reference as to what the thread is about in the title. I've added that info for you.

:dance:dance:dance

You might want to change the year of the bike :)

I just thought it was one of the REALLY early ones. That would be the kickstart, drum braked, carbureted ones. :laugh

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks very much. Your directions and information will be very helpful. Thank you for your time and knowledge..

Dennis

No. No need to remove tank.

Remove 4 screws that hold the fuel filler cap and neck to the tank.

Cover top of tank with a couple layers of towels to prevent getting any drips of fuel on the paint.

Loosen hose clamp on the short hose on the end opposite the filter. A LONG screw driver really helps (one hand in tank holding clamp and screwdriver tip. The other hand outside the tank turning the screw diver).

Lift filter and hoses out of tank.

Remove long hose from filter.

Transfer short hose to new filter. Make sure arrow on filter points toward short hose.

Reinstall.

It helps to put a reference as to what the thread is about in the title. I've added that info for you.

The BMW filter is about $25. I found a filter that looks exactly the same it at Autozone for $4. I have been using them for years with no problem. Just be careful to the the right nipple size. Sorry, I do not have a part number.

Be very careful.

Some "identical looking" filters don't have the burst pressure rating or the correct micronic filtration required for fuel injected motors.

Some of the cheaper filters have less filtration capacity (less square inches of filter paper inside) and will plug up quicker).

IF you are going to substitute parts, research the specifications first. Just because the can on the outside is the same size and shape does not guarantee that it will meet the same specs.:dunno

Last edited:
Just adding one small tip to Lee's excellent description: assuming your machine still has the original hose clamps, they're 7mm screw heads. A 7mm socket on a screwdriver handle, or on a thumb roller, or both, makes this task waaaay easy.

Just for completeness: Everything in there is 7mm, except one of the two nuts on the fuel pump, which is 8mm. If you're going to be maintaining the bike yourself, you may be in there more than you think, and adding 7mm and 8mm nut drivers to your toolbox is well worth it.

Back