• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

For Those Who are Vertically Challenged-A Possible/Partial Solution

B

BACKROAD.ADV

Some of us have a hard time getting our feet down with new bike seat heights.

Sometimes suspension modifications are not enough and even sometimes seat mods don't quite do it.

I have another possible solution that might give you an additional 1/2 inch and that's by adding 1/2 inch to the soles of your riding boots.

Below are some photos of my two pairs of riding boots Vendramini and Sidi. Both have sole extensions and Vibram soles. My local cobbler was able to perform this task quite reasonably.

See Pictures below.

982888819_q7fRg-L.jpg

982889621_MWrtU-L.jpg

Hope this helps some of you that just need a little extra or :bliss

backroad ADV

Bought a set like that for the wife, as she stands 5'1", but she found them clunky, and very hard to work the shifter, if the shift lever is high enough to get your toe under, it requires you raise your foot off the peg to down shift.

Additionally Vibram soles are great for gripping, but most people slide their feet off the pegs, and around on the pegs, and the big lugs have a tendency to grip the peg and get "caught", again requiring lifting the foot to move on the peg. That is why almost all MC boots have a "tread" on the sole, not big lugs.

In fact the boots I bought her are at the cobblers as we speak, getting put back to normal.

If they work for you great, but just pointing out some of the downside to the modification so people can make an educated decision.

The best solution is to adjust your riding style, you really don't need BOTH feet on the ground most of the time, yes backing up a bike and some other actions are hard, but if you look at most dirt bikes, even Basketball players would have a hard time getting both feet on the ground, let alone the normal height person, yet they are ridden at slow speeds, and in slippery conditions all the time. Also work on your slow speed skills, while keeping BOTH feet on the pegs. A good trials rider never dips a foot.

Bought a set like that for the wife, as she stands 5'1", but she found them clunky, and very hard to work the shifter, if the shift lever is high enough to get your toe under, it requires you raise your foot off the peg to down shift.

Additionally Vibram soles are great for gripping, but most people slide their feet off the pegs, and around on the pegs, and the big lugs have a tendency to grip the peg and get "caught", again requiring lifting the foot to move on the peg. That is why almost all MC boots have a "tread" on the sole, not big lugs.

In fact the boots I bought her are at the cobblers as we speak, getting put back to normal.

If they work for you great, but just pointing out some of the downside to the modification so people can make an educated decision.

The best solution is to adjust your riding style, you really don't need BOTH feet on the ground most of the time, yes backing up a bike and some other actions are hard, but if you look at most dirt bikes, even Basketball players would have a hard time getting both feet on the ground, let alone the normal height person, yet they are ridden at slow speeds, and in slippery conditions all the time. Also work on your slow speed skills, while keeping BOTH feet on the pegs. A good trials rider never dips a foot.

Good points--- but if you ride like I do both feet on the ground are essential at times and could be dangerous if you can't get your feet down especially when riding steep single track carrying a load.

I have no shifter issues because I moved the shifter on the spline to adjust for the height difference. It seems everytime I buy a different boot I have to move the shifter somewhat anyway. Good trials rider doesn't carry 60-120 pounds of camping gear, or pulls a trailer on single track or goes for a 5-8 mile hike in his riding boots.

971084816_ZcLG4-L-1.jpg

Soon I will have a similar configuration for my F650GS.

Thanks for sharing your perspective-that's what makes riding so much fun, (different riding styles, different experiences and sharing them with others).

Backroad ADV

Last edited:
I stick out my toes-cheaper and works for me. I really don't see how you shift in those?

Shifting is a piece of cake no problems at all. My motocross boots are harder to shift with than either of these two boots.

Back