• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tearing down the drive

ahdoman

Ref; 1999 R1100S
Hey everybody, I'm a returning member (been away about 2 years) and I just purchased a very high mileage R11S (140k) that has impeccable maintenance records. This is my first R bike (except for the R60US I restored) so I'm looking forward to learning more about this wonderful machine. However, it appears that the drive seal is leaking and I really should tear down the drive anyhow to see how things look. I've found several "step by steps" in written form but none with pics. Anybody know of one that's available? I'm a very capable garage mechanic (built several cars and bikes) and I love learning and knowing about the bike I'm riding.

google bmw LT final drive video. It is the same as your final drive. I use a similar method but I have fixtures made to hold them & check the preload when I rebuild them.

That's good info on the FD but I still need the details on removing the swingarm and shaft. I've confirmed that my driveshaft seal is leaking at the transmission so it all has to come off.

Buy a service manual or download one?

I don't mean to sound like a smartass but you can download a service manual from http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp. Personally, I like my Haynes, it has colored pictures, just like a comic book.

Now that time, I sounded like a smartass.

Seriously, the only real trick I can think to taking it apart is to have the right tools, all readily available and a good heat gun used at the right time.

Good luck and have fun taking it apart. That time, I was sincere.

The 1100 and 1150 are kissing cousins when it comes to doing a spline lube or seal replacements. Other than a hydraulic clutch on the 1150 and mechanical on the 1100 this pictorial thread olsensan posted here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?58748-Pictorial-2002-1150RT-Spline-lube&highlight=A+pictorial+Spline+Lube should give you a good visual on the job. There are some other good links in the thread. You can also search on YouTube and watch some of Chris Harris' videos if you don't mind his attitude and lots of cursing. :)

happy wanderer;900156 spline lube [URL="http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?58748-Pictorial-2002-1150RT-Spline-lube&highlight=A+pictorial+Spline+Lube" said:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?58748-Pictorial-2002-1150RT-Spline-lube&highlight=A+pictorial+Spline+Lube[/URL] You can also search on YouTube and watch some of Chris Harris' videos if you don't mind his attitude and lots of cursing. :)
Wow, thought about Happy Wanderer's message a couple times and thought he was over-complicating a simple problem. I thought maybe he drove through some of the smoke that "happens" in the interior.
Actually, if you going to all this effort, he's right. Do the spline lube as well.

Get the R1100S service DVD from BMW dealer

And, given that BMWs are gentlemen's bikes, it's "disassemble" rather than "tear down."

lkchris, your intentions are honest, my stealership won't give me crap without $$$

Get the R1100S service DVD from BMW dealer

And, given that BMWs are gentlemen's bikes, it's "disassemble" rather than "tear down."

My experiences with my stealership aside, the manual is on Carl Salter's website.

That's a different thread for another time.

If you have sufficient problems with a dealer to accuse them of stealing we all might like to know who this dishonest dealer is. So who is it?

That's a different thread for another time. I have stories, not good ones. None of the dealerships I worked for would ever pull the BS that these guys do. Maybe I'll post it under "Campfire", or not.

I certainly didn't expect a DVD of any sort from any dealership would be free. I did post a link for a FREE service manual and an opinion that I liked the Haynes manual.

It was totally my intention to give ahdoman some direction and an opinion. He stated he was looking to understand his ride better.

What's with you guys? :banghead

Hey everybody - thanks for all of the "colorful" discussion. I've order the Clymer, I have the BMW service manual and am looking forward to "disassembly".

Back