• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

Luftmiester fairings used the OEM headlight and turn signals. Those owners who purchased Vetter usually lost the original parts since Windjammers did not use the original parts.

The original Windjammer through Windjammer II, III, and SS (with Leading Edge Lights) used a standard 7" automotive sealed beam; a 7" H4 was later offered. The /6 and later machines used a 7" bulb which could be moved to the fairing.

If you had a /5 you actually made out better because either was superior to the OEM 160mm reflector. And as you mentioned, the OEM 160mm reflector, lens, and ring usually ended up in a box in the corner of the garage to be lost in the shuffle.

This Windjammer is first generation ('71-'73), if you still have it I'd be curious to know what it's serial number is. The oldest known is #1000.

attachment.php

I do have two different Vetters one is a II,subtle differences. I haven't tried the ring from either yet.

The serial # 7933 on the /5's removed fairing, way past 1000, the II from the /6 is 16027...are there that many of these out there? :laugh
The PO's wife said the ring and lens are somewhere in the garage as mentioned.

On both bikes the blinkers swapped back to the OEM mounts with no major issues...the /5's stalks had been bent downwards to clear the Vetter:banghead I heated and gently leveled them.

really enjoying all the latest pics fellas...some really nice ones for sure.

A Vetter-less shot...

Attachments

• P9300134.jpg
    P9300134.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 580
It's an ammeter inline with (+) lead to wiring harness near battery, I would have not ran such long non- protected leads under tank all the way back to battery:uhoh I will correct that for sure.

...there are also two fuse holders, one on each side of bucket....assuming easier access w/ fairing in place.The bulb socket was cut out to tap the Vetter harness...the one on the /6 was just taped up. To me, the worst part of bringing this bike back to life is repairing electrical up here...I hate scotchlocks as well!

PA160143.jpgPA160146.jpg

Ouch , my eyes !!

It escapes me that people can do such an abomination to electrics , but yet these old air heads continue to run :german

Just picked up a 1978 R100/7 last Thursday 15,791 two owner miles on it...runs good, everything works.
She needs the typical TLC.

Got everything that I think I will need to get her on the road for fall color tour time.

I have a thread going in the Airheads forum about her.

then...and NOW....

While I am not completely finished with the resurrection...things are progressing quite well.

1993 r100gs

Just picked up a 1993 R100GS that came from North Carolina with 14,700 miles on it.
It was very well looked after.
I am retiring my 1977 R100RS with 525,000 miles.

Attachments

• BMW left side full.jpg
    BMW left side full.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 474
movin on up !

well congrats, nice bike, sad to hear you are retiring the RS wish you well, and thanks for the pm, sent one back did you get it?good luck,Jimmy:wave

Hi Jimmy
Thanks
No messages in my inbox?

Darryl -

Have you noticed if you've been receiving PMs lately? Because I see that you have two username accounts, both with the same name. As I understand it, the PM system doesn't know which one to send it to, so it does nothing. I would suggest you call Jeff in the office and ask him to straighten things out. Only he can resolve this situation properly.

Sorry about that...Kurt

Darryl -

Have you noticed if you've been receiving PMs lately? Because I see that you have two username accounts, both with the same name. As I understand it, the PM system doesn't know which one to send it to, so it does nothing. I would suggest you call Jeff in the office and ask him to straighten things out. Only he can resolve this situation properly.

Sorry about that...Kurt

Where does it show that I have two username accounts, both with the same name?

I can't see it!

Back