• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Iphone 6 Plus and my GTL?

Drew
I love having my IPhone 4S connected to my bike. But I'm considering upgrading to the IPhone 6 Plus. I'm wondering if it will fit in the compartment on the right side of the bike. That will make a big difference in my decision.

I love having my IPhone 4S connected to my bike. But I'm considering upgrading to the IPhone 6 Plus. I'm wondering if it will fit in the compartment on the right side of the bike. That will make a big difference in my decision.

iPhone6plus.JPG
Here are the dims

I think not

I have a 5s which I keep in an otter box which will not fit. I took the foam insert out and the problem is the overall length when you add the adaptor from the old style (4S and previous) connector to the new style. The otter box doesn't add a whole lot to the overall length but when you add the adaptor it's a no go.

Here was/is my solution. http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/55577-ram-mount-help.html

Scroll down to Arizona Jim's post

I use an otter box with a slip grip mount https://slipgripcarmounts.3dcartstores.com

Sorry for the pic - sent my daughter out to take a pic, and well.....

Attachments

• IMG_4472-L.jpg
    IMG_4472-L.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4471-L.jpg
    IMG_4471-L.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 245
My dealer advised when I got my GT to NOT put phone in right side compartment due to heat
Have a bar bag with cable to power plug no issues..

My dealer advised when I got my GT to NOT put phone in right side compartment due to heat
Have a bar bag with cable to power plug no issues..
The same caution is in the '14 RT owners manual. Pretty amazing, a compartment for your electronic devices that they advise you not to use.

I've found that if the ambient temp is below ~85 degrees it doesn't get too hot. I have cooked my iPhone in the tank bag to where it shut down. A piece of white paper in the map window fixed that issue.

Yes...it fits.....

....My wife just got the 6 (Not the 6Plus) It fits in the slot in the foam (without any sort of case etc) I suppose the foam could be "altered"if you do have a case. And....yes....if you do go this route, I suggest a meat thermometer.....so you can pull it out before it gets "Well Done".
I personally don't use either compartment for anything that will "Melt"......It is rather piss-poor that they designed it as such......silly Germans.

Thanks

....My wife just got the 6 (Not the 6Plus) It fits in the slot in the foam (without any sort of case etc) I suppose the foam could be "altered"if you do have a case. And....yes....if you do go this route, I suggest a meat thermometer.....so you can pull it out before it gets "Well Done".
I personally don't use either compartment for anything that will "Melt"......It is rather piss-poor that they designed it as such......silly Germans.

Thanks!!!:twirl:thumb

Off to the apple store I go... And to Amazon for the correct connector

i5

never had my i5 shut down while in the foam without it's otterbox case. Been riding on some hot days this summer too.

i5

I use my i5 without the otterbox in the foam and have never had a shutdown and love it. I keep my garage remote in the left side case and it's never melted...and I do use premium gas... not sure where folks are riding where these compartments are a problem...or for how long. all ok here

Back