• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Texting Twit

flyrider

Morning Person
Last night, coming home from a concert by a well-known guitarist, we're following this car (we're in our car) that's weaving from lane to lane. Get to stoplight...it's a young woman with her arms through the steering wheel, holding a smartphone (oxymoron alert), and texting. Light turns green...she drives this way...texting...no hands on the wheel. Weaves into right lane, back to center lane, weaves into left lane. We're behind her. I flash my lights to wake her the #@*&! up, and she momentarily gets stable and slows to the speed limit. When she realizes I'm not a cop....zoom!...off she goes, and resumes weaving.

God help us...our race is doomed. :brow

This is one time I would approve the use of a cell phone in a car: dial 911 and turn her in for reckless driving.

Harry

On Sunday afternoon I rode an hour north to visit some friends. Coming back I hopped on I-29 the last 30-miles -- I had stayed a bit long and was running late for a family gathering. As I pulled into town a large SUV pulls next to me in the passing lane. A National Guard soldier (still in his fatigues) is holding out his "smartphone" in his right hand at arms length, in his left hand is a lit cigarette. Yee Gads! Doesn't he know that smoking can slow down your ability to text?!?!? :hungover

God help us...our race is doomed. :brow

I agree.

Yesterday the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, was photographed reading a paper as traffic was travelling at 100-120 km/hr. When asked about it he replied that it didn't affect his driving. This is the same mayor who recently passed a street car with its doors open taking on and letting off passengers. He has been photographed talking on his cell while driving in the city. Some leadership!!!!

The Toronto Police have asked him to hire a driver.

Just to ad interest to this thread(as this has become "regular" behavior now days) I'll say that we followed a lady to work some years back, for many miles of erratic 2 lane driving all over both lanes and I even tailed her into her workplace to pin that down as well . I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?

Where is the outrage? Seriously...this is such patently reckless and moronic behavior that one would expect the "public" to demand action. But "the public" is more likely to be moved to act if their favorite reality show gets cancelled.

I try not to let things get to me, but watching someone recklessly disregard the lives of others is something that's hard to let go without remarking on it. There was a young kid killed a couple of weeks ago here...riding his bike, and hit by a woman in an SUV - guess what?...texting. And they call it "inattentive driving". She gets a fine...maybe...the kid gets no more life.

Makes me want to move to a desert island, but there's a #*&@! resort with WIFI there now.

How about the pilot in Canada that ran his Cesna into the ground while texting, he had been on his cell phone one half hour during his FINAL flight. Self correcting problem for him.

The answer?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghJrPBJrGVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree.

Yesterday the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, was photographed reading a paper as traffic was travelling at 100-120 km/hr. When asked about it he replied that it didn't affect his driving. This is the same mayor who recently passed a street car with its doors open taking on and letting off passengers. He has been photographed talking on his cell while driving in the city. Some leadership!!!!

The Toronto Police have asked him to hire a driver.

It's really sad that you would hang Robert Ford on these few minor infractions.

Back in 1982, I'm in Los Angeles on my Honda 750A riding down the 101. For those of you who may not know, this road is I believe four lanes each way and in some places it might be six. At least in my mind there were six lanes. Heres comes a fellow in a jaguar in the lane to the right of me. He is driving, holding a dinner plate of pancakes and eating them WITH a fork! He zips right past me.

A few miles more down the road, I pass him - he has slowed down due to something interfering with his ability to drive at a speed consistant with others on the highway. What is it? He is shaving with an electric razor and is looking at himself in the mirror as he shaves. Pancakes and plate are no longer anywhere to be seen. I remember thinking if he would next be brushing his teeth.

Now this is in 1982. No cell phones, ipads, or any other electronic communication equipment we seem to think is necessary to use while driving these days.

Distracted drivers have been around for a long time. There are just more of the morons now.

Where is the outrage? Seriously...this is such patently reckless and moronic behavior that one would expect the "public" to demand action. But "the public" is more likely to be moved to act if their favorite reality show gets cancelled.

I try not to let things get to me, but watching someone recklessly disregard the lives of others is something that's hard to let go without remarking on it. There was a young kid killed a couple of weeks ago here...riding his bike, and hit by a woman in an SUV - guess what?...texting. And they call it "inattentive driving". She gets a fine...maybe...the kid gets no more life.

Makes me want to move to a desert island, but there's a #*&@! resort with WIFI there now.

In British Columbia, Canada, if you're caught with a cell phone, or iPod or any device your hands while driving it's an immediate fine. Fines are not cheap in British Columbia I picked up a nice little $191 speeding ticket the other day (in my car not my bike).

I hope you're not serious...?

No I'm not serious.

Rob Ford sticks his foot in his mouth almost every day, he's chased reporters off adjacent property, called 911 on Marg Delahunty, and publicly announced he'd never heard of one of Canada's most famous authors during a dust-up about closing public libraries.

The guy is a total ass who got voted into office by accidently splitting the vote between the 2 real candidates.

I suspect people are following him around the way they did to Britney Spears et al.

Hopefully, he'll punch a cop when he gets a ticket for texting while driving and we can move on. Nothing is too surprising.

I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?

Good for you for taking the time to report it. Your frustration is certainly understandable but yes I believe that is how law enforcement works everywhere and if you think about it I'm pretty certain that's the way you and the rest of us want it to work. Your call to the state police should be as a heads up to them. Try to recall as much as you can about the time, the place, and the vehicle. Hey, you never know.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was once sideswiped by a motorist who admitted out loud that it her fault in the presence of the responding police officer. I wtnessed this first hand as the accident happened a block from my place of employment. I told the officer he shoulf ticket her for failing to yield the right of way. He said he couln'd because he didn't see it. It didn't matter that she was professing her guilt! My buddy walked away unhurt and the bike only had a few scratches.

A guy passed me this Spring on a Victory bike that had cruise control. He was doing 80 while texting on his bike. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A guy passed me this Spring on a Victory bike that had cruise control. He was doing 80 while texting on his bike. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Morons are not limited to driving four wheelers, or 18 wheelers. They are among us too.

Back