• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

John Charles Ryan R.I.P.

Arrangements

I believe this came off the LD Rider list - it was asked to pass it along to anyone who might be interested or a friend of John:

--------------
From John's family:

Viewing is on Thursday 10/17 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Leber Funeral Home
15 Furnace Road
Chester, NJ

Funeral is on Friday 10/18 at 11:00 AM
St. Luke's Parish
265 West Mill Road
Long Valley, NJ

In lieu of flowers the family is requesting donations be sent to:

Camp Nejeda
910 Saddleback Road
Stillwater, NJ 07875

Family has indicated the church has sufficient room to accommodate any riders that wish to attend.

Chris Sakala
IBA and other stuff

Thanks to Kevin for passing on a reporter's number - http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/war...arren_county_motorc.html#incart_river_default

It's wonderful to see a respectful article about a motorcyclist, even if the reason for the article is awful. If you have a moment, you might write the editor and the author and thank them:

Editor: "Bresswein, Kurt" <kbresswein@Express-Times.com>
Author: "Bultman, Matthew" <mbultman@Express-Times.com>

Yes, a nice article for sure.
jason

Thanks to Kevin for passing on a reporter's number - http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/war...arren_county_motorc.html#incart_river_default

It's wonderful to see a respectful article about a motorcyclist, even if the reason for the article is awful. If you have a moment, you might write the editor and the author and thank them:

Editor: "Bresswein, Kurt" <kbresswein@Express-Times.com>
Author: "Bultman, Matthew" <mbultman@Express-Times.com>

Thanks Don for the suggestion.

Done.

Stunned

I only met and spoke with John once, at the NYC Cycle Show / Big GIG 4 in January 2010. Saw him several other times, and he always had a smile on his face and would speak with anyone who approached him. A very gracious gentleman, and positive image of a motorcyclist.

RIP John, you will be missed.

The loss of a man I never knew

This thread and it's links move me. I have checked it for updates all weekend. I am deeply saddened by the loss of a fellow rider. My deepest condolences and sincere sympathy for the family. May your sorrow be lifted soon and your burden be light.

John Charles Ryan Obituary

John Charles Ryan
Obituary

John Charles Ryan, 53, of Long Valley, N.J., passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. A celebration of John's life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, at the William J. Leber Funeral Home, 15 Furnace Rd. (corner of Rt. 206), Chester, N.J., (908) 879-3090. An 11 a.m. Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 18, at St. Luke Parish in Long Valley. The interment will be private. For online condolences or more information, visit www.williamjleberfh.com. John was born on June 24, 1960, in Jersey City, N.J. He had lived in Long Valley for the past nine years and was previously of Morris Plains, N.J. John was an avid motorcyclist. He held numerous world records for endurance riding. John was a member of the BMW Skylands Club, the New York BMW Riders Club, the New Jersey BMW Shore Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. He also volunteered at Camp Nejeda to help children with juvenile diabetes. John is survived by his mother and father, Janet and John Ryan; his siblings, Susan and her husband, David Drillock, Kenneth and his wife, Barbara Ryan, Anita M. Ryan, Laurie and her husband, Anthony Pietropollo, and Nicole and her husband, Daniel Morin; his nieces and nephews, Justin, Melanie and Trevor Ryan, Michael, Alexander and Christopher Pietropollo, and Brooks and Samaya Morin, and many other loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, 910 Saddleback Rd., Stillwater Township, N.J. 07860.
Published in Star-Ledger on Oct. 15, 2013
- See more at: http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/star...pid=167550667&fhid=17166#sthash.fHTkI0aB.dpuf

While I did not know John, I know others who did. My condolences to his friends and family.

Lifted from ADVrider. Reportedly there were many bikes at his service.

Attachments

• null_zps84425dc5.jpg
    null_zps84425dc5.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I would think there were more than that, but I didn't count them. The crowds at the calling hours were unbelieveable. It took almost 80 minutes to get to where the family was greeting people. Very sad occasion but also very heartwarming responses from everyone.

john_ryan_3.jpg

I would have guessed more than 100 bikes. Here is a photo of part of the parking lot - there was another entire lane of parking filled with bikes, and this was taken fairly early. The service was a wonderful celebration of John's life and the way he touched so many people. Muriel, saw you, meant to say hello - but you know what it was like there.

BTW - - another side of John: http://www.app.com/article/20131018...-bouncer-dies-motorcycle-crash?nclick_check=1

Memorial Donation

For anyone interested - John's family asked in lieu of flowers or other remembrances - that people please make a donation to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, a camp for children with diabetes. John was active in supporting the camp and it would be a fitting remembrance - helping children suffering with the disease to live life and fulfil their dreams. It can be done quickly and easily on line at: http://www.campnejeda.org/site/PageServer?pagename=campnejeda_homepage

Thanks for considering doing this - I know John would have approved.

For anyone interested - John's family asked in lieu of flowers or other remembrances - that people please make a donation to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, a camp for children with diabetes. John was active in supporting the camp and it would be a fitting remembrance - helping children suffering with the disease to live life and fulfil their dreams. It can be done quickly and easily on line at: http://www.campnejeda.org/site/PageServer?pagename=campnejeda_homepage

Thanks for considering doing this - I know John would have approved.

IN!

Thanks for the link and the reminder :thumb

investigation

Has there been any information released about the investigation into this accident?

Was the driver of the car charged with any crime? Speeding, rear ending motorcyclist?

I lost a buddy to a left turning kid hurrying to work a couple years back was very upset when no charges were pressed!

jason

Has there been any information released about the investigation into this accident?

Was the driver of the car charged with any crime? Speeding, rear ending motorcyclist?

I lost a buddy to a left turning kid hurrying to work a couple years back was very upset when no charges were pressed!

jason

There's an investigation but I do not know the results.

It's difficult to accept that John would have swerved for no reason. The conditions were not adverse. And at the hospital he was blood sugar was not abnormal (he was diabetic).

It appears that the occupants of the Mustang were two teenage girls. They were never identified
In news reports. Why? Aren't drivers typically identified in an accident?

............... Why? Aren't drivers typically identified in an accident?

Not if they know somebody, plus as a motorcyclist we are ALL second class citizens in the eyes of many. Within 10 miles of my home there was a 21 year old killed when a 55 year old, turned left in front of him, but NO ticket was issued, it happens at least 3-4 time a year in WNY, and the drivers NEVER get tickets. If you are on 2 wheels you are fair game it seems.

Back