• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Clutch pushrod w/felt install

bmwjean

BMWJean
Hey Airhead knowledge base:

Just installed a new felt on the clutch push rod for my 78 R100S.

Rubbed a bunch of grease into the felt, wrapped it around the rod tightly and inserted it ,starting it from the front side of the splined input shaft. (Sno Bum has written it's easier to install this way.)

The rod went in until about a quarter of it was left poking out of the input shaft and met with some resistance where the felt was about to start engaging with the sealing surface.

I wasn't able to push it in the remaining distance by hand, so I used a plastic tipped hammer and gave the rod a light tap.

This seemed to work and the end of the rod is now flush with the end of the input shaft. I then tried pushing the shaft from the back side of the transmission using my thumb and was able to get the rod to extend out of the input shaft by about 1/4". (The end of the tapered part of the rod is flush with the input shaft...if that makes any sense.)

My question is, before I continue installing the throwout assembly, is there any way of testing to know if the felt is properly in place?

How far does the push rod normally extend from the input shaft to engage the clutch spring? Is there any way to test this whole assembly before installing the transmission?
:scratch

Hey Airhead knowledge base:

Just installed a new felt on the clutch push rod for my 78 R100S.

Rubbed a bunch of grease into the felt, wrapped it around the rod tightly and inserted it ,starting it from the front side of the splined input shaft. (Sno Bum has written it's easier to install this way.)

The rod went in until about a quarter of it was left poking out of the input shaft and met with some resistance where the felt was about to start engaging with the sealing surface.

I wasn't able to push it in the remaining distance by hand, so I used a plastic tipped hammer and gave the rod a light tap.

This seemed to work and the end of the rod is now flush with the end of the input shaft. I then tried pushing the shaft from the back side of the transmission using my thumb and was able to get the rod to extend out of the input shaft by about 1/4". (The end of the tapered part of the rod is flush with the input shaft...if that makes any sense.)

My question is, before I continue installing the throwout assembly, is there any way of testing to know if the felt is properly in place?

How far does the push rod normally extend from the input shaft to engage the clutch spring? Is there any way to test this whole assembly before installing the transmission?
:scratch

I just went thru this process last week on my R60/5 - pushrod went in from the front. Was advised to apply a small amount of Honda Moly on the tip of the clutch pushrod that comes into contact with the pressure plate. Packed the parts closed to the clutch lever with grease. Just referred to the Haynes & Clymer manuals (never had done this job before). Didn't test until after installing the transmission, attaching clutch cable and actuating clutch lever, while tranny in gear to see if I could rotate the transmission output flange that attaches to the driveshaft.

Back