• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... Redmond was just as hot... :hungover

Seattle area on the other hand... :ha

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 6.09.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 6.09.46 PM.png
    106 KB · Views: 279
If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

HA! That's the number one excuse at any fishing resort and ski resort!
Ya shoulda been here last week.

But guess what. They ain't and it's still hotter-n-H*ll...

Got any 'ice' to chill that whine?

I pre registered as well, and decided not to go because of the heat. I'm not blaming the MOA, I'm blaming my self. I know people who have decided to go, I just didnt see much comfort value this time.

However, I did go to Johnson City. Had a blast.

Hit and miss....movin on.

You know, It amazes me that people are actually complaining about the weather in Bloomsburg..Shure it is hot here, But look at what our servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan are going through...and they are wearing body armor and humping who knows how many pounds of gear..Could the weather be nicer here?..Shure it could, But those guys would trade places with you in a heartbeat..So when you remember that, It is a lot easier to bear.. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/40650.html

You know, It amazes me that people are actually complaining about the weather in Bloomsburg..Shure it is hot here, But look at what our servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan are going through...and they are wearing body armor and humping who knows how many pounds of gear..Could the weather be nicer here?..Shure it could, But those guys would trade places with you in a heartbeat..So when you remember that, It is a lot easier to bear.. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/40650.html

What!!! I really think this is one lame statement. In the first place the guy in Iraq never got drafted as in nobody forced anybody to go to Iraq. Also, I bet I'm at least twice the age of the average serviceman in Iraq. I got no sympathy for anybody that ends up in Iraq. What I think is tragic is that so many died and for what? Oh jeez, I might be getting political here and that is a big no no but you started it.

Well... Redmond was just as hot... :hungover

Seattle area on the other hand... :ha

Tell the rest of the story. The humidity in Redmond is extremely low and the night time temps were in the forties and high thirties. No comparison to Bloomburg, sheesh....

Lame?..You drive a vehicle with no roof, windows and very little weather protection and you complain about the weather? And as for those servicemen, It is because of them that you have the freedom to whine about the weather!!:violin

Whine?

HA! That's the number one excuse at any fishing resort and ski resort!
Ya shoulda been here last week.

But guess what. They ain't and it's still hotter-n-H*ll...

Got any 'ice' to chill that whine?

Where did you see a whine?

Unlike you whiny boys, I am here and having a blast.

Yesterday, I toured The Yuengling Brewery, the dead town of Centralia, a windmill farm and the roads along some of the prettiest streams you will ever see. There is a great swimming hole next to the rally site in the river; I plan on getting some beer drinking and cool swimming in today.

My trip from the island was great. I stretched it to 790 miles by going West to the Blue Ridge and running some incredible roads all the way up.

Not many of them are over age 65, with a pacemaker. Next time I get too hot or cold, I'll conjure up a war zone with a more extreme weather...that will do the trick. Thanks for the advise, Dr __________ ?

I was working yesterday afternoon when a friend called from the rally site for some good ribbing, telling me how hot it was there. Well where I was it was 96 degrees with a heat index of 104. Hard hat, safety vest etc. I would trade places in a heart beat. Well, time to get to work, it will be even hotter today. Enjoy the rally you lucky dogs. stay cool.:wave

What are you talking about????
My son is an active service member who did couple tours in Iraq. Think twice before you post something like this. A motorcycle rally is a place to have fun not a war ground.
How can you compare the two???

Tell the rest of the story. The humidity in Redmond is extremely low and the night time temps were in the forties and high thirties. No comparison to Bloomburg, sheesh....

You can never compare West Coat weather to East Coast, unless you have never been there. Actually it's the dew point what makes the difference not the humidity.

Truer Words Were Never Spoken, Doubleplay! Words of Wisdom, Thank You Very Much, Dp!

All I know is no more advance purchase of tickets for anything for me. It's a waste.

+1, Gunny! I attended my 1st BMW MOA International Rally in 1980 at the Prineville Fairgrounds in Oregon. Since then I've attended most of the following rallies and I always purchased my tickets in advance. I rode out to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia from my Phoenix, AZ home instead of attending this Bloomsburg Rally, but I'd normally have preregistered for an MOA event. I fully agree with you though, no more preregistering!

Motodan: I liked and appreciated your comment below; I hope MOA addresses their policy of not having Spring and Fall Rallies: Because it is driving away we older Beemers.

I spent the years 1968 thru 1974 in the 5/32nd Artillery Battalion, US Army - Sergeant Don Stanley. But I enlisted, and I knew going in it was going to be rough and tough.

Now I'm a 62 year old Veteran with a bad heart who is not going to volunteer for a hot riding mission in the middle of Summer. I'm going to follow the lead of Doubleplay!

I simply will not buy MOA Rally tickets in advance, I will just see what the weather does!

Perhaps then lack of pre-sales will force MOA to look realistically at Spring & Fall Rallies.

"Not many of them are over age 65, with a pacemaker. Next time I get too hot or cold, I'll conjure up a war zone with a more extreme weather...that will do the trick. Thanks for the advise, Dr __________ ?"

Lame?..You drive a vehicle with no roof, windows and very little weather protection and you complain about the weather? And as for those servicemen, It is because of them that you have the freedom to whine about the weather!!:violin

Yes it's lame to compare a motorcycle rally to a war ground.
BTW my son is an active duty USMC officer who did couple tours in Iraq.
They are all volunteers and getting paid for what they do. My hat is off to every service member but we're doing this for fun. You can't compare.

Many of us had the honor of serving when we were younger. Many of us are proud parents of young men and women currently serving. Lecturing us about sacrifice is utterly lame.

Pete
CWO2, 9th Marines

Many of us had the honor of serving when we were younger. Many of us are proud parents of young men and women currently serving. Lecturing us about sacrifice is utterly lame.

Pete
CWO2, 9th Marines

+1

Tom

i know what it would take for the MOA board to seriously consider changing the month the rally is held, some of the more influential members to make the suggestion to hold the rally at a different time of the year. when a peon like me makes the suggestion i am sure it falls on deaf ears, but let a member who carries more clout then me make the same suggestion and i bet it will be given serious consideration. although we all pay the same amount for our membership it is just a fact of life that some voices carry more weight then others.

While I readily see how you can come to your conclusion I respectfully disagree with your premise.

The association is built on peons. The difference in us is the willingness to take on a task become committee members and follow it through.

The proposals have been aired for some time and based on past responses form BOD and various peon members working on the various related committees involved in putting the rally together leads me to believe they have looked, considered it and have decided against it.

I see merit in the idea. I believe it will take a group of members independently looking at the issue and coming up with a workable plan that meets the rally requirements and overcomes the perceived obstacles to moving the event to another time of year. An independent group is needed because the effort demanded to put on the rally in its current form and time takes all their effort and time. While adding the voices of people that you consider to be more influential members will undoubtedly help the cause there are issues that need to be addressed. In no special order these include but are not limited to:

Identifying locations that meet the rally requirements which are available at that time of year.

Address the issues around holding one of the quarterly BOD meetings at the rally.

Recruitment of enough chairs and volunteers to plan organize and run the rally at a time of year other than 'normal summer vacation' time of year.

Finding vendors willing to show at the rally at a time of year other than their normal show season.

Camp Gears

A viable business plan that addresses:
- Meeting the costs of holding the event,
- Turns enough of a profit to meet the budgetary needs of the association,
- Deals potential revenue/membership impacts of changing the time due to the very strong link with the rally and membership recruitment/renewal.

The list can go on. My membership number is 36909. I do agree there are very visible members that would help move the issue along; however, they are 'visible' and 'influential' because they saw issues and followed through with actions. It can take a very long time and a great deal of effort but I doubt it will happen until membership peons, BOD peons and committee peons work through the idea independent of the running of the rally as is.

OK. Let's look at the bright side. It could be pouring rain for days in a row with low temps as it was pretty much all spring here in NEPA. Yeah it's hot now but it's also pretty clear. Get out and enjoy some rides!

A bit of flexibility...

Having a rally in spring or fall think about the way to get there. There's a risk in weather if you have to go through the rockies let's say in early May or late September.

Maybe the date for the rally should be adjusted to the location? If it is in the deep south maybe more springish or fallish. If way up north then in mid summer.

With an announcement of the rally side/date 8-9 months in advance it may allow everyone to make plans.

/Guenther

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back