• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What I built for my bike

ANDYVH

Since our ranks are full of craftsmen, designers, engineers, artists, fabricators, handymen, etc, I thought a "what I built for my bike" post could be really interesting and inspirational. Sometimes all it takes is the idea, and belief it could be done, to make something cool or really useful for your ride. Better yet if you did it yourself!

On my 94 RS, I have been evolving it through the 18 years its been with me, as a way to make it fresh, new or more interesting each year. Perhaps I'm too cheap, or I really like the bike more as I tweak it to my needs/likes/wants. Here's my list for my 9r R1100RS:
1. Handlebar; I fabbed mine from a handlebar I cut up/welded, off on a Kawasaki CR305, made in the style of a K75S handlebar. I used mounts from a Suzuki GZ250.
2. Light bar; for the driving lights. I fabbed mine from aluminum bar stock. It mounts to the front underside/lip of the fairing, just below the oil cooler.
3. Muffler; when the outlet tube cracked through at the back of the muffler, I decided what the heck, and cut the canister off to see what's inside. I designed my own free-flowing baffle system and had it TIG welded back together. Been on there now for 40k miles. Better sound, little lighter, not obnoxious at all.
Seat; I just completed a double-bucket seat built up with high grade foam un top of the stock seat pan/foam. I did have a pro shop make the seat cover though.
4. Rear rack; I just completed an aluminum rear rack plate for the Givi trunk I installed. I didn't like the way the Givi mount plate looked so "added on", on top of the stock tail rack, and it flexed too much for my tastes. So I designed my own rack , using the stock side rails and rear mounts.

Last edited:
Since our ranks are full of craftsmen, designers, engineers, artists, fabricators, handymen, etc, I thought a "what I built for my bike" post could be really interesting and inspirational. Sometimes all it takes is the idea, and belief it could be done, to make something cool or really useful for your ride. Better yet if you did it yourself!

On my 94 RS, I have been evolving it through the 18 years its been with me, as a way to make it fresh, new or more interesting each year. Perhaps I'm too cheap, or I really like the bike more as I tweak it to my needs/likes/wants. Here's my list for my 9r R1100RS:
1. Handlebar; I fabbed mine from a handlebar I cut up/welded, off on a Kawasaki CR305, made in the style of a K75S handlebar. I used mounts from a Suzuki GZ250.
2. Light bar; for the driving lights. I fabbed mine from aluminum bar stock. It mounts to the front underside/lip of the fairing, just below the oil cooler.
3. Muffler; when the outlet tube cracked through at the back of the muffler, I decided what the heck, and cut the canister off to see what's inside. I designed my own free-flowing baffle system and had it TIG welded back together. Been on there now for 40k miles. Better sound, little lighter, not obnoxious at all.
Seat; I just completed a double-bucket seat built up with high grade foam un top of the stock seat pan/foam. I did have a pro shop make the seat cover though.
4. Rear rack; I just completed an aluminum rear rack plate for the Givi trunk I installed. I didn't like the way the Givi mount plate looked so "added on", on top of the stock tail rack, and it flexed too much for my tastes. So I designed my own rack , using the stock side rails and rear mounts.

:scratch THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PHOTOS !!! :nono :1drink

My mistake! Here is the pic of the handlebar, light bar and seat. Rack pic to follow tomorrow after I complete it tonight. The lights have also changed to Hella Optilux Brite Violet fog lights. The mirrors are off a GSXR600, mounted through the fairing with support brackets I fabbed up to support the mirrors directly to the fairing bracket. The mirrors, light bar and handlebar have been on the bike since 07. The seat just since this month and the tail rack as of this week. Not much to see of the muffler, since it looks stock from the outside. But in the Oilheads section I posted a custom exhaust thread.

With some careful cable and hose rerouting, I was able to use all the stock RS cables and hoses to the relocated handlebar. The seating position now is much closer to a RT with a slight more forward lean. No more numb left fingers/hand within 20 miles since I changed to the more upright handlebar. I should note though, it is a narrow handlebar kind of like the style on the K75S. The handlebar mounts are direct mounted to the top plate, no rubber isolators involved, and I never really feel any tingling. I drilled the top plate from the top down after locating the centerpoints of the old rubber mounts. The fairing mounted mirrors are MUCH more clear than the stock round mirrors on the RS.

Attachments

• RS updates.jpg
    RS updates.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited:
So many things I've made for various bikes I currently own and owned in the past.

One of my more recent projects was a rotating RAM moun adapter for my new Garmin Montana to take advantage of it's ability to rotate the display on the screen. Mostly done on my recently aquired metal lathe. :thumb

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b63qJAUDB6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't built anything for my bike (83 R100RS) yet but I'd REALLY like to see some DIY mirror extensions.

Nice work, Andy. I like the narrowness of your bars.

On my '96 RS (1997-2009), I added barbacks and GS footplates to lower the pegs. Lost a little ground clearance, but my hips and knees were really happy. Raising the bars and lowering the pegs rotated the rider's position up a bit, and I always described it just as you did here: "like an RT but more leaned over." It was perfect for me, limited only by my 600-mile tolerance for the stock seat.

I love that seat.....looks great!

Just to let you know, I have your bikes brother:thumb

rs1.jpg

A fine brother to my bike you have there too! I had a similar Corbin Rumbleseat on my 94. I bought my 94 from the 1st owner, who had bought the bike new and put 3,000 miles on it. But he had 10 BMWs, was 6'-4" and the RS really didn't fit him, so he sold it to me. At first the color was not my favorite, but it grew on me and is actually one of the more rare BMW colors for the RS.

But the Corbin seat had been built for him, as he had the front section of the seat made 2" longer than normal. As such, the rear seat section, especially with the flip up backrest, was too short for my gal to be comfortable. So I decided to build my own seat design starting with a stock RS seat set I bought on the Flea Market.

I'll probably sell the Corbin Rumbleseat set now as I don't plan to use it anymore.

Cup Holder/MP3 and GPS Mount

I fashioned a cup holder out of an ABS 3" x 2" plumbing adapter and mounted it via custom handlebar risers. The little shelf with the velcro holds my MP3 player or garage door opener. I also made the mount for the GPS without drilling any holes in the dash. Everything is mounted in a way that does not obscure any gauges or lights on the dash.

Attachments

• Cup Holder.jpg
    Cup Holder.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 837
I've built a few things

Conspicuity lights mounted on head guards:
Details here.

Extra LED brake lights
Details here.

Low cost GPS mount:
Details here.

Self cancelling turn signals:
Most of these devices are simply timers which time out at lights or stay on too long on the highway. Mine counts front wheel revolutions so never times out at a light and stays on for about 7 flashes on the highway.
Installation is tricky so I never posted this one.
Here's a picture of the disc mounted magnet and the reed switch hanging off the speedo cable. A bit ugly but well sealed and trouble free for 3 seasons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31927430@N06/7639039130/http://www.flickr.com/people/31927430@N06/

Illuminated gear indicator:
The BMW is the only bike I've owned with a gear indicator and I really like it but find the RID display too difficult to read at a glance. This display is mounted where my ABS lights were. (Non ABS bike)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31927430@N06/3341351662/ http://www.flickr.com/people/31927430@N06/

Stebel horn delay:
This was written up in the February 2010 ON. Some guy in the UK is marketing this idea, I hope he thought of it on his own.
Screaming Banshee. Nice touch with the name!

Mirror extensions:
No, I have no need for those. I've been thinking about the problem though and here's what I'd do. I'd cut the stem in the middle, tap both ends 1/4-20 and make the extension from 1/4-20 threaded rod. Then I'd add a tube around that to match the original diameter. Loctite all the threaded connections and paint it black. I'd make a jig to keep the drill/tap centered and true. I have a lathe but I bet it could all be done with a drill press.

Sometimes all it takes is the idea, and belief it could be done, to make something cool or really useful for your ride. Better yet if you did it yourself!

Besides being fun to make things, quality-wise I'm usually not too impressed with what the market has to offer.

So I made my own custom GiVi mount out of stainless steel. Once it was glass beaded, it had the same finish as my GSA...
154165291_2vLvg-M.jpg

154174784_yC2AB-M.jpg

I use RAM products to mount my GPS and digital camera. I just couldn't handle the look of a muffler clamp holding my RAM mount onto my handlebars, so I came up with this for my GSA...
148883143_aJLpw-M-1.jpg

148883087_juvRT-M-1.jpg

393426174_VBz3U-M.jpg

Long battery life is a matter of monitoring battery voltage. I made this voltmeter from parts. Its not waterproof but this one lasted about 5 years till the elements got the better of it. The other one is in the Porsche Carrera and going strong where it is nice and dry...
510948599_HBmdP-M.jpg

The stone/mud guard I made out of stainless steel sheet for my GSA...
148699758_gxRgp-M.jpg

3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock...
393360218_wchtp-M-1.jpg

The fuse block holder I made for my GSA. It mounts a Blue Sea 5025 fuse block...
185607288_kcTrh-M.jpg

185615859_f4oJF-M.jpg

I liked the idea of the battery boosting lug that I had on my 2004 GSA and installed one on my 2003 GSA as well (BMW parts used)...
461591111_2ohM2-M-1.jpg

More info/how-to on the above by going to my SmugMug site below.

This is why I started this thread, lots of interesting goodies. What I really enjoy too is that most often the custom home made "farkles" are better made and designed than the factory products.

Keep it going!

Besides being fun to make things, quality-wise I'm usually not too impressed with what the market has to offer.

So I made my own custom GiVi mount out of stainless steel. Once it was glass beaded, it had the same finish as my GSA...
154165291_2vLvg-M.jpg

154174784_yC2AB-M.jpg

I use RAM products to mount my GPS and digital camera. I just couldn't handle the look of a muffler clamp holding my RAM mount onto my handlebars, so I came up with this for my GSA...
148883143_aJLpw-M-1.jpg

148883087_juvRT-M-1.jpg

393426174_VBz3U-M.jpg

Long battery life is a matter of monitoring battery voltage. I made this voltmeter from parts. Its not waterproof but this one lasted about 5 years till the elements got the better of it. The other one is in the Porsche Carrera and going strong where it is nice and dry...
510948599_HBmdP-M.jpg

148699758_gxRgp-M.jpg

3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock...
393360218_wchtp-M-1.jpg

The fuse block holder I made for my GSA. It mounts a Blue Sea 5025 fuse block...
185607288_kcTrh-M.jpg

185615859_f4oJF-M.jpg

I liked the idea of the battery boosting lug that I had on my 2004 GSA and installed one on my 2003 GSA as well (BMW parts used)...
461591111_2ohM2-M-1.jpg

More info/how-to on the above by going to my SmugMug site below.

Very nice work on all.

Regarding the Givi plate, how did you make the rear latch piece? [If] you care to share?

Ron

Very nice work on all.

Regarding the Givi plate, how did you make the rear latch piece? [If] you care to share?

Ron

The two mushrooms and wedge are available from GiVi.

The plate is my own design and made with a hacksaw, file and lots of time and effort.

The rubber grommets are side cover grommets used on the GSA. They were perfectly sized for the purpose.

Andy, can you send some pics of your handlebar mods? I have a 96 R1100RS and thinking about changes. My wrists are beginning to suffer as I age faster than the bike!

148699758_gxRgp-M.jpg

Always a pleasure and inspiration to look at your farkles GlobalRider.

I have NEVER seen the lower bits of a boxer look that clean. Not even a new one.

If one looks closely though, one can see that the bike has been run. There is some ever so slight blueing visible on the header pipe.

The two mushrooms and wedge are available from GiVi.

The plate is my own design and made with a hacksaw, file and lots of time and effort.

The rubber grommets are side cover grommets used on the GSA. They were perfectly sized for the purpose.

Thanks, what holds the wedge on ? is it a bolt not seen ?

Ron

Always a pleasure and inspiration to look at your farkles GlobalRider.

I have NEVER seen the lower bits of a boxer look that clean. Not even a new one.

If one looks closely though, one can see that the bike has been run. There is some ever so slight blueing visible on the header pipe.

Thanks Mike.

That GSA isn't nearly as clean anymore since it is now being used for my Euro tours for up to six weeks at a time, so I only have so much time set aside for cleaning. But it is maintained 100%.

You ought to see the underside of my 1995 Porsche Carrera. Yeah, nuts!

BTW Mike, that stone/mud guard is quite sand-blasted now, but my engine still looks new.

Back