• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

Great to see all these posts. I'm 55 and taking a new job in San Diego thinking that this is my last gig. I'm hoping it's the jackpot and will be able to finish putting my two kids through college and get the other one married. Very proud of my kids and happy my wife and I will be empty nesters for the first time. Going to enjoy things and have some fun.

Pre retirement can be very nerve-wracking. Hope we make it to the promised land!:dunno

Let the kids take care of themselves, and you start stock plying for the great life of retirement. Make sure every thing is payed for and a new bike in the garage.

Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be.

IT IS A LOT BETTER, EVEN WHEN YOU BODY KEEPS FIGHTING INTO YOU RIDING TIME.

Enjoy it. 13 years an counting.

Retirement!!!!

I added another exclamation point to the title. I cannot believe how nice retirement is, and it keeps getting better.

Riding/motorcycles are my 1st hobby and I left on a months ride 2 days after my last day at work. Now, on short or long trips, when the front wheel points toward home there is no more "gotta go back to work" ! Big difference.

My former boss said "You'll be back". Now I send him postcards from everywhere regularly and tell him about my days biggest decisions. Stuff like "should I wear socks today?" Rode to Labrador last year and didn't wear socks the whole trip.

In reality, I only have 20 years +- of riding left and I have a lot of riding to do and places to go. Work would really get in the way now. I am truly very fortunate to be able to retire and feel like Gomer Pile when I say "Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya"

I hope my last ride is on two wheels, up the sidewalk to the hospital where I was born, at which time I will fall over (one more time) dead, without putting the side stand down.
Yeah for retirement !!!!
Charlie

I added another exclamation point to the title. I cannot believe how nice retirement is, and it keeps getting better.

Riding/motorcycles are my 1st hobby and I left on a months ride 2 days after my last day at work. Now, on short or long trips, when the front wheel points toward home there is no more "gotta go back to work" ! Big difference.

My former boss said "You'll be back". Now I send him postcards from everywhere regularly and tell him about my days biggest decisions. Stuff like "should I wear socks today?" Rode to Labrador last year and didn't wear socks the whole trip.

In reality, I only have 20 years +- of riding left and I have a lot of riding to do and places to go. Work would really get in the way now. I am truly very fortunate to be able to retire and feel like Gomer Pile when I say "Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya"

I hope my last ride is on two wheels, up the sidewalk to the hospital where I was born, at which time I will fall over (one more time) dead, without putting the side stand down.
Yeah for retirement !!!!
Charlie
Happy Happy Happy.

Coming up on 3 years since I retired. I remember my Dad telling me when he retired "I don't know how I had time to work". I now know what he was talking about.
I LOVE being retired. My wife is still working, her choice, but she works at a collage and has big blocks of time off. June, July, and August. From Thanksgiving to the second week in January and Spring Break. Makes it nice for us to do things together AND it gives me plenty of time for myself.:)

I highly recommend retirement!

Nearly three years for us as well. Can't believe they keep paying me to do whatever I want. I fear the pension system so many of us are benefiting from will not be there for our kids.

Yeah for retirement !!!!
Charlie
That's a "weird way to die". Also troublesome for the hospital folks? ;) Now that almost every adult male in the USA has Sleep Apnea (so it seems?) I told my wife that the classic way to die having been to die "peacefully in your sleep" may be coming your way?:lurk
Retirement-it's all about ones health. Moolah is good but health is THE THING. Wow, I gotta get to work...

Nearly three years for us as well. Can't believe they keep paying me to do whatever I want. I fear the pension system so many of us are benefiting from will not be there for our kids.

I've been retired 11+ years now that started when I was 55. I haven't regretted it for a second. There are many more important things in the world than money. I wouldn't trade the time I have been able to spend with my wife, kids and grandchildren for any amount of money in the world. The may thousands of miles I have been able to ride cannot be given a value. When really good riding roads are at the end of your driveway and you have 3 or 4 fellow old codgers that will go anytime you want to ride, life is good.

Let the kids take care of themselves, and you start stock plying for the great life of retirement. Make sure every thing is payed for and a new bike in the garage.

In the 60 and 70's you could easily say............let the kids take care of themselves. A part-time job would pay for a degree at a public college. That isn't the case today. Tuition costs have inflated faster than health care.

Playing the stock market............may the gods be with you.

Making career changes at 55 with pending financial obligations is scary.

Hard to believe but it's been 10 years since Paul and I retired. Surely the best move we ever made!

Scary. Yes. But oh, so very satisfying.

Voni
sMiling

Hard to believe but it's been 10 years since Paul and I retired. Surely the best move we ever made!

Scary. Yes. But oh, so very satisfying.

Voni
sMiling

Voni,

Have you retired or just found something more interesting to do with your lives?

Jon

Well, they quit paying us to live in Kansas so we don't any more.

But, I think you're right!

Voni
sMiling

Well, they quit paying us to live in Kansas so we don't any more.

But, I think you're right!

Voni
sMiling

I've come to believe that retirement is just another way of saying........I've chosen to stop trying to fulfill the other guy's dream.

I've come to believe that retirement is just another way of saying........I've chosen to stop trying to fulfill the other guy's dream.

I view it as a luxury that the vast majority of the people in the world will never experience; at least not in a manner that could be considered enjoyable and satisfying, and with the freedom to do what one wants.

I view it as a luxury that the vast majority of the people in the world will never experience

Sadly, the same could be said about clean drinking water, safe food and stable gov't/public institutions. However, to my point, retirement can be a polite way for one to part company with an employer. Just consider an officer in the military that has been notified that he or she isn't going to advance in rank. If they have their 20 in, retiring and doing something else seems like a reasonable idea.....

I am on year 5 or maybe 6 :scratch of not reporting to a formal worksite...time gets away from me and that's OK most of the time. Knowing what day it is is not so big of a deal...unless I forget something like taking the trash out:banghead

Still getting paid each month is something I enjoy and am glad it is a solid retirement system. I too believe my children and their kids will not be able to do the same things as I enjoy at my age(57). It seems some folks just do not stay with a company long enough to gain retirement benefits...whether their choice or not.

I have backed off on a lot of Saturday and Sunday riding as it's just crazy in our area with weekend riders. The only drawback of my Monday solo rides is a lot of food stops are closed:violin Yeah, it's rough! But the empty roads sure are sweet.

It seems some folks just do not stay with a company long enough to gain retirement benefits

You can stay as long as you want, or they allow you, but there is only a contribution to a savings account. As such, as long as the new employer makes a similar contribution to your savings account, there is no reason to stay, if a better salary/wage is offered.

........I've chosen to stop trying to fulfill the other guy's dream.
Not being argumentative, more philosophical... I don't remember every considering my work activities as fulfilling anyone's dreams other than my own. Whether I found myself working for 20 years in a butcher shop, or running my own custom office furniture company, or building vehicles in an automotive shop, I've always looked at my labor as a trade off for legal tender that I have used to further "my" dream. Sure beat having to go out hunting everyday for meat, or rooting around in the ground for wild vegetables for subsistence living....:)
It would be a damn shame to spend a whole life time working to fulfill someone else's dream...

Not being argumentative, more philosophical... I don't remember every considering my work activities as fulfilling anyone's dreams other than my own. Whether I found myself working for 20 years in a butcher shop, or running my own custom office furniture company, or building vehicles in an automotive shop, I've always looked at my labor as a trade off for legal tender that I have used to further "my" dream. Sure beat having to go out hunting everyday for meat, or rooting around in the ground for wild vegetables for subsistence living....:)
It would be a damn shame to spend a whole life time working to fulfill someone else's dream...

No argument. When you loose ownership or interest in what you're doing, it's time to move on.

Back