• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning Helmet Air Vents

jogitu

How do you clean out your helmet air vents? On the last couple of rides I have managed to get some rather nasty flying insects up in the vents of my Arai Profile. Q-tips are not quite doing the job. What are your tactics besides the obvious prying on it with a spoon?

Never thought of it!

... but I have a nice compressor in the basement, and it is plumbed to a spigot outside the house. Will attach the air blower w/trigger thingy and see what happens.

Thanks!

... but I have a nice compressor in the basement, and it is plumbed to a spigot outside the house. Will attach the air blower w/trigger thingy and see what happens.

Thanks!

I don't have an air compressor but now I have a reason to buy one. I did think about the compressed air you can buy to clean computer keyboards but that is not as fun. I mean no Lowes or Home Depot is involved in that purchase.

Ooo, a dental pick! Good idea! Maybe I can scrounge one from my dentist next time I'm in the chair. (Lord knows I've financed much of his sailboat.)

I just use a toothpick for bug removal.

Be careful with the top vents on an Arai. They are stuck on with double-sided tape and will lift off*. This would make cleaning a lot easier but then you'll have to use new stickum to replace the scoop. Don't ask how I know.

pete

* Arai says the vents are designed to shear-off in a crash so the helmet doesn't catch on something, with bad results for the person inside.

Scuba shop will have dental picks for sale if you have one near. Use them to pull o-rings off old scuba valves . Gun shows usually have a guy with a table too. Fwiw

Scuba shop will have dental picks for sale if you have one near. Use them to pull o-rings off old scuba valves . Gun shows usually have a guy with a table too. Fwiw

Go to a sears, NAPA, Carquest, etc. ask for an "o" ring or seal puller, same thing.

Gonna be a bad year for bug guts in the midwest this year.

Go for a ride in the rain and the bugs will disappear...maybe to the inside of the helmet, but they do disappear!

Bugs are supposed to be mostly protein:eat

I'd look in your helmet's instruction manual for how to remove the vents. Arai sells replacement vents. So they must be removable. Just be careful.

Cleaning helmet air vents

My dentist gives the old picks away for free. Great for hobbies. She always has a tray of them around...

You could try a long wooden ''Q tip'' that you can buy at Radio Shack, etc. Wet the end with hot water to soften the bug guts.

Back