• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Any Pilots Here?

BTW is saying "constant speed prop" (as I was brought up with) and "variable pitch prop" the same thing? I obviously confused complex with high perf, so i might be messed up on props too.

A constant speed prop accomplishes that feat by being variable pitch. It maintains a constant speed when the power is increased or decreased by varying the pitch of the the blades. So yes, same thing.

...same thing?.../Gilly

Gilly:

With a variable pitch prop you can set the blade pitch from fine to coarse with the propeller control, which has the effect of increasing or decreasing rpm. However, rpm will increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed, respectively.

With a constant speed prop you also adjust blade pitch with the propeller control, which affects rpm, but the rpm does not change with increased or decreased throttle, except at small throttle openings. So it's a "smart" variable pitch prop.

Last edited:
Does This Count?

No auto pilot: Check
Guns: Check
Rockets: Check
Hellfire: Check
Stinger: Check, kinda (took it off a few years ago, the idea that we could shoot down a fixed wing aircraft didn't sit well with someone)

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 97
Flew 1.7 today of evergency procedures with another IP today at Rucker. Maybe I should have limited the flight to 1.2:brow

Airline transport pilot
airplane multiengine land
gulfstream g100/ia1125 astra jet
beechcraft hs125 hawker jet
lockheed l1329 jetstar
north american rockwell n265 sabreliner
cessna c500 citatation
commercial pilot single engine land and sea
19,650 hours, but who's counting

Uh...

You escaped Lock'ees Jetstop...er "star" ALIVE; your surely keep'in count!

Lifeflight Hellycopter Pilot

USMC Aviator (retired) CH-53D & E, U/V H1N, VH-3D
Flew MU-2's for a year.....medical EMS helicopters since 1992...approaching 10K

ATP Rotor & MEL, SPIFR

nice to read about our aviation Beemerphiles

USMC Aviator (retired) CH-53D & E, U/V H1N, VH-3D
Flew MU-2's for a year.....medical EMS helicopters since 1992...approaching 10K

ATP Rotor & MEL, SPIFR

nice to read about our aviation Beemerphiles
What do you fly for LifeFlight? I am with PHI Air Medical......fly those weird french birds.

...those things are real killers...Gilly

I understand that the accident rates have decreased dramatically since the FAA mandated special type specific initial and recurrent training for the MU2Bs.

I have long been fascinated by these machines.

RetPD

Thanks for asking Retired PD!!! Air Methods Baptist Lifeflight program; I'm @ the Pensacola base (Lifeflight 1)..SPIFR EC-135 for years.....just went to EC-130...like our other bases (Mobile, Hattiesburg, & Greenville, AL.

Miss the 135...flew it for 8 years....but times change....no??:D

Giily & Rinty

They're pretty wild...you just can't fly 'em like a gentleman's aircraft.....gotta be on top of things if one of those Garretts burps!!!!! Taught me a lot about MEL flying!!
My favorite airplane ever tho' is still the North American T-28 (~700 hrs).:D

MU2s

Of course my experience is mostly from the 80s when they were killing pretty regularly.

Back