• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

How about a GS Day ride to a swimming hole?

The Opal Creek Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area looks pretty sweet.

Who will be brave enough to go country boy? :ha

OpalCreek.jpg

OpalCreek2.jpg

Have some GS BS points with your dinner

Your receipt for a 2.5 pound perfectly-cooked steak in the middle of nowhere, Oregon will net you a significant cache of GS BS points.

5 extra points for posting a photo here on the forum or on Facebook.

steak_and_potato-XL.jpg

:thumb - you'll find out where when you get your scorebook. Be sure to click on The GS Giant button when you register for the rally!

Last edited:
What are you doing for lunch...

... on July 15th?

There's a lunch meeting here, at Hat Point, Hells Canyon. You bring the lunch... and mucho GS BS points for pics of you and your bike with the Seven Devils in the background. :thumb

There is also excellent camping nearby. Stay here and you'll still have time to make the party in the GS Giants camping area at the rally on Wednesday night.

IMG_1963-XL.jpg

IMG_1978-XL.jpg

Need to Know....

So I love my GS, love to ride it on twisty roads, not so twisty roads, city traffic (really love to lane share with it)....but off roading is a bit more iffy. Rode on a really gravelly dirt road last weekend and about sh*t my pants. Now I was told by a secret source that you guys might have some beginner training at/around the rally and I am looking for more info on this. I am committee chair, so I have to plan my time wisely and was hoping for something mebbe before Thursday......:help

Britta
Vegas, Baby

Skid marks...

Britta - The GS Giant event is all about helping you get started.

There are some free seminars going to be offered by Coach Stroud, but they are on Thursday and Saturday. These are only two hours long (part class, part track) and would really be worth your time.

I know of at least on advanced course for fee being offered, but that is probably more than you want.

There are also going to be some times when the Adventure Track will be open for practice, some on Thursday and Friday, a lot on Saturday... and possibly some night riding.

A schedule of events is in the works, stay tuned here in the coming weeks.

Another idea is to try riding a smaller, lighter bike to get a feel for less than 100% traction. There will be rentals available, as Oregon Dual Sport Rentals and Adventures will be onsite with their fleet. Once you get your dirt legs on one of these bikes, you'll be a lot more comfortable on gravel roads.

Ian

How to Register

I registered for the Salem rally, but didn't check yes to sign up for the GS Giant event. I've now changed my mind. What's the best way to change my rally registration preference (or to sign up to participate)?

California GS/GSA'rs

Anybody needing adventure, rides with me North this year.

Randy,
I just signed up for the GS Giant, I live in Nevada City and am looking to join someone or a small group for the ride to Salem. I am not sure how offroad I want to take my (new to me) GS 1200, but I am generally comfortable with dirt/gravel roads. I am into camping well, but not so much into cooking. I would love to see the rest of the country after the Rally, but I do not think I will be able to get away with that retirement present to myself quite yet.

Dan

Hi Dan;

I am here, been absent a while. We are riding 4 GSs out of Clovis sometime before the rally for Salem. F700GS,F800GS,GSA1200 and KLR650 as a group to most probably Hayfork meeting place. Dates yet to be announced by IAN, GS Giant leader again this year. He is doing his LIONS share as usual for that guy, from afar in Georgia. Me too in past years and still here to promote GS as much as possible:). All the above are family and we are still getting dates in order to leave, as some of the younger folk are stuck at work getting away:(. Stay in touch. WE WILL be sharing much more data soon enough. Look up Hayfork,CA, as its in the works to be N.Cal meeting place for GSGiants coming from South:):):). Dates soon. I am always looking to grow this group. I teach(not for career) offroad skills on GSA1200 and other smaller GSs, family full of'em:). So far my experiences I share with others is FREE, so abuse that if you will. My first GS was 1981 GS800, BMWs first model GS:). Just a tad bit experienced here and I love the spirit of sharing it all. Happy Trails. Randy"Polarbear"

I teach(not for career) offroad skills on GSA1200 and other smaller GSs, family full of'em:).

Dan - Mr. Polarbear is a great mentor. You will do well hanging out with him. :nod

Hayford is in the middle of the Trinity Alps area of Norcal, and the place where people will camp is very friendly to the BMW community. (we can thank the NorCal club for that!)

From there, a 2+ day ride to Salem is planned, with options for routes and camping spots.

One *very* nice spot is already reserved near Medford, OR and there's a spot near Crater Lake that is being worked on.

Stay tuned... and be sure to click the GS Giant Event button as you register for the Rally. That's gonna be your ticket for getting all the info.

:dance

Polarbear and Visian,

Looking forward to playing on some dirt roads. I did sign up for the GS Giant when I registered for the rally. I will wander over toward Hayfork when the time comes. I think I might do a Hwy 49-89-36-3 route with a possible off-route stop in Igo.

One ride option from Hayfork...

... spotted this ride from the "air" (google earth) and it looks fantastic. Seiad Valley Has anyone ridden it?

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2167220/embed" height="800px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I registered for the Salem rally, but didn't check yes to sign up for the GS Giant event. I've now changed my mind. What's the best way to change my rally registration preference (or to sign up to participate)?

I saw your response to another second-thoughter was a pm on how-to. I had to use the phone-in to sign up for the rally and when I went online later, after the bugs were cleared, found that sign-up link blocked to me. I'm coming from Raleigh, NC and would like to participate in the pre-rally cross country. When I follow the rally link looking for an independent sign-up, it leads me back to this thread. Thanks.
Doug

I saw your response to another second-thoughter was a pm on how-to. I had to use the phone-in to sign up for the rally and when I went online later, after the bugs were cleared, found that sign-up link blocked to me. I'm coming from Raleigh, NC and would like to participate in the pre-rally cross country. When I follow the rally link looking for an independent sign-up, it leads me back to this thread. Thanks.
Doug

Doug - please PM me with your email address.

Ian

My data:).

GSA1200 home base for me and a garage full of GSs is in CLOVIS,CA foothills East of town 12 miles. I live right on TOP of byways central:). From here you can ride the road right out of my driveway, without center lines or darn few making this GS foothill heaven. Time sometimes rules for the more direct routes, but at every occasion I get, I avoid the more travelled routes for more fun and adventure. Not always dirt either to find great roads, as this Western Slope of the Sierra's has so many exciting back roads, all the way to single lane paved byways, way less travelled to keep anybody with time to explore, happy for days:). HAYFORK is NCal West of Redding an hour or so. Direct West, you'll see it on Hwy3. One of my kids worked last year, the Hayfork CalFire Station there! You think he knows the backcountry around there, hehe!!! ANY SW or South of me GS'ers can join in or meet in Hayfork for some sharing the camp there one night and even pal up with other like minded riders to Salem. My home base(Clovis East) is open for meeting too; gsarbear@gmail.com or 559-288-2555c. My getaway day is still open, so stay tuned. Some favorites from my home are thru North ForkCA, OakhurstCA and pick up Hwy49 all the way to its terminus at Hwy89, above Lake Tahoe and onward to Mt.Shasta region and Hayfork is West of Redding, remember! This is the famed GOLD COUNTRY discovery route, Hwy49. Very nice. Our famous 4 passes also link to this Hwy49, so take in as many of these as you can. Its time consuming to get all done and some have done'em all in a day!!! Not probable for most enjoying the sights. 2 days much easier to do 4 passes:). TIOGA PASS Hwy120(YosemiteNP), SONORA PASS Hwy108, EBBETTS PASS Hwy4 and CARSON PASS Hwy88. Whether you're riding from out of state or even in state and not seen these passes recently or never have, they are a must see event on your bucket lists!!! All these passes are South of Lake Tahoe, Carson Pass nearly hits the lake with short Hwy89 jog. I am(CLOVIS) also 2 hours from the PACIFIC COAST HWY.1 and this has always been a super favorite of touring bikers. Its hard to do both of the above riding events in same vacation unless you have tons of time to invest. 3-4 days at least gets both in and even 5 days would be nicer to see all of Central Cal...BUT, Hwy 1 is a must see, especially between San Luis Obispo, CA. and Monterey, CA.. and even onward to SF and the Golden Gate Bridge, toll free Northbound only:). That section below Monterey is our "premier" piece of coastal sights in this state for bikers. Of course others exist too further North in the Redwoods NP. All very exciting California. I had better stop for now. Just a few pointers above for tourers from wherever:). Good luck picking your way to Salem, see ya there or en route. Randy'Polarbear"GSA1200

JUST one more!

Ya'll wine folks needing to see wineries as in NAPA Valley? Consider this OPTION, very close to the Pacific Coast Hwy 1 I mentioned above:)...Paso Robles, Ca. is our much unknown Napa Valley competitor with so many wineries, you cannot count 'em all. The countryside their around Paso Robles is 1st rate biker heaven, rolling small coastal mountains region and gives Napa Valley a huge run for your money. I prefer this wine region as its less traffic away from the SF crowds! AND youre right on top of the PCH 1 heading North for Monterey, WOW:). More millionaires live here, owning these fancy wineries than anywhere in California. JUST Incredible to see this and even if you don't stop and drink, you'll love the roads. Buy wine, drink later at camp:). If you sample taste, ride very safe, KNOW your ability to do so. I just rode all of this last weekend. If you room it, expect to pay in Monterey, CA anywhere from 75-80$ inland city to 200$ a night at the ocean. The 200$ gets you a room on the water at Monterey and its one of the best coasts anywhere, period! Wildlife there is incredible, whales within sight. Monterey Bay National Santuary:). Randy

I am here, been absent a while. We are riding 4 GSs out of Clovis sometime before the rally for Salem. F700GS,F800GS,GSA1200 and KLR650 as a group to most probably Hayfork meeting place. Dates yet to be announced by IAN, GS Giant leader again this year. He is doing his LIONS share as usual for that guy, from afar in Georgia. Me too in past years and still here to promote GS as much as possible:). All the above are family and we are still getting dates in order to leave, as some of the younger folk are stuck at work getting away:(. Stay in touch. WE WILL be sharing much more data soon enough. Look up Hayfork,CA, as its in the works to be N.Cal meeting place for GSGiants coming from South:):):). Dates soon. I am always looking to grow this group. I teach(not for career) offroad skills on GSA1200 and other smaller GSs, family full of'em:). So far my experiences I share with others is FREE, so abuse that if you will. My first GS was 1981 GS800, BMWs first model GS:). Just a tad bit experienced here and I love the spirit of sharing it all. Happy Trails. Randy"Polarbear"

Hey Randy,
Just wanted to let you know I am still planing on leaving NH on 7/9 -7/10 and riding out NoCAL. It will be good riding again!
Matt M

Last edited:
Back