• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

/5 cigar muffler question

8ninety8

Will the /5 cigar mufflers bolt on to a /6 system? Assuming it's a 38mm pipe? Every picture seen looks that they are about the same length, on a short or long wheelbase, they seem to line up where the other regular shaped muffler lines up at the back tire. Insides can't be any different, with a baffle block and louvered tube to exit. Don't like the massive look of those regular /6 units. Just wondering if anyone mounted the cigars on a /6 and if the bolt holes lined up?

I was thinking, since the difference in wheelbase comes at the rear swing arm, then the frame bolt holes for the mufflers should be at same place. And, /6 mufflers bolt right up to /5 short and long wheelbase as seen in various threads. Guess the only way is to buy'm and check it out, unless someone's got one and can check it out.

I dont have a fische here but are the frames the same for a /5 and /6???.......God bless.........Dennis

I dont have a fische here but are the frames the same for a /5 and /6???

LWB /5 and /6 are basically the same....rear subframe is different for the SWB /5. But the muffler attaches to small extensions from the lower part of the main frame loop...it extends back from where the swingarm sits. The mountings are probably the same for all /5 and /6, but given that the rear axle on the SWB /5 is roughly two inches farther forward, it seems that the muffler would extend out past the end of the bike. But as 898 indicated, maybe they all did that. Here's one picture where the muffler sticks pretty far aft...I think this is SWB:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/R75-5 (1) Matkovic.jpg

And this appears to be a LWB:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/R75-5 (10).jpg

The dimension from the header to the mount on the main frame is exactly the same. The only issue might be where the bottom of the left muffler has a formed relief for pulling the axle out of the swing arm. It might not line up too well.

The only issue might be where the bottom of the left muffler has a formed relief for pulling the axle out of the swing arm. It might not line up too well.

Can't remember about when inserting or removing the axle, even with the "handle" attached how much clearance it acutally has with the muffler. Seems that there isn't a problem in actually getting the tool or axle in place.......If it is longer though, is there a problem with removing a tire? Even with the tire deflated it could be quite a squeeze. Of course one could always do the stand it on the front forks trick, lay it on it's back or even it's side to overcome that problem......

For me, why are we even discussing this? Is there some kind of super deal that the Op is getting or just filler to dust off the old memory and common sense bank?

God bless........Dennis

Here's a photo with a R75 that I am changing from a SWB to a LWB. The mufflers were originally on the SWB.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 166
This is a photo of a R100 main frame with a SWB subframe with a R65 swing arm. Mufflers were from a SWB /5. Mods needed: trim the rear fender at the front and trim the rear brake switch bracket to accommidate the larger swingarm. This picture show the bike with /6 style mufflers on it, but it previously had the mufflers on it from the bike shone above.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for the great pictures and input. Tired of looking at the large bulbous blimps hanging off the back of bike. The old smoothly tapered, beautifully shaped /5 mufflers just look so much better. IMO. so before I take the plunge, better ask if anybody knows. The factory Zuena axle dimple doesn't line up on my /6 either.

The main frame is the same with /5 or /6 and with the SWB and LWB it's just the sub frame, seat, and battery compartment that is different between them. The mufflers, center stand, brake switch etc all mount to the main frame not the sub frame or the swing arm. So either series muffler will work. I have a /5 SWB main, SWB sub frame and SWB swing arm with 75/6 engine & transmission with /6 mufflers and they fit fine with no interference problems.

My view it is just the cone ends that are different.

I've been told that I've been riding with /6 mufflers on my /5 SWB. No compatibility problems here. Although I hate how HUGE/long they are causing them to stick out. I'm switching them out with a pair of 17" reverse cone shorties this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 257
Why not just go aftermarket? I went with Dunstall Replicas, significantly cheaper than BMW and I like the sound much, much better - so much I bought a reverse cone version for my Aermacchi. You're building your own unique tank for your R90s, why bother going with stock BMW options for the exhaust.

The only modification I had to do to make them work was drill an additional hole in the stock muffler mounting tab (slightly higher and centered) and voila. The mufflers clear the brake pedal (clearance was the reason I had to drill slightly higher) and you have tons of room to access the axle nut and remove the shocks

p.s ignore the face my daughter is making, she was getting tired of taking xmas pics :huh

IMG_2674.jpg

Back